PDA

View Full Version : TAF/METAR by SMS and WAP

drauk
29th Oct 2004, 13:31
fly.dsc.net (http://fly.dsc.net) now has two new features which you might find useful. TAF and METAR data is available by both WAP and SMS. The SMS service is only experimental at this stage, but you're welcome to try it.

What, if any, other services would you like to see available by WAP and/or SMS?

How many people would use an SMS service but not a WAP service (because of the technicalities of the latter)?

c-bert
29th Oct 2004, 14:11
Just tried the SMS TAF. An excellent service and a great idea. I must admit I much prefer SMS to WAP, not least of all because I don't know how to use WAP and it would cost me a lot more.

slim_slag
29th Oct 2004, 14:39
WAP can be a lot cheaper than SMS, especially with these new services when you have to pay to receive the SMS. SMS is a cash cow for these mobile companies, they really are ripping us off when you consider the cost of the SMS and the use of the network.

I think I pay around #2 per MB on my UK O2 tariff, this is a lot of WAP pages when it's all in the format that WAP uses. When roaming on foreign networks WAP is very expensive. WAP is easy to use once you get the hang of it, in fact the phone should configure itself using an SMS sent by your mobile phone company. WAP is also far more interactive and more powerful, I'd recommend it for this functionality.

Superb site and service by the way drauk.

nigelisom
29th Oct 2004, 15:19
Excellent service, I have just tried the SMS and it will be very useful when away from home/computer. Might find only 3 hits a week restrictive on a touring trip.

Many thanks for the information.