PDA

View Full Version : Old Cont. C125 ???

LOST-O2
29th Oct 2004, 06:54
Came across an aircraft the other day powered by a C125, an engine I've never heard of before. We all know the venerable C90 etc. But C125 ?
Is it a really old obscure unit, hard to get parts etc. ??

Does it have a good reliability record and can it run on mogas ?

Also I assume the 125 is the HP

Kingy
29th Oct 2004, 11:25
Hi There,

It's the forerunner of the 0300 commonly found in older C172s. The displacement is 270in, it puts out 125hp at (I think) 2550rpm. It was fitted to some models of Globe Swift. Also in the range at the time was the C90 and C145. I believe there is some commonality between the four and 6 cyl engines for parts (barrels, rods etc) but I’m not entirely sure. Fitted generally with Bendix S6 mags.

How do I know all this? well I owned one in a Spezio Tuholer, which we ran on mogas no problem - It used to sound really nice with the open stacks!

Are we talking about the same aircraft?

Kingy

LowNSlow
30th Oct 2004, 20:51
There was a C125 powered Practavia Sprite for sale on ebay a while ago, is this the aircraft you are looking at?

As the O-300 was an O-200 with an extra pair of cylinders so the C125 was a C85 with an extra pair of pots (I think).

DubTrub
30th Oct 2004, 22:25
Kingy:

ad on our aeroclub board, Tuholer for sale (Malcolm someone-or-other selling).

Guess the same one? Looks a nice plane. Missing a canopy or two, though.

Kingy
1st Nov 2004, 13:36
DT,

Yes that's it. It was also treated to a rather unfair flight test in Pilot a few months ago also. Nick Bloom the reviewer was at great pains to 'big up' the poor brakes and squirrily ground handling... he even stated his doubts on whether he could get the thing down and stopped on Staverton's 1000m runway! All I can say is we used to operate it off a 250m of bumpy hillside, admittedly with little room for error, but it went in and out ok. The brakes were rubbish but it was in no way hard to handle on the ground.

Anyway, we sold it to a guy who paid his money only to find he couldn't fit into it! Poor chap.

Kingy

LOST-O2
1st Nov 2004, 15:43
Peter. When I said looking, I meant looking at some pictures taken a while back, while off on a jolly. Not looking at aircraft for sale. Although one could be tempted ?
So yes it was the sprite, but I think the picture was taken at blackpool, tied down outside (read salt air, corossion).
It took me a while to figure out what it was, with sleak nose and tip tanks. It was only after looking at g-info I noticed the engine and thought 'What is that'.
There is another powered by a Cont. 0240 ? another old unit ?