PDA

View Full Version : ILS Approaches

Late Landing
30th Jul 2000, 12:22
Discussion at our multinationally staffed ATSU recently centered on phraseology associated with ILS approaches.
The scene is an aircraft radar vectored onto the localizer at an altitude below the initial approach altitude. Once established he is 1) 'cleared for the ILS approach', OR, 2) instructed to 'descend on the ILS'.
Both praseologies are in use here (by ATCOs from different parts of the world).

Arguments for both sides seem valid. 1) Unless the aircraft is cleared for an approach (cleared fr the ILS), there is no published M/A procedure. 2) An instruemnt approach is a 'package' (in this case a VOR/DME/ILS approach) and a cleaerance is an authorization for the whole procedure as opposed to joining it midway through, and as it is an instruction (descend on the ILS) the M/A is applicable.

Does anyone have any comments on which is correct / more correct?

------------------
My views are personal and DEFINITELY don't reflect those of my employer!

fweeeeep
30th Jul 2000, 13:34
Working at the same airport as the Late Lander above, and considering the same situation; Do airports around the world publish Radar Vectored "ILS Approach Plates" or do the ATC's vector aircraft to the final phase of what would be a procedural approach?

Grandad Flyer
30th Jul 2000, 16:24
fweeeeep, although I am a mere pilot I find both terms are used. There are no radar vectored approach plates (at least not for any airports I have ever visited).
We always cross check where you are vectoring us and at what height, based on the cross check heights or final approach check height and/or distance from the runway.
I have found that in general overseas, when on "final vector" we are "cleared ILS approach" which infers cleared to intercept localiser and the glidepath. If we are going to intercept the localiser and be well above the glidepath, and we are happy we aren't going to hit any big hills (being off the published approach at the time) then we will generally descend to a sensible altitude to enable us to have a chance of getting on the glidepath as soon as we are established on the localizer.
Usually though we will check by saying something like "confirm cleared to descend xxxx feet" or "at our discretion".
In the UK we are always given a vector and told to "call established on the localiser" then when we call established we are told "descend with the ILS" or sometimes we are cleared for the localiser and told "further descent with the glide".
Which is all a bit vague really. Especially when the frequency is busy. Why not just "cleared for the ILS" or are you expecting us not to descend with the glidepath until you tell us to. In which case, what happens in lost comms situation?
However if we think we will be too high we will generally ask for further descent before being localiser established.
I would say it causes a minor amount of concern in that sometimes we are not 100% sure of what we have been cleared to do and so will ask for confirmation.
It would be nice if there was a clearer standard throughout.

fweeeeep
30th Jul 2000, 17:32
Grandad Flyer,

Thank you for the response.

My feelings are exactly as yours are in as much as not "Clearing someone for the approach" leaves them hanging out to dry.

If I were a pilot (I am not) I would surely ask "Am I cleared for the Approach" at which time I would hope to hear YES. What would the ATC's who do not use the approach clearance say immediately after saying No ???

Professional Pilot
30th Jul 2000, 20:45
Since we are on the topic of ILS approaches, can someone tell me if we are being radar vectored and are cleared to intercept the Localizer, may we change our heading left or right to allow for a better interception (taking into consideration speed, distance, intercept and bank angle).

Thanks

Late Landing
30th Jul 2000, 21:10
GF

An instruction to 'call established on the localizer' does not approve descent on the glide slope. It is merely a 'tracking' instruction. Hence the need for a further instruction to 'descend on the glide slope' or 'descend on the ILS'.

If you are established on the localizer some distance from the airfeld, and then 'cleared for the ILS approach' (as opposed to descend on the glide slope), I would expect you to descend to the intermediate approach altitude without any reference to myself (ATC), and then further descent on the glide slope. This bearing in mind that terrain separation is the responsibility of the pilot (except whilst on radar vectors).

Any comments from UK or Aussie ATCOs?

------------------

Grandad Flyer
30th Jul 2000, 22:56
Late landing, yes, that is what I have always assumed in the past. But we always like to confirm that we have been cleared for the descent just in case (only when abroad really, I have yet to be "cleared for the approach" in the UK).
But why can't it be standard.
And if the radio is busy when we are trying to call "localiser established" we end up getting high and then buggering about trying to get the height and speed off, rather than doing a normal approach.
And what would you expect us to do, should we intercept the localiser and then lose communication with you? I guess we have no choice but to go missed approach and then follow the relevant lost comms procedure from there, not the safest of things to be doing in certain situations, considering that you could just have come and made an approach.
What are the ATC reasons behind not clearing us down the glidepath, only onto the localiser? This is something I have never understood.

31st Jul 2000, 00:53
If I've said to you "turn left heading 280, closing from the left, report established", I'd think it was perfectly reasonable to assume that this instruction constituted permission to descend once established (if that makes sense).

However, the MATS Part 1 (Annex E [attach] 7) states that the correct phraseology is:

"Cleared for (aid) approach (runway)",

there being no reference to "descend with the ILS" or anything similiar [most ATCOs in the UK will have been taught to say this at CATC, though].

Muddy waters.....

fweeeeep
31st Jul 2000, 07:41
Pro Pilot,

Definately Not !!

When sequencing traffic, the last thing the ATC wants you to do is fly a heading or speed other than that which he/she has assigned to you. In some instances, the difference between a 4 nm spacing on final and a 3nm spacing on final may earn you a Go Around. You may of course request an alteration to your flight trajectory.

You should find that the intercept heading to the localiser is no more than 30 - 40 degrees from the in bound course.

Glum Weeper
31st Jul 2000, 21:54
Having used both phraseologies, ie UK and ICAO it took some time to get rid of " closin g the localiser from the left/right report established", then " descend with the glideslope/ILS". Now I`ve got used to the more ICAO standard " cleared for the ILS ( rwy ) not only does it make more sense but it naturally uses less R/T time.
If, when clearing someone for the ILS when they are above the published initial approach altitude it makes sense to me that this is not done in an area that would be unsafe for the pilot to immedialtely descend to that altitude. Therefore whenever I clear someone for the ILS appraoch on a closing heading or already established on Loc it is inferred that they may descend now to the published initial appraoch level. And naturally when on the Loc descend with the glideslope.
As for intercepting below the initial approach level, then I would assume ( yup, hate that word too!) that when cleared for the approach the pilot then descends from whatever the last assigned level was on the glideslope. Obviously he would have been at a terrain safe level already assuming under radar control.
In short I think the Internatonal/ICAO phraseology works better.

fweeeeep
1st Aug 2000, 11:18
There I was thinking that UK was ICAO compliant.

:)

1st Aug 2000, 16:22
I've told you a mis-truth!

My collegue has just pointed out that there is a separate section in the above mentioned annex entitled "ILS Approaches", which does contain the "closing the localiser" phraseology; how silly of me to assume that the ILS would be covered in the section entitled "Instrument Approaches to Landing" !!

Grandad Flyer
2nd Aug 2000, 00:44
Well! This thread has opened my eyes. Without being rude, erm, it seems that there is a bit of discrepancy here amongst you controllers! How are we supposed to know what is going on...!!!
Anyway, one comment. Someone said if they had given us a vector, told us to close from the left/right and call established, that they would expect us to descend on the glidepath. Someone else said that that call doesn't infer you can descend with the glidepath until someone calls us and says "descend with the glidepath" or whatever.
So I am still confused.
And I still don't know what you would expect of us if we are on a vector to call loc established and then lose comms. Can we descend or can't we? Do we go missed approach from the height we are at?
Anyone have a definitive answer?
And why can't we just be "cleared for the (ILS) runway (34)" when on an intercept heading?
What is the reason NOT to tell us both parts (LOC and G/S) together? Or is it just because you like to talk to us twice instead of once? And what about when we can't get that call in because you are busy, to say we are established localiser and can we descend with the glide, as we sail past above it and then have a dirty dive to do (whilst slowing up and reconfiguring)?
So many questions, so few answers...

aluminium persuader
2nd Aug 2000, 03:33
Here's something else to ruminate over - having controlled at purely procedural ariports, purely radar airports and those that use both (all UK), the only times I've said "cleared for the ILS approach" are for a procedural ILS. Otherwise it's been "radar vectors to the ILS", and I think that's the basic difference. It's only with a radar-vectored ILS that "descend with the ILS" has ever come into it.

------------------
Once more unto the breach, Dear Friends...

fweeeeep
2nd Aug 2000, 05:50
Grandad Flyer,

I appologise on behalf of the entire ATC community. I myself wish that there were one standard and procedure which applied no matter where you were.

Bagheera
2nd Aug 2000, 06:06
Grandad,
these flatlands often get confused,when you got hills round you,you vector within the RVA,put the aircraft on a closing heading,descend the aircraft in order to intercept from below the GS and further with the procedure...ie turn left heading 330 closing from the left...report established?......descend 2300 feet further with the glide.

olivasnooze
2nd Aug 2000, 06:57
Some approach plates are printed for radar vectores to the ILS. If there is no initial procedure to the ILS ie the approach starts at the CF and there is no published published procedure to arrive there. In these approaches often there is no locator only DME hieght checks.

Late Landing
2nd Aug 2000, 09:21
Grandad Flyer

If the radar vector instruction is for the localizer then that's what it is for, the localizer only. The instruction is quite implecit and mentions nothing about the ILS or glide slope. (Similarly a vector towards the final approach track of a VOR/DME approach does not authorize descent on the approach.) However if the vector instruction is for the ILS, then sure, descent on the glide slope is anticipated and expected.

As for a comm failure, what would you do if, whilst on a radar heading, or a VOR radial, you had a comm failure? Think of tracking inbound on the localizer, without an authorization to descend on the ILS/glide slope, along the same lines.

As I see it, if I only clear you for the localizer at a specific altitude, I can cross traffic below you without a worry.

Along the same lines as Aluminium Persuader. An instrument approach procedure is a complete 'package', and as such it is usually applicable only to a procedural operation. If (radar vectors for the ILS) you are vectored to the localizer and/or descended below the intial approach altitude, you cannot complete the 'package' (cleared for the ILS approach). Hence the need for different instruction, 'continue on the ILS' or 'descend n the glide slope'.

Unfortunately you will find that ATCs worldwide will have differing 'schools of thought' on many issues, and regional interpretations may add even more differences. Likewise US trained pilots have different interpretations to UK or even Australian pilots; hence the need for Company specific SOPs (see current thread in Rumours section).
Unfortunately ICAO only publish recommended procedures. What the answer is, I don't know, but perhaps, as was mentioned earlier, if unsure of what is expected, ask for clarification.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Late Landing (edited 02 August 2000).]

Goldfish Jack
2nd Aug 2000, 23:59
For what it is worth, my 5 cents:

LATE LANDING: A pilot should be told what type of approach to expect, albeit on first contact, either via radio or via a STAR, thus it is acceptable to use "cleared for the ILS"

FWEEEEEP: As I understand it and have tried for the last 15 odd years, ATCs vector aircraft for the last part of the "procedural approach". Right down in Africa they have some airfields, which have procedures which allow the ATC to vector an aircraft for a VOR or VOR/CME approach if the ILS is u/s and the procedure is "expect radar vectors for the last part of the VOR procedure.

Hence if you clear them for the approach, it also covers the GA as published in the procedural approach.

Often on STARS, it will state there that if the pilot is vectored for the approach and they GA, they must comply with the GA procedure the ILS procedure

I do agree there is a desperate need for 1 standard throughout the world - have you been reading those pages about the French, etc speaking French to their own pilots, as in Spain, Turkey etc?

What would life be without standards and rules. After all don't we have rules so that we can break them???????!!!!

PROF PILOT: I do not think you can fly your own heading. The heading is given to intercept the ILS, but can also be a combination to ensure separation from other aircrat, thus by flying your own HDG, you could induce a reduction.

I know from past experience that I have seen aircraft leave their last cleared alt and descent to the inbound altitude (of the procedural approach) when they have been cleared for the approach. I have a habit of clearing aircraft for the approach and to leave xxxx alt on the glideslope. Might not be ICAO but at least I know what the pilot will do and they won't descend too early.

Comments???

need to know
3rd Aug 2000, 03:12
I think there should be a "Cleared ILS approach runway..." instruction either with the intercept heading or after the report of being established on the Loc, depending on the joining altitude. You may be on the Loc at 20 miles descending to a specific altitude to join the glideslope and so without the Cleared ILS or Cleared for the approach it may be confusing. In relation to a Comms failure on the Loc without the clearance for the approach, I would expect the appropriate transponder code and the aircraft to land at the nearest suitable aerodrome i.e if it's clear, the one in front of you.

[This message has been edited by need to know (edited 02 August 2000).]

fweeeeep
3rd Aug 2000, 07:38
Hello all

Watching this thread only scares me as to the reality of the non-standard practice we have here in Air Traffic Control.

In the profession that I believed was regulated and controlled, standardized and monitored, we have no group standard, and nobody (in charge) seems to care.

Reference the ILS thing: What if an airfield has more than one procedural approach plate that ends in an ILS approach to the same runway (VOR/DME/ILS & ARC ILS)? What if ATC clears the a/c for the Radar Vectored ILS approach, the a/c then has a radio failure associated with the missed approach? Does he go to the first missed approach for that ILS that he can find? Or the second one in this case?

Is there a need for ICAO to make less recommendation and more stipulation? Maybe we (ICAO hemisphere) should look at Radar Vectored ILS approach plates????

Why not? There are probably more Radar Vectored ILS approaches made every hour than there are procedural ILS approaches flown every day - around the world.

When we all know that most accidents are made up of a series of small events, why tempt fate with this little link? An unsure pilot in a foreign land flying an ILS into an airfield that he has never been to before and then we give him a service that is different to anything he has experienced in his flying career.

Late Landing
3rd Aug 2000, 09:11
Goldfish,

I agree a pilot should be given the type of approach to expect on first contact, but, as it is a required standard, I didn't feel that for this discussion it was required input.

I noticed that you appear shocked that a aircraft would descend to the inbound (intermediate) altitude once cleared for the approach. Assuming the aircraft was established on the localizer, once cleared for the ILS approach the radar terrain responsibility of ATC falls away. Descent to the intermediate approach altitude is, therefore, at the pilots discretion.
Furthermore, this new clearence (cleared for the ILS approach) supercedes previous clearances, therefore any speed control or altitude restriction would fall away unless it was appended to this new clearance.
On issuing a clearance for any approach you should therefore anticiapte, 1) that the aircraft would descend to the intermediate approach altitude (assuming he was established on the localizer/final approach track), and, 2) he may reduce speed. Both options without reference to ATC.

Fweeeeep, I agree that there definitely appears to be a need for standardization. Radar vectored ILS approach plates, or a provision made in a procedural approach plate (eg. VOR/DME/ILS) for a radar vectored intercept, should be the norm. Then there would be less room for differing interpretations.

------------------

Capt Pit Bull
4th Aug 2000, 11:05
My two pennies worth:

RT procedures should be designed so that the thing which is most likely to happen needs the least RT.

Having been told to report established, its pretty obvious that far and away the most likely scenario is that I will subsequently be told to descend with the glide. I fly maybe 300 ILS approaches into LGW every year and nothing different has ever happened.

What am I supposed to do if I have an R/T failure (or more likely can't get a word in edgeways)? Technically, I don't have an approach clearance (and therefore I don't have a missed approach procedure either!). All I can do is follow the localiser, at the last cleared altitude, to the overhead of the field. Once I arrive overhead, thats it. Now I have to concentrate really hard and teleport my aircraft outside of controlled airspace.

This RT procedure really makes life awkward for us. My company SOPs do not actually allow us to arm the GS until the 'descend with the glideslope' call is received. If we can't get the 'established' call in, as happens every now and again when you are vectored to intercept the GS and LOC simultaneously (which would otherwise be a good thing), then we end up above the glide, plus tight speed control to 4 dme, which is potentially awkward (fortunately the ATR is very forgiving in this respect, I'm not sure the big boys find it quite so easy).

Now, the significantly less likely scenario (in my experience anyway) is that ATC wish to cross traffic below me, especially since by then I'm already cleared (at LGW) to 2,000'. Just tell me something like "Cleared to establish localiser [runway] ONLY, maintain altitude [specified altitude] until advised."

Basically, how often do you cross traffic below an aircraft that is intercepting the localiser? If it less often than 50%, the RT procedure should include clearance to descend with the glide, in the minimum possible number of words. Something like 'Cleared ILS 26L'.

If its more often than 50%, the current system makes sense.

As a side note, I have found at one particular airport in Germany a tendancy to be told to descend with the glide *before* you're established. How about that?

Back to the original topic. I reckon that RT procedures are due an overhaul (see the discusion a few months back about speed control).

There is also a need to get correct RT taught to pilots. It really doesn't help when a significant proportion of senior pilots are still using phrases like 're-cleared', or bollock you for being 'to verbose' when using published procedures (like including the words 'Altitude' or 'Flight level' in read backs of vertical levels).

When I listen to the R/T in the London TMA the standardisation from ATC is very good (not quite perfect, but what is?). We may not all agree with the standard methods, but thats a different issue. But the standard of RT from a lot of the aircraft is poor.

RT use is one of the major skills flight crew require, *yet it barely features in recurrent training at all*.

I'll close this post with a little chuckle. Here's a transmission I heard the other day, on the ground at a UK airport:

"[Callsign], If you're not with me, please call tower, ###.##"

Regards all.

CPB

[This message has been edited by Capt Pit Bull (edited 04 August 2000).]

Bigmouth
4th Aug 2000, 13:37
Very well said, Capt. Pit Bull. Despite my patting LON controllers on the back a while back, they are very guilty of causing some very unnecessary confusion with their (lack of) ILS clearances. I never had a problem with an ATC clearance for an ILS until my first time into Heathrow. Why is this so hard? Let´s have a tin-pusher boss explain this, or better yet, change this very local procedure.

¨Leave five on the glide, tower inside, 26.9, see ya.¨

Gonzo
4th Aug 2000, 16:24
Capt Pit Bull,

I can only speak for Heathrow, but very often a/c cross underneath inbounds as they are establishing or on the GS itself. On westerlies the helicopter routes along the Thames to-from battersea have max altitudes which are stepped up to provide vert. sep. from the Glideslope. On Easterlies, light a/c and helicopters very often route Ascot to Burnham NDB not above 1000' (north-south crossing the centreline at, ooh, 8-9 miles I think). One thing to bear in mind is that in both cases, the a/c are working Heathrow SVFR or Thames Radar on a different frequency than Director or Tower.

Gonzo

fweeeeep
5th Aug 2000, 08:12
Capt Bull,

Mostly in agreement with your sentiments thank you.

Gonzo,

Thank you for clarifying that, it seems that Lon Heathrow has adopted a specific procedure to compensate for a specific situation, which is totally understandable. The problem is, that "many" ATC's around the world look to Heathrow ATC as the Top of the Heap.

So :"I do it that way cause that's the way they do it at Heefrow"

Would it not be easier to publish Radar Vectored ILS approach plates, so that all the limitations and requirements are printed, the a/c can be cleared for the approach, know what to do on the missed approach etc.....

I would love to see plates published where I work for a specific radar vectored ILS...

Late Landing
5th Aug 2000, 12:58
fweeeep

Reference the ad hoc changes at Heathrow to satisfy a shortcoming in the system, isn't that called progress? Don't all systems evolve along similar lines? Don't forget that most of the proceedures we operate to were designed when there were fewer aircraft operating, and its time that ICAO moved forward at the rate the airline industry is growing. If not, there will be more requirement for local ad hoc changes to proceedures resulting in more non-standard operations.
Couldn't agree more on the need or radar vectored ILS plates at your unit.... but why stop there when there is so much more that needs to be done? But that's another subject(s).

------------------

fweeeeep
5th Aug 2000, 13:22
Late Landing,

Perhaps my statement was not clear.

If there is a regular requirement (as at Heathrow) to cross aircraft on final, below arriving traffic, and these aircraft are crossing on (assumption) fixed publish tracks, then publishing a Radar Vectored ILS approach plate which takes that (Low Level) crossing traffic into consideration allows aircraft to be Cleared for that approach.

There appears to be a need (from pilots perspective) to be "Cleared for the approach", and to be honest, as an ATC, Clearing an Aircraft for a specific approach gives me a feeling of completion as well. Knowing that I have cleared an aircraft for a specific approach brings everything together and removes any/all uncertainty.

For me, telling an aircraft to intercept the localizer and then descend on the glide slope (without specifically clearing them for the approach) feels like I am leaving him out there to dry.

I am not criticising the UK way of doing it, I just feel that they have made a local compromise to facilitate traffic, and that a published approach will make it all nice and official.

Are there any pilots out there that feel left out in the wind not being cleared for the approach?

Gonzo
5th Aug 2000, 15:15
Fweeeeep,

Good point. Please do not consider me an expert, having only just validated in Aerodrome control <g>. I also am trying to understand the reasoning behind the differing phraseology. Certainly at the beginning of last year, when I was undergoing the Approach Radar course at the UK ATC college at Bournemouth, the following words were rammed into us all:

"XXX, turn left heading 290, closing the localiser from the left, report established".

"XXX is established".

"XXX, roger, descend on the ILS, QNH 1013, aerodrome elevation 30ft".

However, of course on first contact you'd tell the a/c "XXX, radar vectors ILS Approach runway 26".

Now I'm worndering if that "Radar vectors ILS" could be considered a 'clearance', in the same way the issue of a SID and squawk is an 'airways clearance'. If you get such an airways clearance from Delivery, you don't pushback, taxi, line up and take off without talking to anybody else.
So perhaps the UK considers the "Radar vectors ILS" to be the 'approval', or 'clearance' for the approach, but just as you do not line up for departure before receiving a line up instruction from the tower, you don't descend on the ILS GS before being cleared to do so by Approach?

Just a few thoughts!
Have now donned my nomex y-fronts in prep to be shot down in flames!

Gonzo

fweeeeep
5th Aug 2000, 16:28
Gonzo,

I don't think anyone here will shoot you down in flames.

The initial contact on Approach, "XXX, radar vectors ILS Approach runway 26", should be preceeded by "Expect". That is so the flight deck crew can start planning and take out the appropriate plates for the approach they expect, and can brief on things like Decision Height, Missed approach etc... Which raises the point again, if there is no published Radar Vectored ILS approach, and there are a few different approaches published for Rwy26 which end in an ILS, which one should they brief on ?

Furtharmore, when you issue a route clearance or "after-departure" clearance, you normally say A/C xxx is CLEARED ...... therefore inplying a clearance which has a Clearance Limit.

As previously mentioned in this thread, I believe that ICAO should play a more modern role in the modern ATC environment, and start clearing up all the grey areas.

ATCOMAN
5th Aug 2000, 20:39
regarding the 'crossing underneath one on the localiser' scenario, whatever the book says, if I've vectored an aircraft onto the Loc at whatever altitude, I would expect him to descend on intercepting the G/S even if he hasn't had the 'descend with the ILS' message. If he didn't, due to frequency congestion, R/T fail or whatever, it only makes the whole situation more complicated. If I did have traffic to affect a descent (as often happens when integrating slow trainers on procedural approaches) I would issue an instruction 'maintain altitude ****ft until advised' possibly with traffic information, that way everone knows what's going on.

Gonzo
6th Aug 2000, 02:01
Fweeeeep,

<The initial contact on Approach, "XXX, radar vectors ILS Approach runway 26", should be preceeded by "Expect". >

Yepper, I see. Interesting that this phrase 'expect' was also drummed out of us at the college.

Gonzo

Grandad Flyer
6th Aug 2000, 02:44
Just a brief note, as this is getting interesting!
Someone mentioned about the "expect (whatever approach)" so that the crew can brief etc.
Generally we brief well in advance of that point. I do short haul, but relatively long sectors (typical charter) and we generally set everything up around an hour before we land, provided we can pick up the ATIS or equivalent.
We will normally set the aircraft up for the kind of approach we would expect at that airport.
ie. If LGW or STN it is most likely a radar vectored ILS. Interestingly, Tenerife South is a radar vectored ILS approach but we area always "cleared for the approach" and told when we are on the final vector.
We put the whole shebang into the computer (procedural approach if that is what is published) then take out the bits we know we are never going to fly, and put a little direct line to the centre fix.
Of course, we can change all this should something else happen (which it never does).
I would still like to see either radar vectors to intercept the glideslope from below, giving us enough time to get that radio call in without ending up above the glide OR "final vector to intercept the localizer, cleared for the ILS approach runway XX". If you have people crossing beneath us, well you know what height we are going to be where, if we are on the glideslope, right? So whats the problem? I guess it is kind of a failsafe as you wouldn't normally plan for us to do anything but intercept the glidepath (I assume you wouldn't plan for us to get above the glide and then have to try and get back on it).
If it is that vital to safety, then the "maintain altitude" call seems a good one.
By the way, for the newer ATCers, if we are trying to capture from above we generally have to go into either manual flying or another automatic mode, have power back at idle, sometimes have speedbrake out as well,
and then when we capture we have to get the aircraft back in the right mode, get the speed back (more engine at idle) then get the aircraft stabilised, configured and with the power back up by the time we are around the 1000 foot height. Not a good thing to do.
Just so's you know.

Late Landing
6th Aug 2000, 05:37
What a can of worms we have opened here!

1) 'Cleared for the ILS', means (assuming estblished on the localizer) descend to the intermediate approach altitude and then further with the glide slope... but if I have a comm failure and there is more than one ILS for the runway, what do I do.
2) 'Cleared for the ILS', means that you should maintain your last altitude to the glide slope... but if I have a comm failure and there is more than one ILS for the runway, what do I do.
3) 'Establish on the localizer', means cleared for the ILS approach and the implications as in #1.
4) 'Establish on the localizer', means only that, do not descend until advised... but what about a comm failure.
5) 'Descend with/on the ILS', means maintain present altitude to the glide slope and then down you go... but am I cleared for the approach, and what about the relevent missed approach procedure.
6) It's OK if you make up a local arrangement to suit your local conditions.
7) It's not OK to deviate from ICAO RECOMMENDED practices and procedures.

Wow!!!!

As the world becomes smaller, and people with different 'training basics' work together, we will find more of these different interpretations becoming apparent. Too many times in ATC, and I also suspect the flying world, different background have different views on procedures, and each think that they are the only correct one. I think that at the end of it all, as long as the pilot is in no doubt about the intended procedure to be carried out, some variation in phraseology is acceptable. In all cases above, the pilot is expecting the 'advertised' approach; therefore by inference (if nothing else) that is what he would be expected, and no doubt, he would expect, to do. If he was in any doubt he would ask, just as I do if confronted with a, 'non-standard', pilot request.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Late Landing (edited 06 August 2000).]

alt sel
8th Aug 2000, 21:03
Gosh !! Wow !!

This is really getting into the nitty gritty!

Here Here
- to the person who said we pilots have already briefed LONG before you tell us what approach to "expect" - I have flown for two airlines and both had some reference to the briefing in the (pre-)descent checks.
- to the person who explained just how fiddly it can be to try to intercept the glide from above - both large types I have flown are very tricky in this situation.
- to all you ATCs who are helping to give a picture of your world and how we can help (to this pilot anyway)
- to the person who brought up this discussion - food for thought eh?

I am certainly going to put some thought into the coms failure situation and discuss it with some of the guys on the line and see what people think.

(Iam also going to drop in on this forum more - and probably ask some of those questions that I have always wanted to know but been too embarassed to ask!) :)

Thanks once again for your help!

fweeeeep
9th Aug 2000, 07:44
I have taken the liberty of posting this discussion on the Rumours & News Section, and already had 38 responses. I did this to try and get a wider pilot's perspective.

The link : http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum1/HTML/009224.html

Let's all move that side and carry this one through ?

U B Nadd
13th Aug 2000, 14:03
Can of worms or what?
The purpose of ATC is to separate aircraft in a crowded sky. Remember, pilots, you are not alone. There are many other airspace users in the vicinity of airfields that have to be kept out of your way (or you out of theirs).
Cleared for ILS Approach means: carry out the published procedure. This often means descend to initial altitude and assumes no conflicting traffic.
In a situation such as 27 approaches to LHR there is another airport (LCY) to separate from plus a Heliport (Battersea) and countless other transit aircraft in the vicinity. That is why you are told to establish on the localiser at 3000 or 4000ft and further descent with the G/P. "Cleared for ILS Approach" in this instance would mean that you could descend to 2500ft (if my memory serves me right)before established inbound on the LOC.
Remember:
(a)the two instructions have clear and distinct meanings, and
(b) you are not the only aircraft in the sky.

Bluespectre
16th Aug 2000, 05:05
There seems to me that there are a lot of confused 'Drivers' & 'Pushers' out there. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif After 20 years of ATC in Australia I have no doubt as to what I need to say when radar vectoring an aircraft onto ILS final.

I give a heading to intercept the Localizer then if it suits the sequence the phrase is "ABC Cleared ILS approach RWY..., report established". But there is always a positive instruction/clearance for the approach. As Australia is trying to standardise with ICAO we no longer say "Cleared for Final" except for a TACAN approach for Military aircraft if they are held or told to expect holding at the intermediate fix on the approach.
Hope this helps clear the confusion.

Another element of ATC, (at least in AUST) is that an aircraft should be assigned the Initial Approach Altitude prior to the clearance for the approach. :)
------------------

[This message has been edited by Bluespectre (edited 19 August 2000).]

Capt Pit Bull
17th Aug 2000, 01:16
U B Nadd.

Flight Crew are well aware that we are not the only aircraft in the sky.

I hear what you are saying, which appears to be (in the context of a radar vectored ILS)that the phrase 'Cleared ILS' means that we might decide to drop down to the platform altitude immediately and then with the GS.

Well, if thats what it means clearly it can't be used when there is an aircraft crossing beneath.

I have to say though that although 'cleared ILS' might permit this, in practice it is extremely unlikely anyone would do it. If I'm in ALT HOLD at say 4,000 feet, on an intercept heading, then all I have to do is press the APP button on my autopilot. The aircraft will then intercept the LOC, and then leave 4,000 on the glide, at which point I make one movement of the power levers. Easy.

To do what you worry about would require much more button pressing:Press the APP button as before. Dialling in the platform altitude, announcing it to my colleauge and getting his agreement. Then selecting V/S mode, and winding in a sensible value. Then decreasing power. Then waiting for the altitude to capture, and restoring power. Then waiting for the glide, then reduce power again. Not difficult, but why would I bother?

None of this really helps though, if the law permits it, sooner or later someone will do it.

This goes back to what I said in my earlier post - RT is long overdue an overhaul. Anything which is common needs a truncated procedure word or two rather than multiple transmissions.

For example, a phrase like:

'Cleared ILS Runway 26L' could mean 'do the approach and do whatever you like vertically as long as you are on the glide before descending below the platform'.

Then:
'Cleared ILS 26L From Altitude 4000' could be used if you have a crosser beneath.

Obviously I'm not suggesting people make up their own RT procedures - standardised irritating RT is better than non standardised (better the devil you know), I'm just discussing possibilities.

Is there any way to improve things within the existing methods? For example, are you supposed to hear me report 'localiser established' before you can clear me to descend with the glide, or would it be possible to say 'Callsign headins 300 to establish, descend with the glide, report [fully] established'?

One things for certain - we seem to have the neatest (i.e. shortest) clearance ("cleared ILS") reserved for something we would never want to do, namely drop down to the platform and then pick up the glide.

CPB

[This message has been edited by Capt Pit Bull (edited 16 August 2000).]

Flap 5
26th Aug 2000, 23:34
Capt Pit Bull

Agree with everything you say. The only problem is, having read through this thread, it appears we do not know this devil well at all!