PDA

View Full Version : Do plank hours count?

One of these days
28th Oct 2004, 09:29
Hi there,

just about to start my PPL(H) with CPL(H) in the future.

I have got 79 hours fixed wing and I have just heard that with a 100 hours(A) + 50 hours(H) I could do a CPL(H) FAA in the states. Then an FI(H) and the be employable in the US as an instructor. Does anyone know anything about this? And would I be employable after my FI? or would this route to FI be snubbed by employers in the business?

It seems a lot cheaper way of getting to CPL(H)+FI, especially as I already have the majority of plank hours, than the intergrated or modular route.

Thank you

Steven

pa42
29th Oct 2004, 13:21
purely on numbers, yes it could be done.

But the 150-hr f/w commercial has to include a bunch of specialized training (10 IR, 10 complex, etc) so you might have to add a bunch of expensive stuff to the 150 if what you already have is C150-intensive.

AND just the heli CFI may need more $$$$$ to pass insurance requirements, it seems to be a generality in USA that insurance requires 300 hrs heli before the school can use you as CFI. Building that extra 150 hrs in helis is very expensive ($30,000?).

PM or Email me with detailed time-in-type hours if you care to work out the needed additions.

Dave
a Chief Flight Instructor