PDA

View Full Version : Weird takeoff

davethelimey
28th Oct 2004, 07:42
I know everyone hates these things, but what on earth is going on here? (http://www.simradar.com/Feature/2682/Odd_commercial_airliner_take_off.html)

TheOddOne
28th Oct 2004, 07:59
Dunno. Practicing for Farnborough or Paris maybe?

Manufacturers seem keen to fly their a/c at min weight and max angles during these shows to demonstrate superior performance. Actually, of course, in reality the superior performance that operators want demonstrated is lower seat/mile cost...

The Odd One

Ka8 Flyer
28th Oct 2004, 08:04
I believe that was Eurowing's first A319. It demonstrates (in an empty aircraft) Airbus'es FBW technology. The pull-up maneuver you can see there represents 2.5 G's - the maximum the computers will allow. At not too high speeds you'll see a very fast increase in pitch :-)

Regards,

Mark

Kerosene Kraut
28th Oct 2004, 09:46
Airshow demo with empty cabin sometime ago. Pilots from company not from Airbus.

I never feel comfortable with all those sometimes violent airliner demonstrations (namely steep turns almost at stall speed) at airshows. However if considered necessary I'd very much prefer manufacturer's test pilots doing it.

javelin
29th Oct 2004, 16:14
Hello Young First Officer....... Have you ever done a full power empty take off before ?

To all who have enjoyed - Oh Glorious days :ok:

B2N2
30th Oct 2004, 13:11
Once witnessed a F100 do a full pwr take-off with only the crew on board. They switched to dep freq. ( 2000') within the airport boundary...:ok:

Bigwhitelovemachine
30th Oct 2004, 17:19
Max thrust takeoff in a KC135R model out of Bangor (go the Maineiacs), at -10C with only 4 hrs of gas onboard.......28 degrees NU (limited due fuel boost pump uncovering) accelerating, VSI pegged off the clock (6000fpm) and after commencing a 30deg bank turn at 500' thru 180 deg we were 10000' (yep 10K) going abeam the runway. Now that is a go machine....I don't think there is a heavy in the world that can outperform the R model, it is an absolute handfull at light weights.

rotornut
30th Oct 2004, 19:32
I never feel comfortable with all those sometimes violent airliner demonstrations (namely steep turns almost at stall speed) at airshows.
Neither do I. There was a certain Nimrod that did that a few years ago here in Toronto at an airshow...the rest is history.

Howard Hughes
30th Oct 2004, 23:09
B2N2,

That's nothing special, I can make 4000' inside the boundary in my Jetsream off runway 34 at Melbourne, from full length of course!!

Cheers, HH.

:ok: