PDA

View Full Version : Contract Controllers - Australia

LoLevel
25th Oct 2000, 17:45
We are all anonymous here (sort of), so:

If Air Services comes up with offer of contracts in the next say 14 weeks (for example!), how many would take the extra 25-30% salary to forfeit sick leave entitlements and a few others, on a fixed term contract?

While your thinking about it, how many of your colleagues with maybe only 2-3 years to go would take it? Do you think your colleauges would take money now to maybe fragment the conditions for those in the future?

------------------
[email protected]
"The views expressed here are a personal rant and rave and in no way reflect the views of my employer/s "

Four Seven Eleven
26th Oct 2000, 09:25
I would certainly consider it. The 'life span' of a controller is limited, particularly since stream specific training removed any semblance of a career path from the job. One you have done your time at the console, you will have to resign to get promoted anyway. (All fourth level managers and above are on contract.)

Of course, Civil Air would NEVER trade off rights and conditions of future controllers to enrich current members, would they??!

[This message has been edited by Four Seven Eleven (edited 29 October 2000).]

Adamastor
29th Oct 2000, 02:50
You mean again?!?

showmethemoney
8th Nov 2000, 09:29
I think if history has anything to do with it there will be a sell out. There are way too many people looking out for themselves within ATC. ( not a bad thing at certain times ) If there was ever a time to stick together it is now.
Further more the original figures would represent the sort of pay rise that we should be looking at with out a reduction in our conditions. I know that the role that I have plays a greater role to the airlines than that of a baggage handler or refueller, yet some of our workmates are paid less than these guys.
I guess it is something to think about. We should really consider what we are worth to the aviation industry, not just to ASA.

karrank
9th Nov 2000, 13:47
I'm middle aged, but hope for quite a few years at the console yet. Not thanks for a contract.

The crunch might come if and when DTI is ditched, plenty of spare staff, so if sufficient b*st*rdry is not visited upon us in the forthcoming EBA I'd say the options might be limited.

Lets hope for about 140 accepted for Maastrict (excuse smelling).

------------------
"Station calling Centre, grow a head..."

LoLevel
10th Nov 2000, 04:50
The following from Hansard, I wonder how accurate this will pan out to be?

QUESTIONS ON NOTICE
Airports: Australian Advanced Air Traffic System - (Question No. 2866)
Senator O’Brien asked the Minister representing the Minister for Transport and Regional Services, upon notice, on 29 August 2000:
(1) Has the Board of Airservices Australia (ASA) decided to transfer air traffic control terminal control units (TCU)’s
in Sydney, Adelaide, Perth and Cairns to the Australian Advanced Air Traffic System (TAAATS) centres in Brisbane and Melbourne; if so:
(a) when was the decision made to transfer the TCUs to Melbourne and Brisbane; and
(b) when will the process of transferring the TCUs be completed.
Senator Ian Macdonald—The Minister for Transport and Regional Services has provided the following answer to the honourable senator’s question:
Airservices Australia has advised the following:
(1) No. The Board has authorised consultation with staff and unions to commence on such a possible transfer and a program is being established which will assess its feasibility. Civil Air, the union representing Air Traffic Controllers, has been given an initial and preliminary briefing on the program and will continue to be consulted.
(a) Not applicable
(b) Not applicable

------------------
[email protected]
"The views expressed here are a personal rant and rave and in no way reflect the views of my employer/s, not even by coincidence I should imagine "

jjj
10th Nov 2000, 09:06
Karrank
I was under the impression that Maastrict only accepted EU Citizens. Not true?

Might be time dust off those french tapes :)

[This message has been edited by jjj (edited 10 November 2000).]

TwoDogs
15th Nov 2000, 15:34
Hey Guys, lotsa rumours flying around the Fragrant Harbour about 28 Aussies being accepted for Eurocontrol. Any truth in the rumour .. any known names would be appreciated.

Lon More
16th Nov 2000, 05:44
Karrank - straight from the horse's mouth. Head of current ops. at Maastricht confirmed that there is no nationality restriction. However those doing area control with H.F. and 4 a/c per day might find it a bit difficult to get an interview.

------------------
Lon More,just an ATCO