PDA

View Full Version : Apron Control

GWYN
25th Aug 2001, 03:24
I would be grateful for any information on autonomous Apron Control services, or any contact addresses.

Thanks all in advance.

GWYN :cool:

[ 24 August 2001: Message edited by: GWYN ]

Rad1
26th Aug 2001, 04:14
What exactly do you mean by autonomous apron control?????

ATCO Two
26th Aug 2001, 13:57
Hi Rad 1,

I think GWYN means the system they have in the USA, whereby a discrete unit is responsible for pushbacks in the aprons, and traffic is presented to ATC approaching the manoeuvring area,

GWYN
27th Aug 2001, 06:38
Thanks, ATCO Two

That's exactly what I meant. Couldn't have put it better myself, except that I believe it's not completely confined to the US.

Coast
27th Aug 2001, 07:07
We have it in Canada too!!

MrWalker
27th Aug 2001, 12:43
Ansett are doing this in Sydney and have either started or are about to start in Melbourne.

missy
27th Aug 2001, 16:34
Try, [email protected] who is responsible for the roll-out of Ansett "controlling" their own aprons. In Sydney since late last year, Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane to follow.

RAGBAG
27th Aug 2001, 19:28
Dusseldorf (EDDL)have an interesting system. We (aircrew) obtain our start and ATC clearance as normal approx 10 mins before push but the pushback clearance is obtained by the tug crew on a discrete frequency (not ground). After pushback taxi clearance is as normal on ground. The system works well but apart from reducing the traffic on the ground freq I cannot see the reason for it. Anyone from DUS ATC care to comment?

Ragbag

Ahh-40612
27th Aug 2001, 22:05
Continental at Newark work very hard to present traffic on 2 taxiways to ATC to take to the holding points. Whilst riding the jumpseat on a DC10, the Captain remarked that some of the guys are superb at also getting the departure order correct. The lines of traffic at peak times can be huge.
At JFK, again on a jumpseat, leaving the International Terminal was a shambles. The Captain insisted on the tug pushing us way out to prevent anyone else getting passed us.
Once we were on the taxiway we twice had stop quickly to give way to traffic exiting other terminals apparently without clearance and joining the taxiways before checking in with ground.

Scott Voigt
28th Aug 2001, 06:35
At DFW for four of the five terminals, the airlines do thier own ramp control... What a mess <G>... They get them to spots on a WIDE apron just prior to the parallel taxiway where you wait and don't say a word. Ground will get to YOU and say something like MD80 spot 22. You then respond with AAL811 with lima. AAL811 roger, standard taxi runway 17R. We have published standard taxi routes... Works nicely...

regards

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Aug 2001, 11:20
RAGBAG Sounds as if it must drastically reduce the R/T loading on GMC, which everyone wants. Presumably the aprons there are either not cul-de-sacs or they're like many of the US cul-de-sacs, which are wide enough to take two lanes of traffic. At Heathrow just about all (if I recall correctly!) cul-de-sacs are single-lane so the problem would arise of integrating the inbounds. How would the tug operators know when a conflicting inbound was about to enter the apron?

RAGBAG
28th Aug 2001, 17:36
Heathrow Director,

The layout at DUS is much simpler than LHR (difficult not to be!) but there is still a pushback sequencing requirement on parts of it. The tug crew are obviously getting their position in the sequence from somewhere, but I don't have any details. Next time I do a DUS rotation I shall try and find out.

RAGBAG

GWYN
31st Aug 2001, 10:34
Thanks for the posts and info, folks.

GWYN