PDA

View Full Version : florida to st maartin

jetstreamjunkie
27th Oct 2004, 15:26
myself and 3 other pilots are taking 6 weeks off starting some time in may. we are going to hire a twin each with the aim of flying from florida, through the bahamas and then across to st maartin.

anyone done this trip or one similar?

if so could someone please give some advice?

ogvite
27th Oct 2004, 22:38
hi jetstream if i can be of any help give mea call i am bas at stapleford ihave flown from fl to bahamas caribean down to trinidad 9 times will be going again prob march ray reddin

stiknruda
29th Oct 2004, 14:13
JSJ,

Flew VFR from Ft Lauderdale to Turks & Caicos in a C182R.

It was pretty straight forward, there is a transire (permit/carnet)system in force in the Bahamas. On arrival, you need to find someone to stamp the permit - but this was not very onerous and it was not strictly adhered to. Gen decs and Special Decs are req'd at your first stop as is a passport.

To make life easier, purchase a copy of the Bahamas & Caribbean Pilot's Aviation Guide (my copy is 1994 (ISBN 0-938923-07-2)). This gives you ALL the info required and gives airfield info for Bahamas, Ts &Cs, Caymans, Hispaniola, PR, Virgins and Jamaica.

Have fun

Stik

jetstreamjunkie
29th Oct 2004, 15:02
thanks guys, might just give you a call ray. im actually going to start flying from stapleford in about march. hope its okay, im going to do my cpl there.

thanks again.:D

B2N2
30th Oct 2004, 12:53
" Going to hire a twin each.."

Sounds like a brilliant trip to make, but are you sure you can rent a twin in Florida for this trip?
If you're low time most schools/ FBO's will require an instructor to be on board for insurance reasons.
Insurance deductibles for the Bahama's are already way up there let alone for a trip to St Maarten, you may have to provide your own additional aircraft insurance...that is if you can even find a place that will let you go take a plane for an extended period of time.