PDA

View Full Version : Medical...?

Jas
25th Oct 2000, 00:23
Just a quick question or two...

1 - Wherever I've seen something about Class One medicals mentioned on here, they've been at Gatwick. I have mine at Heathrow next week - just wondering why not Gatwick? Any difference between the two locations or not? Just wondering...

2 - Anyone care to let me in on any shocks http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif that may await me? Apart from what I can find on here, there's not much to go on... :rolleyes:

Cheers, Jas. :)

(I didn't post this in the medical forum because I only want replies from ATC'ers - most of the stuff in the medical forum spirals off into topics about various pilot's licences etc etc!)

[This message has been edited by Jas (edited 24 October 2000).]

form49
25th Oct 2000, 02:15
Medicals used to be don by CAA medical branch down at Gatwick.
However, in April this year NATS brought in its own occupational health team which is based at Heathrow.
Hence you are being done at Heathrow.

No nasty surprises, chest x-ray, urine sample, lung capacity, eyesight, hearing, height, weight, general physical condition, ECG.
Think thats about it,
Good Luck

------------------
Turn left heading 230, close from the left, report established

NudgingSteel
25th Oct 2000, 02:22
Jas,

1. No idea. It'll be the same tests anyway so don't worry about it.

2. My biggest shock was blowing into the spyg....sprygh...ometer, heck the machine to measure lung capacity, and hearing the wheezing noise echoing round the room. Still, I passed so I must have been on less than 20 Bensons a day back then......!

PS Congrats on getting through selection, subject your medical (shouldn't be a problem) then welcome to a fantastic career!

[Career; verb, to plummet downhill out of control]

Jas
25th Oct 2000, 02:30
Thanks for those replies guys... I'd just read sooo many different things after a search on the medical forum it was unreal. Anyway that's what I wanted - nice and concise :)

Cheers again, Jas.

Jas
25th Oct 2000, 23:36
One more quickie...

Will I have to do the EEG (Brain activity thingy!) test?

Cheers (again), Jas.

form49
26th Oct 2000, 01:49
No worries there, all your brain was tested when you got through the interviews, so they know you're a well rounded individual (honest!!!!). The nearest you'll get to having your brinwaves tested is when you're at the college if you get chosen for some of the ATMDC tests. You can REFUSE to have yourself strapped up to a simulator and lasers shone into your eyes in the name f science.
Welcome to the few who are chosen for this fantastic career.

------------------
Turn left heading 230, close from the left, report established