PDA

View Full Version : Doc on 'Kursk' sub UK TV BBC2 9PM BST

swashplate
8th Aug 2001, 23:45
Hi all!

Rememeber the v long PPRuNe post from last year about this disaster.

Just wanted to let y'all know that the above doc is about to be shown.

Only just found out, so calm down at the back! :D :D

Will post after to say if doc was pukka/pants.

swashplate
9th Aug 2001, 01:05
Hmmmm......

Interesting theory..

"Russian Torpedoes use Hydrogen Peroxide (HTP) as oxidser for engines. Someone must have started engine while torpedo in tube therefor over-rev, causing HTP pipe to burst. HTP reacts with metals creating hugh amounts of Ox - torpedo bursts, causes massive fires in Torpedo bay. All Torpedoes go off, sub sinks"

But sub won't be raised so no evidence!!! :rolleyes:

Also, no evidence of premature engine start. Sure, this happened on RN sub in 1955 - but now systems to prevent this...???

Russians claimed US sub collided and showed satelite photo - but V indistinct! Certainly, a collision gets the admirals off the hook.......

5/10 - only a theory until sub is raised!!

Good computer graphics though!! :D :D :D

tva164
9th Aug 2001, 02:29
I wonder why the Russians will go enormous lengths to get the sub out of the water BUT not the front part, which is where all the action happened and as Swash noted, holds all the evidence!!

Something to do with dead bodies?

CaptSensible
9th Aug 2001, 03:22
I presume it's because the International community are applying pressure to make them raise those reactors...I think they're even paying for it.
The front end is a mangled wreck by the look of it. It has no value to the West, and the Rooskies probably can't afford to lift it just for a 'look see'.

The documentary was good though. When they proposed the US sub collision theory I just started chuckling to myself at the new threads we'd be seeing on Jetblast.
Spy Plane mark 2.