View Full Version : LATCC for a semi-experinced controller ?

aerdrome
6th Jul 2001, 16:15
I am an approach controller ( Radar + Procedural ) and an aerodrome controller at a medium / small sized airport in the E.U. ( 50,000 movements annually approx) , with about 2 1/2 years experince. I was considering a move to the UK, and was wondering what are my chances in getting a job over there. I dont know do my ratings count for much, would I still have to go through the interviews / aptitude tests? Does anyone know where I could find out about this possibility, any help would be very much appreciated.

Spoonbill
7th Jul 2001, 01:33
If you email [email protected]
he is the Head the ATS Standards Dept at the UK CAA.
I'm not sure if the Irish licences are considered the same as UK ones, as the Irish CAA virtually duplicated the UK standards system - you may be lucky.
If not, they will probably invite you to take an Assesment for prior Competence at the CAA Training College in Bournemouth, (whilst also relieving you of £500 or so for the privilage).
They'll then advise you what the next step is - anyway, best of luck.

------------------
It wasn't me.

Big Nose1
8th Jul 2001, 02:48
If you are thinking of LATCC i suggest you pay a visit and plug in for a morning shift before commiting yourself, it will be educational as to the ATC and you can also find out what sort of company you will be working for. If you like it you will probably have to go through the full college course. We are desparately short, as most places in Europe, and with your qualifications you should have no trouble getting in. Are you Cork or Shannon?

aerdrome
8th Jul 2001, 09:49
Thanks very much for your help, I'm based in Shannon, but my partner's job may be taking her to London, and I do love my job, and would like to stick with it, either here in Ireland, or in the UK. I was in Manchester tower about 4 years ago, but I must take your advice and try to arrange a visit to LATCC.

Dan Dare
9th Jul 2001, 19:44
Have you considered one of the many towers in the S.E.? NATS staffs Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton, Southampton amoung others. These may make better use of your experience, and I believe that there are some exemptions for a direct conversion like this. There is also a constant staff shortage, which should help your case.

Legs11
10th Jul 2001, 14:07
I would agree with the above, however there seems to be a problem getting into the SE airports direct. For some unknown reason NATS are only offering Aberdeen as a destination for outside joiners even though there are shortages almost everywhere.....Airline group please investigate and resolve! :confused:

aerdrome
10th Jul 2001, 17:33
Thanks guys for your continueing help. I will get in touch with the chap called John from SRD, and see how I get on.

Dan Dare - A post in any of the airports you mentioned would be extremely good, but according to the last chap that replied, it seems as though it may be very difficult to get in there.

First things first I suppose, I will check out the story with SRD and proceed from there.

Thanks Again.

Red Spitfire Driver
11th Jul 2001, 01:25
Aerodrome.
You seem to be the kind of person that we need in TC. :)
Why not come and visit us soon? I'd be happy to show you around.
Cheers

Dan Dare
11th Jul 2001, 02:50
I know people who have been employed at Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted direct from outside NATS (Luton is too recent for a track record). Airports personnel would be the people to speak to on +44 0208 7453726(but don't believe anything they tell you!). If you have anywhere particular in mind you are probably best to speak to their GM and only him. If things go well they could pull strings...

aerdrome
11th Jul 2001, 16:58
Red Spitfire Driver - Thanks for those kind words. I might actually be getting back onto you if its okay, when I can organise a trip over. Hope you dont mind.

Dan Dare - Thanks for that, I will give him a call. Just been told from another person in ATS licensing that I would have to do about 5 days of tests, "Assessment for previous competence". This woul;d then count for up to half of the student controller programme, and then I would have to just do the first half of the course, I presume about 6-8 months as it is here in Ireland. Does this sound about right to you ? I presume that these months would be the written exams if I'm not wrong, which I could be. Thanks again Guys and Girls.