PDA

View Full Version : Rental in Oxfordshire

BongleBear
25th Oct 2004, 09:16
Does anybody know any good places in Oxfordshire to rent a PA28? I'm just after some recreational flying, any ideas what would be required of me to fly as PIC? I've been told a simple 1 hour flight with someone to show that I can fly will be required. I have a frozen ATPL.

Cheers, B. Bear

witchdoctor
25th Oct 2004, 10:37
Erm, dare I suggest the same requirements that your FTO would have required prior to letting you disappear on solo cross-country sorties? I would expect a bit of general handling, simulated emergency and perhaps a smattering of different circuits.

Can't help with cheap hire as I am only familiar with the most expensive place to fly in the UK. :sad:

Genghis the Engineer
25th Oct 2004, 12:15
I've no contacts there, but would suggest visiting Enstone which has a reputation for being fairly cheap and friendly. Whether they've got any PA28s specifically, I've no idea - but I'm sure they'll have something.

G

Mark 1
25th Oct 2004, 14:50
There are a few PA28s of various marks, plus a DR400 and a few TB9s etc for hire at Enstone.

It may be worth tracking down Ian Hiatt (07961 451565 ?) or via Oxfordshire Sport Flying, as I believe he has recently acquired a PA28.

oxford blue
25th Oct 2004, 18:29
You don't say which part of Oxfordshire - it's quite a big county! However, if you live anywhere near Carterton, how about the RAF Brize Norton Flying Club? You don't have to be in the RAF to join - they welcome civilian members - and it's really quite cheap.

Pronto
26th Oct 2004, 12:33
Enstone Flying Club has one PA28-151 which costs about £110 an hour. They're on 01608 678204. Website is at http://www.enstone-flyingclub.co.uk.

Enstone airfield is just off the A44, about 18 miles north of Oxford.

The DR400 is long gone from Enstone, as is the "other" PA28 (there used to be two). The rest of the EFC fleet is on their website but is one TB9, a TB10, a TB200 and a TB21 as well as a Katana and a Diamond Star.

Generally they'll require a handling check. Call the CFI - Richard Pitts - for the full rundown on what he'll want.

(By the way, if you're on a US licence you'll probably find them very friendly. EFC is linked with Angel City Flyers, an FAA training set-up, so they know all about US licences).

Snakecharmer
26th Oct 2004, 17:30
Could have sworn that Oxfordshire Sportflying at Enstone had a nice looking DR400 for hire from Enstone last time i visited (recently). Friendly bunch too.

Pronto
27th Oct 2004, 10:53
Snakecharmer,

You're right! OSF was always a motor glider outfit but their webpage (http://www.enstoneaerodrome.co.uk/oscint.html) is advertising a DR400-180.

Contact details for OSF are on their webpage.

BongleBear
31st Oct 2004, 09:46
cheers guys, phoned (a very helpfull) enstone and they have one PA28, for £105 an hour. Thanks again.