PDA

View Full Version : Apron congestion

Established !
24th Aug 2001, 17:15
Wouldn't starting one or two prio to push reduce congestion at the biggie airports? Comments? ATCOs.

Ausatco
24th Aug 2001, 19:53
Depends on the tugs/tractors or whatever you call them at your location.

Many pushbacks require a tow forward to a disconnect point. Many tugs cannot control a tow forward with even idle thrust on some aircraft types - they can push back against it, but they can't tow forward with it without excessive risk of over-run.

AA

chiglet
24th Aug 2001, 22:17
At EGCC/MAN start is ALWAYS given prior to push. That the "tug release point" on certain stands precudes multi/synchro push backs is besides the point :D
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Bagheera
25th Aug 2001, 05:50
At EGPH the apron road runs behind the aircraft, therefore all vehicles come to a stop when they see the anti-collisions from an aircraft starting. This can then block the pushback of the aircraft that prevented your push in the first place!

Rad1
26th Aug 2001, 04:09
There are all manner of reasons that start can't be given on some stands. In one case that i recall, the airport authority introduced a rule that aircraft had to be taken off stand and tugged to the end of the pier before starting because (when the wind was blowing in certain directions) exhaust fumes sometimes got into offices. Rumour had it that if the windows were closed as they were supposed to be in order for the air conditioning to work, that there was no problem but people in the offices often opened the windows for some reason. The result - tremendous inconvenience for crews, groundstaff and ATC and a distinct reduction in efficiency!

Scott Voigt
27th Aug 2001, 08:34
That wouldn't go over well here <G>. At DFW they do a LOT of powered push backs so that they don't have to have so many tugs...

regards

Mark_WI
27th Aug 2001, 17:57
To all Air Traffic Controllers;

I have really enjoyed your feedback and replly to console issues and as well, the related electronics issues which are of high concern for you.

Let me ask you this, if you could have a console constructed so that the core material and laminate would be static dissipative, would you want it in your facility?

I am currently dealing with not only NATCA, but also the top management itself in the FAA, and am currently working with them with this innovative technology.

In essence, the technology would make the console become the first line defense against static electricity problems and it can even help prevent RFI!

Want your input! No matter what country you are from, region you work in or position you work at, Ask as many questions as you'd like to.

eyeinthesky
28th Aug 2001, 10:58
er... wrong thread, I think!