PDA

View Full Version : Airworthiness Directives ????

tomgil
24th Oct 2004, 17:27
Regulations require that PIC can show that aircraft is meeting all airworthiness directives. When I open the logs I see the AD's but how do I make sure that all of them are there? It's the responsibility of the owner operator to comply with AD's and if he chose not to comply with some of them how can I determin that ?
Thank you in advance !:ok:

Tom

Genghis the Engineer
24th Oct 2004, 19:25
You ask him,

G

Mike Cross
24th Oct 2004, 21:40
Or if you are really interested you look at CAP 473, 474, 476 and 455 available here (http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/publications.asp?cattype=subcat&id=5)

Genghis the Engineer
24th Oct 2004, 21:43
Mike, the chap's profile says he's in Chicago - those are unlikely to be all that relevant.

G

tomgil
25th Oct 2004, 02:47
That's right I'm in Chicago and need some US relevent info.
But thanks anyway !!!
Darius:ok:

Mike Cross
25th Oct 2004, 09:37
Apologies, must try harder!

Try this link (http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet) instead.;)

tomgil
25th Oct 2004, 13:56
Michael !

Thank you very much for a great link to AD's.
You did a great job and I really appreciate it.
If I may ask you or anyone else for that matter to tell me

" How can I determine without going to the internet that all AD's
were complied with just by looking into aircraft records? "

My worry is that when I go for a check ride with the examiner he might ask me to show him that I understand AD's and can determine whether plane is airworthy for flight.

Please help !!!
:{

Mike Cross
25th Oct 2004, 14:47
Answer - you can't.

Any more than you can verify that an Airman's Certificate is valid by looking at it.

To give you an example:-

I might commit some heinous offence or become medically unfit and my license gets cancelled. I don't surrender the license.
I turn up at an FBO to rent a plane and show my license. It's been cancelled, but you can't tell that by looking at it.

Which is one of the reasons why the FAA have for some time required confirmation of the validity of a foreign license by the issuing authority before issuing an FAA certificate on the basis of it.

I think you need to ask this question of your instructor. In the UK the procedure would be to check that there is a valid Certificate of Release to Service and C of A in force and also check the defect log. He will no doubt be able to tell you what the process in the US.

None of which means the aircraft is airworthy. An AD requiring compliance before the next flight might have been issued since the a/c was last signed off by an engineer, Spiders might have taken up residence in the pitot/static system since the last flight or some defect appeared that is not recorded which you will I hope pick up during your pre-flight inspection.