PDA

View Full Version : Thames Radar + LCY

flexmode
15th Jul 2000, 22:36
Just a question for controllers at Thames Radar. In the ATIS from London City it says that you have to report your type of aircraft on initial contact with Thamer Radar. I fly into LCY about 30 times a month and that already for almost 4 years on the same type for the same company. I think the controllers do know by now what type we fly as soon as we mention our callsign. Please tell me if you want to hear the type on initial contact or not? If so; i am happy to do so.

Billy Doyle
17th Jul 2000, 00:44
I don't work at Thames but my advice would be not to give your aircraft type on first contact and see how often the controller considers it necessary to ask for the information. The type is always printed on the flight progress strip so unless your FPL has been filed incorrectly they should have the information anyway. However if by some chance the type is incorrect you may find yourself flying closer to the heavier aircraft in front and upsetting the Gin and Tonic swigging punters in the back. As always it's your choice.

ATCO Two
17th Jul 2000, 01:07
Hi flexmode,

As a Thames Radar controller, it is rare for a pilot to pass his aircraft type on first contact. As you say, there are only a limited number of companies/types operating into EGLC and we are familiar with those. However, if for any reason a company is operating a type which is different from the norm, then it is important to tell us for vortex wake category reasons.
I would emphasise that it is important to state aircraft type when operating into other LTMA airports, as anomalies often occur, causing problems in sequencing, final approach spacing and conditional clearances used by aerodrome controllers.

flexmode
18th Jul 2000, 14:01
Thanks for the explanation!