View Full Version : ATCO VALIDATION-A GOOD EFFORT

autothrottle
14th Jul 2000, 23:11
One of the most comforting sounds there is is the sound of an ATCO at LATCC,Heathrow etc etc.Not only,in my opinion,are they the best in the business but they often have to handle annual increases in traffic of 5-8% using relatively out of date equipment.My admiration is unbounded.
The reason i have posted this is that a fellow pruner validated at Heathrow this week.Not only must he be extremely proud of his achievement,after months of very hard work,but so must ALL new ATCOs who manage to validate,wherever they may be,when air traffic is booming.Well done to you all,and you GONZO!

Cheers,

AUTOTHROTTLE

PPRuNe Radar
15th Jul 2000, 03:25
Nice one GONZO,

However it is tradition to buy a validation drink for everyone isn't it ? So why did autothrottle miss out the details of the pub ? :)

------------------
PPRuNe Radar
ATC Forum Moderator
[email protected]

need to know
15th Jul 2000, 03:31
If LATCC traffic is increasing by the stated percentage, the traffic must come and go to and from somewhere.I am not questioning the high standard of LATCC but the standard of the centres around them must be high also. It is easy to compliment the boys and girls of LATCC, but don't forget all the boys and girls in the adjacent centres.

------------------
And that's what I think about that.

[This message has been edited by need to know (edited 14 July 2000).]

autothrottle
15th Jul 2000, 17:19
True need to know,but etc etc meant all those deserving soles at SCATCC,GATWICK,STANTED,CITY,FARN,BRUM,MANCH AND MANCH CENTRE,SCOATCC,EDI,GLA,ABZ,CARDIFF,AND anywhere else i have forgotten,my apologies to you all,keep up the good work!

cheers
AUTOTHROTTLE

Gonzo
15th Jul 2000, 20:32
Ta Autothrottle,

We'll talk again next cycle no doubt!

Mr. PPRuNe Radar, sir (much grovelling and bowing and scraping<g> ), unfortunately (for my wallet, and only on the T+D scale as well!) said pub gathering had already taken place!

Gonzo,
One happy and relieved muppet.

NudgingSteel
16th Jul 2000, 01:40
Autothrottle,

Working at one of the units you mentioned I thank you for your vote of confidence. I can confirm the sense of achievement following validation is at least equal to that after your first ever solo flight (my first solo was superb value - one takeoff but three or four landings!).
However, it's not all great - the next day (off) usually sees severe headaches and vomiting and a sudden aversion to neat spirits......
P.S. Congrats Gonzo!

[This message has been edited by NudgingSteel (edited 15 July 2000).]

Gonzo
16th Jul 2000, 11:28
NudgingSteel,

Fortunately (unfortunately?<g> ), I don't (yet?) drink! Have been told that that will soon change, though! However, the morning after I was feeling even better than the night before.

Oh no, have I just ruined the stereotypical image for all the flight crew of hard drinking, chain smoking ATCOs?<g>

Gonzo

Dan Dare
17th Jul 2000, 13:33
This Gonzo is an imposter! The LHR valid Gonzo must be lying in a gutter somewhere unable to speak for himself. I mean....
ATCO who doesn't drink? Next they'll tell me there are tea total pilots.

halo
18th Jul 2000, 14:48
I know Gonzo and he doesn't indeed drink. AND he doesn't fit into the stereotype mould for an ATCO. I'm sure I don't!!!

cleared2land 27left
18th Jul 2000, 17:35
You dont either Halo!

redsnail
19th Jul 2000, 02:47
Hye, I guess Gonzo is the dedicated driver!
Now, you just got to be happy about that!
The only hassle is, Gonzo will be the one telling every one at work exactly what you said and did at the restaurant/pub/train station..... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

------------------
reddo
A Feral Animal.

UK DAN
19th Jul 2000, 21:01
Well done - no good inviting you on the next Magalluf trip then! Mind you your share of the kitty could really come in handy.

Gonzo
19th Jul 2000, 21:54
LOL!

I get back from my 4 days off and I find this!

HALO: Not sure if that is god or not? and I agree with CTL27L, neither are you<g>. And now I'm worried about how much you really do know about me! Same car, you even changed your appearance to become more like me.....waaaaaaaa, I've got a stalker!!!!

Redsnail,

<<The only hassle is, Gonzo will be the one telling every one at work exactly what you said and did at the restaurant/pub/train station.....
>>

Ummmm, what do you mean "will" be the one??? Give me some credit, I've been around for a year at least....<g>

UKDAN: Okay okay, your eyes lit up for a moment then!

Gonzo
A muppet with burning ears.

U R NumberOne
20th Jul 2000, 01:44
As its been a few days since the start of this thread, just wondering if you've scared yourself yet Gonzo? Took me about 6 hours, and I've been doing it for years since! Sat down the day after my board for the first time on Tower on my own and within two minutes had an AGI on when a helicopter emitted a massive plume of smoke on start up - ah those were the days!

Well done :)

Grandad Flyer
20th Jul 2000, 02:04
I just wanted to say a big thank you to the controllers of the LGW sector who did some brilliant bit of controlling on the 15th July. I am often at STN and we get used to the usual non-continuity, ie. high speed asked for by London so we bomb over LHR at 320 knots, mega high, only for Essex to say, "number 1, speed 180, descend (1000')". Then we end up going on a 3 county tour as we can't get the height off and lose the speed. Sorry, but it seems to happen about 90% of the time.
I don't like to have a go at Essex but sometimes we really do wonder about the instructions we are given.
At LGW it was absolutely perfect for us, continuous descents, high speed, excellent vectors, worked really well. So ta.

halo
20th Jul 2000, 03:49
I frequently scare myself. U should try it. Its an enlightening experience *laughs*. Its also nice when U scare somebody else as well. After all, its a team effort, so why shouldn't it be a team scare as well

Congrats on the validation tho' Gonzo (am not sure about the stalking thing though)

Oh, and U R right.... I don't fit the usual mould!! *laughs*. Wonder why??

cleared2land 27left
20th Jul 2000, 15:24
Where shall we start when making points on why not to be part of the usual mould???

Is scaring people that much fun? Not too sure if i should try it at the moment though

Gonzo
20th Jul 2000, 22:08
U R NumberOne,

Haven't really scared myself yet, but certainly this morning my pulse rate went up a bit! A Virgin Express 737 was just vacating and mentioned to me that he had hit a bird on touchdown. Oh dear! The BA 747 behind him I sent around, the Air Portugal behind him was at 5 miles, so I switched him onto 27L, but the LOT 737 that was lined up for departure didn't roll in time, so Departures stopped him and the Air Portugal went around. A/c flying everywhere. The residents of Hounslow probably thought Farnborough had started early!