PDA

View Full Version : Visiting England

On Track
22nd Oct 2004, 20:18
Hello up there,

I'll be making a short visit to London in early December. and while I'm there I'd like to call in at a local flying club and see what the scene is like there.

Even better - and I know this is a lot to ask for - I'd love to go on a scenic flight with one of you in order to see your country in a way that I've never seen it before. I know flying is even more expensive in Britain that is here in the Antipodes, and I'm willing to contribute.

Anyone able to help?

maggioneato
23rd Oct 2004, 11:56
On Track, if you find yourself further up north, (I Fly from Shropshire) you are welcome to fly with me. Your biggest problem here is trying to find a nice day that you can actually see the countryside. We have had one of the worst summers on record, it hasn't stopped raining all this week, everywhere is sodden. Hope someone can offer you a flight nearer to London. Bring some nice weather with you Please. :(

cblinton@blueyonder.
23rd Oct 2004, 13:00
as maggioneato said "Bring some nice weather with you"
I am about 100 miles from London and would be happy to take you flying. PM me nearer to your arrival time.:ok:

Keef
23rd Oct 2004, 21:57
Whereabouts in the UK will you be? I'm sure we could arrange to terrify you from most corners of the island...

On Track
24th Oct 2004, 20:00
Thanks for the replies.

I expect to be in London and the South-East for most of the duration.

We're also planning to make a quick trip to Paris at some point.

DubTrub
24th Oct 2004, 22:48
Despite all the Eurocracy going around, On Track, Paris is still in another country (nice though it is):p

When you say "south east", that covers a lot of ground. I am 100 miles north of London, and you should be welcome for a bimble around the patch here.

DT

Kolibear
25th Oct 2004, 11:20
On Track, hi,

The south east covers quite a large (in our terms ) area. I would consider that Redhill, Biggin, Rochester, Headcorn, Lydd, Stapleford, North Weald, Andrewsfield, Earls Colne, Clacton and Southend would all be 'south east' but other prooners would stretch the boundaries even further.

Suggest you post a few more details of your location because I'm confident you'll find someone local to you who will be more than happy to fly you, myself included.

Another_CFI
25th Oct 2004, 13:12
I would include Blackbushe, Fairoaks, White Waltham, Booker, Elstree, Denham in the South East. As Kolibear says if you say whereabouts you are staying it would help to narrow down the list.

Andy_R
25th Oct 2004, 18:58
And if you will fit into a Cessna 152 I would be happy to take you on a bimble around the south of England.

On Track
25th Oct 2004, 19:56
Thanks again for the replies.

Initially I will probably be based in the Paddington/Bayswater area of London, but if there is time I'm also hoping to check out a few places in Suffolk, Surrey and Warwickshire where some of my ancestors came from.

Yes, I guess that is a fair slab of the countryside, but remember, I come from a country where we are used to great distances (but cheaper petrol).

To those who've made offers - expect some PMs shortly so we can work out what might be mutually convenient. Thanks, all.

pbloore
26th Oct 2004, 11:45
If you make it to Warwickshire then drop me a line.

Kolibear
26th Oct 2004, 14:50
Paddington/Bayswater would probably mean its easier to get out towards the west of London, White Waltham, Booker, Denham and maybe Elstree. Thats not a part of the world I know well I'm afraid.

If its raining, then I suggest a trip to RAF Museum at Hendon in north London, or further afield to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford which is near Cambridge.

But keep us posted & I'm sure someone will oblige.

On Track
17th Dec 2004, 04:58
Back to the top, just to say thanks again to all of you who replied.

In the end, I accepted cloud69's offer of a flight from Shoreham to Sandown in his 152.

Visibility was not the best, but the conditions were calm, and the flight was pretty smooth.

I'm also pleased to say that most of my photos turned out quite well.

If any of you British pilots are heading this way for some sunshine, then feel free to get in touch.

slim_slag
17th Dec 2004, 08:35
If any of you British pilots are heading this way for some sunshine, then feel free to get in touch.

This really is an offer that should not be refused if anybody is in the Sydney area, flying over the bridge and getting to circle over the harbour is a "must do" for anybody who visits that city. It ranks up there with flying around the San Francisco bay and Golden Gate Bridge (also easy to do). So On Track should be ready for a flood of calls :)

Andy_R
17th Dec 2004, 20:45
On Track it was a pleasure, particularly the looooong diversion on the way back.