PDA

View Full Version : UK ATCO qualification internationally recognised ?

rob99
8th Jul 2000, 20:20
Hello,

Thinking of applying as an ATCO.

Would I have to stay in England to do my job or after a few years could I do the same job overseas ?

(If I choose I.T as a career then I know that I could take that overseas if I so desired.)

Thankyou,

Rob99.

PS I know the length of training involved so would obviously work here in the UK long enough to pay off the company so to speak !

Bright-Ling
8th Jul 2000, 22:06
It's KINDA recognised in the world. Better to describe it as 'Well thought of' really.

Trouble is, USA is as hard as ever to work in. NAVCANADA might take you, but you need to have the legal right to work there first before they will talk to you.

Not only that, the pay in the UK is fairly buoyant at the moment.

Why choose IT and sit looking at computer screens all day when you can become an air traffic controller......and look at radar screens all day!!

Go for the ATCO......you won't have to do 8-7pm Mon-Fri....hours are regulated by SCRATCOH (Scheme for the Regulation of ATCO's Hours).

"Hey diddly-dee, an ATCO's life for me..!"

U R NumberOne
8th Jul 2000, 22:12
The options are fairly limited at the moment, but with the current and forecast shortage of ATCOs worldwide, things can only get better.

I've known ATCOs go to Hong Kong, a few of the Gulf states and Nigeria. Then there's Eurocontrol if you want something a bit closer to the UK.

I know a couple of lads who used to work in I.T. and are now ATCOs - they made the move - so can you ;)

fart
11th Jul 2000, 18:51
Hi there
Yeah I believe your UK ATCO's licence is as good as gold anywhere else, apart from the US and Canada. However, there are lots of other countries where you can practice your skills. The biggest private ATC company in the world today is SERCO_IAL and they always look for controllers, especially out here in the GULF States. In Dubai (UNITED ARAB EMIRATES) where I am employed at the moment, we have 13 different nationalities working together, including Brits, American, Canadian, South African, KIWI etc. Brits are always welcome whereever they go and have far less restrictions than most other nationalities when it comes to travelling or working abroad. I am from South Africa and has been very lucky so far to have worked in 4 different countries, but it only became possible when politics in SA changed. If you want to work overseas, just pick up the Flight International mag and soon you will be landing a job with that UK licence.
Good luck
Cheers