PDA

View Full Version : Rocket men face jail for Bonfire Night aircraft threat

LTNman
21st Oct 2004, 19:54
FIREWORK display organisers face fines and possible prison sentences for failing to notify air safety regulators of their events.
The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has imposed tough new controls before Bonfire Night after a spate of incidents in which airliners have been struck by fireworks.

On November 1 last year, an Airbus A321 was hit by a firework as it passed at 560ft over Hounslow in West London on final approach to Heathrow.

The crew heard a thud and saw a flash against the right-hand side of the aircraft.

On November 5, an Airbus A320 approaching Manchester was struck at 250ft. The pilots reported seeing several fireworks burst around the aircraft.

The CAA is concerned that the growth in sales of powerful rockets could cause an aircraft to crash, either because a firework struck an engine or because a pilot became distracted as he prepared to land.

Under the restrictions, anyone igniting rockets designed to rise above 250ft, or organising a display lasting more than 30 minutes, must contact the CAA in advance and give details of the event, including the precise location, duration and types of fireworks to be used.

The punishment for failing to observe the restrictions is up to five years’ imprisonment and an unlimited fine. However, a spokesman for the CAA said that a prosecution was likely only when a pilot reported a strike or a near-miss.

There have been 34 such reports since 1983, including four in the past four years in which an aircraft was struck by a firework. The CAA has already received 800 applications for events next month and has notified airlines of 194 displays that could potentially cause problems for low-flying aircraft. The spokesman said that the CAA was unlikely to ban an event, but could ask for the times to be shifted or less powerful fireworks to be used.

“The primary concern is with events near airports, but the safety rules apply to major displays anywhere in the country,” he said. An upper limit of 1,500 metres applies to all firework displays. The restrictions also apply to laser and light shows because of the danger of pilots beig dazzled.

In 1995, an airline pilot in the United States was temporarily blinded shortly after take-off by a laser display. He was unable to see for 30 seconds and for another two minutes was unable to read any of his flight instruments.

The incident is quoted in the CAA’s guidance to display organisers: “Such an event has obvious safety implications in imperilling the lives of aircrew, passengers and those living in the vicinity of aerodromes.”

The CAA is also concerned that pilots could be confused by light displays when they are looking for an airport’s runway lights. David Learmount, safety editor of Flight International magazine, said: “The worry is mainly about the distraction and shock of fireworks exploding near an aircraft. But a firework could also cause damage if it exploded in an engine or beside hinges on controls.”

Under the Fireworks Act 2003, fireworks cannot be let off between 11pm and 7am.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1320308,00.html

BRISTOLRE
22nd Oct 2004, 10:10
Interesting subject, topical now Fireworks are again on sale in many UK High Street shops. 5th November draws closer and already people are letting them off at night.

Hounslows' Lampton Park firework display is probably the most relevant in this, usually Sat 6th November - they have a mass fireworks & bonfire show right on finals for LHR 27R.
Remember watching the show (+arrivals) a few years ago during the show, fireworks appeared VERY VERY close to BA 767s and A320s on finals for 27 right.

Diwali festivites at a similar time around the Hounslow & Southall & Slough areas aslo see lots of high performance light shows & firecrackers going off around LHR.

itchy kitchin
22nd Oct 2004, 10:24
I live in Hounslow and I can tell you, that starting at about this time of year, there are several festivals involving fireworks that the different ethnic communities participate in (Diwali, Guy Fawkes...etc). When it all goes off, it is actuall rather spectacular to watch. Looking out over the feilds behind Osterley Park towards Southall, the sky is continually lit up.
Now, as we all know, there is always one or two bad apples in the barrel. A couple of years ago, the Hounslow Informer's front page depicted a 747 approaching LHR with the headline "THIS IS NOT A TARGET FOR FIREWORKS". It is not a new problem. The pesky kids in Hounslow West and Feltham seem to be the worst- the planes are lower there. We need stiffer penalties for misuse of the fireworks, and tighter control on their sales.

If i caught them kids at it I would....

....with a chainsaw

broadreach
22nd Oct 2004, 10:25
"The crew heard a thud..."

No indication in that newspaper report of the size of the fireworks, but some of the more elaborate ones used in the Rio New Year's Eve displays are mammoth, about the size of a basketball and with a propulsion unit consisting of a 5-6" diameter tube. You wouldn't want to be anywhere near one of those on its way up.

topcat450
22nd Oct 2004, 10:41
Do the fireworks come with these notices?

I'm just curious as the layman buying fireworks from Sainsburys (or one of the short-lived firework shops) is unlikely to be aware that he would have to inform the CAA, nor is he likely to know exactly how high the 'super-charger-whizz-bang' rocket he just bought is likely to go. Or in reality does the 250ft limit basically mean the big professional shows?

unowho
22nd Oct 2004, 11:59
Here in Valencia Spain the big night is 19 march.(makes 5 Nov look like a kiddies party) When there are over 700 displays around the city. The main display by the city can use upto 150 kg of gunpowder. 5 inch mortars are used to put up the bigger ones, which depending on type (noise or light) can take care of your cat 1 medical for good.

After China, Valencia is the biggest user of gunpowder in the world. Any excuse for a party.

bob-morris
22nd Oct 2004, 13:26
After China, Valencia is the biggest user of gunpowder in the world. Any excuse for a party.

I thought that Moss-side in Manchester would claim that "honour".

Iron City
22nd Oct 2004, 16:23
In the U.S. the big night is July 4th ( guess you could call it an ethnic festival )

Fireworks are regulated by the fire marshall in indvidual municipalities, by state law and federal regulation. The only people in my area (near IAD) that can shoot off anything like what you are talking about that have a prayer of reachingan aicraft on approach or harming one physically (nothing about the flash bang scareing the living bejesus out of the crew) are licensed professionals. Sales locally are tightly controlled and the only people who can make much noise are the ones who went early on to West Virginia or Ohio and got the really good stuff. So even though the fun police have this all tightly controlled I, as an adult unconvicted of anything criminal, can go buy a gun (so long as it is not automatic) and openly carry it wherever I desire except some court houses, schools, actually inside the IAD terminal (but it is okay in the parking lot!)

Is this a great country (but slightly screwed up) or what.

Maverick Laddie
22nd Oct 2004, 19:52
Fire works being shot at aeroplanes nothing new can any of the old flyer's remember some german guy who used to use his wife's dumplins and a home made catapult to shoot at low flying starfighter's. either a story run on tomorrows world or blue peter in the early 70's !! Wonder if he had to call the CAA when ever she went into the kitchen.

jayteeto
23rd Oct 2004, 06:52
This is normal practise for those of us in the Police Aviation Fraternity. At this time of year, a mission into liverpool is like dodging flak in the second world war!! Luckily 500' just about keeps you safe, but it is amazing to watch a display from the inside!!

SLFguy
23rd Oct 2004, 11:08
I wonder how concerned the bobbies are at the masking effect all the whizz/bangs will have if a terrorist was to have a pop at an a/c during these displays?

RUDAS
23rd Oct 2004, 13:12
i recall seeing a singapore 747-400 nearly being hit by a firework approximately 200m from the threshold of 27R at EGLL a few years back.It was chilling,as it was probably set off by moronic delinquents who would just run away if they hit the plane,never to be caught. little bas:mad: rds

Spitoon
23rd Oct 2004, 13:22
Here in the UK the CAA have a CAP on the subject.

CAP 736 (http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/publicationdetails.asp?id=1108)

I'm not sure how much comfort it is - it's not like you get one free with every box of fireworks.

jayteeto
23rd Oct 2004, 14:02
We are not too worried about the hidden attack. To be honest, why waste a good gun or missile on an EC135 with bunches of airliners down the road? In my experiences a few years ago, we were machine gunned one night (they missed) and didn't even know until the next morning!! Fireworks are bad, but as mentioned in another thread, lasers and big torches are worse.....