PDA

View Full Version : Flying N reg in the UK, FAA Legal?

Cessna 210 Heavy
21st Oct 2004, 11:19
Hello all, it’s my first post so please be gentle!

I am a JAA PPL based in the UK. I have approx 100hrs on various types including 15 or in a C210M and the same amount in a Extra 300L.

Flying the C210 is great, its fast smooth well equipped, and was my first step into real flying, VP Prop and RG. The only downer is that it works out expensive hiring the Aircraft from a club.

I have a friend who has another C210M, really nice, all leather, Garmin 530, storm scope and de-ice. He has asked if I want to fly it as its just sitting on the middle of an airfield in the UK, not flying a lot. It is on the N reg. and I have a 61.75. All he asks is that I pay for the costs of the flight. He doesn’t want to make any money, in fact he will run the Aircraft at a small loss to ensure that he doesn’t make any cash from the agreement. I pay for Fuel, Landing and a small contribution to the annual cost of maintenance and insurance.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this? Do you think it ‘could’ be deemed illegal? I don’t want to do anything that could get me or anyone else in trouble.

Thanks a lot,

Shanwick Shanwick
21st Oct 2004, 19:43
You can fly an N-reg aircraft within UK airspace with UK licence leagally but can't operate it outside the UK unless you hold an FAA radio Licence (License in the US).

By the way, can I fly it too? ATPL US/UK etc etc

Cessna 210 Heavy
21st Oct 2004, 19:47
A US Radio Licence? eeerrrrr????

Shanwick Shanwick
21st Oct 2004, 19:58
Send a copy of your UK Radio licence to an FAA office and you'll get a US license in return!

Cessna 210 Heavy
21st Oct 2004, 20:33
I am not aware of a US radio Licence?

Chilli Monster
22nd Oct 2004, 13:17
There is no 'radio licence' for the FAA. As it's all covered in the instruction and examining for the licence they see no point, unlike the FRTOL that the CAA issue.

And can I fly it please :) (FAA CPL/IR)

Cessna 210 Heavy
22nd Oct 2004, 13:20
Thats what I thought!!!!

Well maybe organise a pprune fly a C210 day!

Flyin'Dutch'
22nd Oct 2004, 13:33
The only radio license bit I am aware off for N reg aeroplanes is the one that belongs to the airplane.

On a different note you will have to be signed off for high-performance airplanes and any other 'differences' which a vanilla PPL does not have in order to be legal.

FD
FAA CPL ME/IR

Engine overtemp
22nd Oct 2004, 19:48
What is the purpose of the form FCC 605 (http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605main.pdf) which I have with my licence? Looks very much like an RT licence to me!

Shanwick Shanwick
22nd Oct 2004, 20:51
Mine also looks very like a Radio License! It's neither issued or required to operate an N-reg a/c in the good old US of A but is REQUIRED to operate outside. I also have one, it's brown!

Speedbird48
23rd Oct 2004, 12:16
Both Shanwick and Engine Overtemp are correct. It is a requirement to have a FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit ((FCC753L) when operating a US registered airplane anywhere outside of the US.
The airplane must also have a radio station license.
They are both obtainable from the FCC, NOT the FAA. The FCC is in Gettysburg, PA and they have a website.
No charge for the Operator Permit but a charge for the Station License. (around $135?? I believe??)
The pilot, if flying with a US certificate, or validation, is required to have proof of a Bienniel Flight Review within the past 2 years. The flight review is done with an FAA certified CFII.

A good day is always compulsory!!

'I' in the sky
25th Oct 2004, 15:17
When I originally obtained my FAA PPL in the states I was advised to get the FCC605 so that when I returned to the UK, aswell as converting my FAA PPL to a CAA one, I could also obtain the RT licence.

I don't remember anything about needing it to fly an N-reg outside the US. Is there any reference in CFR14 to this ?

tunalic2
26th Oct 2004, 11:27
I,ve never heard of that before either so would be interested to know more

T2

Cessna 210 Heavy
26th Oct 2004, 13:45
Spoke to my Instructor.

He checked the FAR's and you DO NOT need it if you have a CAA or a JAA PPL.

'I' in the sky
26th Oct 2004, 15:29
Cessna 210,

I know tha but Shanwick and Speedbird seem to be suggesting that if for example you were flying an N-reg aircraft with an FAA ppl, and you flew it outside US airspace then you would need this certificate. This is certainly news to me so I just where there was a definitive reference to it. I can see me having a delve through my FAR AIM tonight.

Speedbird, the biennial flight review can be conducted by a CFI, doesn't have to be a CFII. Only the instrument proficency check, if applicable needs to be conducted by a double I.