PDA

View Full Version : C152 operating cost advise

long final
21st Oct 2004, 10:19
I have had a search but can't find any definitive breakdown of costs for running an aircraft such as a 152. A friend and I are looking to start a group, but apart from the fuel, new engine and hangerage we have no idea of how much Annuals, STAR Annuals, props, 50/150 hour checks, insurance etc cost, as in a ball park, nothing seriously goes bang, kind of a way. Can anyone offer some help?

Also, having searched the private forum, could someone simply explain the advantage of private over public C of A issue. We have no need for the public, but can't cost the difference.

Thanks for any help.

LF

ps - looking for a 152 type, so if anyone is selling, feel free to message me.

LowNSlow
21st Oct 2004, 22:06
My first aeroplane was an A150K Aerobat (this was in 1992). First Annual £2,000 putting stuff right that I wanted right, could have been cheaper. First C of A (Star Annual) £1,500. 50 hour checks were around £100-£150. 100 hour checks were around the £300 mark. This was when she was on a Public Transport C of A. After that it was around £4,500 for a strip & respray and £2,000 for new radios etc. Got a reasonable amount from the insurers when she was wrecked in a storm :{ :{

On a Private C of A you can do the 50 hour checks yourself as owner and have them signed off by a licensed engineer. On a Public C of A you have the requirement to do the 50 hour checks at, doh, 50 hours, or 62 days, whichever is earlier, and they have to be done by a licensed engineer. Somebody correct me please if I'm wrong.

A and C
21st Oct 2004, 22:45
You got most of it correct 62 day checks went in 1999 to be replaced by a 50hour/6 month check.
The distinction between public transport and private C of A is becoming hard to find with the new EASA regulations but it is the operators responsability to make sure that the maintenance is carried out in the proper way for the type of flying the aircraft is doing (I can see that as the root of a lot of problems and disputes !!).

I run a number of C152's and the things have not made a penny yet due to the lack of money that the former owners spent in the years up to the sale to me.
I doubt if you will find a 152 that is not in this situation because people who have the aircraft sorted won't sell them as they put so much work in to get them to a state in which the aircraft would make money without lots of unscedualed maintenance they have to get a return on there investment.

I now just about have one of my aircraft "sorted" and would not let it go for under £45,000 because I know that it is now in a position to give years of (almost) trouble free service.

The running cost is so linked to the state of the aircraft that any number that I quote is likely to be a half @ssed guess but a factory exchange engine will cost you about £12,000 plus fitting and a re-paint about £5500 (both inc VAT) the prices for maintenance quoted above by L n S are a little out of date so I would add about 20% to them.

Engine life is 2400 hours +20% on condition extention and a paint job will last about 12 years if the aircraft is not in a hangar.

If you are thinking of buying a C152 get an engineer who works the type to look at it for you he will save you a lot of time,money and trouble.

long final
22nd Oct 2004, 07:02
Thanks for the replys.

Anyone know how much a new prop will cost us, and what life a prop has.

Thanks

LF

100LL
23rd Oct 2004, 19:46
just priced a factory remanufactured 0-235 up and you are looking in the region of £14000 + £5000 deposit on the core.

As A + C says, these new EASA rules are going to cause some greif and expense so caveat emptor as A + C says

A and C
24th Oct 2004, 16:01
Props are a bit of a problem with the 152 the standard factory fit was a Mc'Cauley that has a repedditve AD to check the hub for cracks.
This requires the hub to be paint stripped and is time consuming I seem to rember that it is due at 300 hour intervals but you need to check that.

There is an STC to fit a Sensenich prop and this has no AD problems so that is the way I will go if one of my props fails the crack check.

smarthawke
24th Oct 2004, 16:54
The McCauley prop AD is only due on certain serial number props.

McCauley no longer make the prop for the 152 (which was the standard factory fit prop) as they literally 'broke the mould' and decided it wasn't worth investing in a new one!

The result is that the Sensenich prop is now the standard fit item (and would even be supplied by Cessna if you ordered a prop through them). It is available in climb, standard and cruise pitches.

The Sensenich prop was not certified on Aerobats originally although it might be by now. If it is a French built 152, you might want to check the certification paperwork to make sure you can.

You can use the Public Cat CofA for aerial work/training but all the work has to be signed for by a licensed engineer. If the aircraft is already Public Cat and you don't intend to do any work yourself on it then keep it that way - it is more hassle and money putting it back to Public Cat and as most are used for training it is perhaps more saleable that way. Of course all this will probaly change with the EASA CofA....

S-Works
25th Oct 2004, 12:22
I run a couple of stunning 152's and would agree completely with A&Con this. I spent as much as I paid for the aircraft again to make it how I wanted it. GNS430, FM immune etc.

I changed my prop to the sensinich one about a year ago for the increase in performance over the standard fit rather to avoid any AD's. My aircraft achieves a sustained climb rate of over 800fpm with this prop. I also crusie straight and level at 23lph unleaned at 105kts at 2250RPM. The prop cost me £1800 and was the best money spent. I have the old prop overhauled and sat in a box if anyone wants it!!

Running a 152 is a lot of fun looked after properly will give a lot of fun flying. I fly a lot of heavier multiengined metal and would never give up my 152. Le Touq early on a Sat morning in the summer to catch the french market is great. I have been right across Eurpop in mine and the journey is part of the fun.

Running costs, I fly mine around 300hrs a year and the costs workout at around £40 all in. Hanger, insurance service etc.

As with any aircraft the more you fly the cheaper it becomes to beak down the fixed costs.

The 152 is easy to fly but hard to fly really well and even after close on a thousand hours on my own I still love to fly it. Great fun when you return IFR from a trip with an ILS let down. If you can fly the 152 in IMC the big stuff is easy!

PM me for more info.

B-X