PDA

View Full Version : an excellent video clip

Boeinguy
20th Oct 2004, 17:15
Didn't know where to post it, so here it is. This is about 4:37 minutes and shows some great flying. Turn your volume up.

http://www.atcbox.com/Downloads/Movies/Aerobatics/RedBull_Airrace_2004_Budapest.wmv

Taildragger
20th Oct 2004, 17:34
Fantastic flying. Doubt that approval would be forthcoming in this
country, especially by the Houses of parliament.
if my memory, the last time the Thames Bridges were done was way back in 19 Hundred and frozent to death, but a Mad Major in an Auster. Don't think it has been done in any sustained way since.

AdrianShaftsworthy
20th Oct 2004, 17:51
Didn't a 1 Sqn Hunter fly under Tower bridge many moons ago. If I've got the story straight pilot involved was met by Mr Plod as he shut down back at base. Good vid. Full length prog shown on TV a few weeks ago.:D

JP4
20th Oct 2004, 18:29
Just FANTASTIC flying!!!

I love it.

MerchantVenturer
20th Oct 2004, 19:44
Doesn't always finish happily though.

In 1957 Flying Officer Crossley, who was based at nearby Filton, flew under the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol in a de Havilland Vampire jet.

After flying beneath the bridge things went wrong and he crashed into the Leigh Woods (Somerset) side of the steep and relatively narrow Avon Gorge.

He was killed instantly.

As far as is known no-one has tried flying under the bridge since although in May 1997 a replica of Cabot's ship 'Matthew' sailed under it on its voyage to Newfoundland to commemorate the 500th anniversary of the original voyage. In a superb piece of timing a Concorde appeared low above the bridge just as the ship was sailing underneath. I was one of the tens of thousands of spectators lucky enough to see it (and video it).

Busta
20th Oct 2004, 22:16
Didn't Mike Bondesio fly under Lisbon harbour bridge in a Shackelton, needs must etc.

nothing matters very much, most things don't matter at all.

Tartan Giant
20th Oct 2004, 22:54
Busta

Didn't Mike Bondesio fly under Lisbon harbour bridge in a Shackelton

I'm afraid that is not what happened - he did NOT fly under the bridge.

TG

Random Electron
20th Oct 2004, 23:09
Fantastic footage- it thrilled me!

Fly3
21st Oct 2004, 02:45
Wow! It restoreth my soul.

fernytickles
21st Oct 2004, 03:57
Fantastic fun! Brilliant flying, great to watch :)

WindSheer
21st Oct 2004, 08:28
Absolutely incredible.

Shame about the music:ok:

The Mad Russian
21st Oct 2004, 09:35
Inspiring stuff… We need more of this sort of thing around Europe.

The Extra 300… Fantastic aircraft… Every airline pilot should own one!!

Genghis the Engineer
21st Oct 2004, 11:37
"Mad" Major Christopher Draper was the chap who did it in an Auster back in 1953 in a successful attempt to get the army to change it's mind about refusing to let him leave. His life story (and a hell of a story it is look at http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/encyclopedia/c/ch/christopher_draper.html )

About 5 years ago somebody repeated the stunt in a microlight, recognisable as a Pegasus Quantum but with the registration missing. So far as I know the person who did this was never identified, but "reliable rumour" all seems to consistently point to the same person !

G

slim_slag
21st Oct 2004, 17:56
What a cracking video, puts a right big smile on an old gits face.

Theres another vid out there with somebody going under a city bridge inverted, think it's also in Budapest. I seem to remember that the pilot was a friend of the president who was also an aerobatic pilot so he got off with a slap on the wrist.

And you cannot even fly over London in a single engined plane, I bet you would be treated more leniently in the courts as a mugger if you tried it in the UK

Lee-a-Roady Moor
21st Oct 2004, 21:51
Unfortunately I can't seem to get the links to work - even by registering :{ :{

Anybody else having problems, or any suggestions? :ok:

Oshkosh George
21st Oct 2004, 23:59
It's a large file,and you need to give it a lot of time. A friend without broadband was getting an indication of 1hr 45 mins to download!

Actually ,I\'ve just tried it again,and it\'s no longer working!

Ichiro
22nd Oct 2004, 02:29
slim_slag,

Is this (http://rafaero.free.fr/Videos/sukhoiunderbridge.wmv) the clip you are thinking of?

It's Jurgys Kairys at the Vilnius Airshow.

slim_slag
22nd Oct 2004, 05:43
Brilliant stuff Ichiro - but not sure how you got it from my description :) Thanks!

Obs cop
22nd Oct 2004, 10:32
Fantastic video,

I recall reading an item about the Red Bull air racing set up and how we did get a race in the UK. Does anyone know if this will be repeated and if so where and when?

Obs cop

slim_slag
14th Jul 2005, 20:18
Here you go obs_cop, Longleat on August 7th.

Was advertised on the tele last night during, ahem, big brother.

It's a lottery, so if you get my ticket I'll be pissed

Red Bull Air Race (http://www.redbullairrace.com/)