PDA

View Full Version : Respray of Fabric Aircraft

robin
20th Oct 2004, 15:36
Has anyone experience of a respray of a fabric aircraft?

If you hate the colour, do you have to live with it, or can you have the colour changed without a recover?

With tin ships I suppose you just chuck paint stripper over it and start again, but how do you go about it with an Aeronca?

Hairyplane
20th Oct 2004, 15:58
It is possible to paint strip a fabric aircraft. However, in practice it doesn't tend to get done because it is a horrid and painstaking job that will cost a large proportion of a complete refabric/ paint.

Better therefore to refabric, especially if the existing is quite old.

Another reason, and I am finding this with a reg. change I am currently contemplating with my Miles Magister, is that the original reg/ paint lines will always 'grin' through despite your best endeavours. With a tin plane you can of course remove the lot back to the shiny stuff.

Anyway, a job to discuss with the experts.

Call or visit Mick Allen of Mick Allen Resprays at Turweston.

VBR

HP

stiknruda
20th Oct 2004, 17:21
I'm involved with the rebuild of a fabric biplane currently. To cut costs the owner has decided to have the top wing rubbed down and repainted rather than remove the fabric, inspect the wing, recover and repaint.

I'm having nothing to do with the top wing as I know that the previous paint scheme will show through as outlined above by HP. I think that as the fuse, lower wings and empennage have all been beautifully recovered (Stik takes a bow!) that he is short changing himself and not doing the rebuild full justice.

Yes it can be done - but I wouldn't do it. No problem with touching up fabric that has suffered damage but a repaint is NOT a good idea - after all you end up just adding weight to the airframe.

You could also try Rob at aerographic.com, his work is exemplary, as I'm sure HairyP will testify to.

Stik

djpil
21st Oct 2004, 11:36
My Decathlon was rebuilt recently. One wing had been rebuilt only a few years before so I decided to leave the fabric and just repaint it (top surface only). Original colour was black and yellow in Randolph dope. Rubbed it back. White dope then the red dope - same scheme but different colours. Worked very well.
Done by Tocumwal Aviation Services (http://www.tocaviation.com.au/)

cubflyer
21st Oct 2004, 20:41
Im no expert, but I belive it makes a big difference what paint is on the aircraft already and what colours you are changing.
If its dope and you rub it down well and remove all the previous trim lines, then I think it can work.
If its other than dope than I think its much more dificult- although if its badly applied 2 pack paint, you can probably get it all off quite easiliy!!
If you are painting over red, then I hear that is very difficult.
Mick Allen is one of the best, so a good guy to ask.
Or as you are down in Devon, why not ask Dave Silsbury, he has been in the aircraft business for quite a while.

But if the fabric is getting old, then take it off and re do it. But fabric can easily last 20 years and more if the aircraft is kept hangared.

Jodelman
22nd Oct 2004, 10:30
I had my Robin DR400 repainted some 10 years ago - at least the wing was just repainted but the fuselage was recovered as well. Having sold it some 7 years ago, I saw it during the summer and the paintwork on both parts was still in excellent condition.

Cost me an arm and a leg at the time but Brinkley's at Meppersham did a first rate job.