PDA

View Full Version : Flying G-reg on FAA PPL

B2N2
20th Oct 2004, 13:02
What is the regulation number or air nav. order number that states that an ICAO license holder can fly in any ICAO country with "private priviliges".
So an FAA PPL can fly his own G-reg airplane.

Thanks

Flyin'Dutch'
20th Oct 2004, 13:09
Air Navigation Order Article 27

HEP-PPL
20th Oct 2004, 13:35
I may have misunderstood something, but I was under the
impression that is ANO 21(4) that allows an ICAO license holder
to exercise the license in a G-reg aircraft, with the two stipulations that you can't fly public transport or aerial work,
and you can only use an IR outside of controlled airspace:

http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20001562.htm#21

As I read it, section 27 appears to refer to mutual recognition
of licenses from EEA countries that aren't in the JAA:

http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20001562.htm#27

2Donkeys
20th Oct 2004, 13:49
Article 21(4) is the relevant piece of legislation.

By rendering (in this case) an FAA licence valid, the CAA is permitting the FAA licence holder to fly a G-reg aircraft anywhere in the world subject to the caveats contained within that Article.

Flyin'Dutch'
20th Oct 2004, 14:07
Typo, due to reverse order numeric keys!

FD

2Donkeys
20th Oct 2004, 14:25
I'd see a Doctor if I were you! Do you know any? :D

IO540
20th Oct 2004, 16:33
This came up here some months ago. Is this validation (of an FAA PPL) implicit or does one have to write off to the CAA for a piece of paper?

The point is that a piece of paper which one can wave in front of an official in e.g. France might be a good idea :O

2Donkeys
20th Oct 2004, 16:47
There is a severe risk of a rerun of the previous rather noisy thread on this subject.

The CAA does not issue a separate piece of paper rendering the foreign licence valid. In adopting this approach, it is not acting in accordance with the revelant ICAO standard practice which calls for a document to be issued. However, the UK has documented its deviation from this piece of ICAO procedure and there should be no reason for a foreign authority to challenge a pilot acting under these terms.

In any event, should the foreign authority wish to query the legal right of a pilot to operate a G-registered aircraft, you know who they are going to ask, don't you.

:D

2D

Flyin'Dutch'
20th Oct 2004, 18:55
I'd see a Doctor if I were you! Do you know any?
No good ones.

Anyway I thought it was now 'en vogue' to blame shortcomings on typos!

:}

FD

Cathar
20th Oct 2004, 19:07
However, the UK has documented its deviation from this piece of ICAO procedure and there should be no reason for a foreign authority to challenge a pilot acting under these terms.

Try reading Articles 39 and 40 of the Chicago Convention.

2Donkeys
20th Oct 2004, 19:16
Wondered when you'd pop up :D

BEagle
21st Oct 2004, 07:16
The CAA answer is:

"A licence issued by any other ICAO Contracting State (including a JAA State that has not yet been recommended for mutual recognition) is also deemed to be valid under the ANO for the purposes of flying a UK registered aircraft, providing that the licence and medical are valid in accordance with the rules/laws of the issuing State, and the CAA does not in the particular case give direction to the contrary. However, Article 21 (4) (a) states that the holder of such a licence cannot:

1) Act as a member of the flight crew of any aircraft flying for the purpose of public transport or aerial work or on any flight in respect of which he receives remuneration for his services as a member of the flight crew; or

2) In the case of a pilot’s licence, act as a pilot of any aircraft flying in controlled airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules or to give any instruction in flying.

Where a licence contains any extraordinary operational or medical limitations, individuals should contact PLD for advice."

Which means, in plain English:

If you hold a FAA licence and wish to fly a UK G-reg aircraft:
1. Your FAA licence and medical must be valid.
2. If you've got a FAA medical restriction, you must contact the CAA.
3. You may not conduct aerial work (or flight instruction).
4. You may not be paid.
5. You may not fly in conditions where IFR is mandatory in CAS.