PDA

View Full Version : VP-1 into the sunset

TheKentishFledgling
19th Oct 2004, 18:44
http://www.slbsu.org.uk/sunsetveep.jpg

A certain Pitts pilot positioning my Veep from LKI to his strip.

Roll on next week, when I'm hopefully bringing her home to Kent!

tKF

Flyin'Dutch'
19th Oct 2004, 19:05
Nice one,

Hope that you have blue skies and fair winds all of next week!

FD

stiknruda
19th Oct 2004, 21:54
I know that the afternoon was drawing to a close but I didn't realise that it looked that dark!

Something else from yesterday's trip - I tried to set up a side-slip to reduce height but the rudder authority was insufficient to allow me the rate of descent that I wanted (quite possible that I was expecting to stick her onto her ear and plummet a la Pitts). So the lesson there really is set up the sideslip earlier or be prepared to close the throttle to flight-idle sooner.

Hoping to collect tKf from Clacton over the weekend with his tailwheel endorsement sign-off still wet in his logbook! Then the games will truly begin! My girly friend took one look at the Veeppe in the hangar today and said, " Ed's parents can't love him very much if they let him fly THAT! When I met them they seemed so nice and they weren't short of a bob or two, couldn't they have at least bought him a Piper Cub?"

But she's just a girly!

Stik

TheKentishFledgling
20th Oct 2004, 14:02
:)

My mother's first reaction when she saw the Veep was "you're never flying that - it looks like something from a cartoon."

And for the record, I bought the Veep and couldn't quite strech to a Cub at the moment :)

tKF

Flyin'Dutch'
20th Oct 2004, 14:14
TKF,

For personal reference, how much lard can one get in the cockpit of a Veep?

FD

2Donkeys
20th Oct 2004, 14:27
I reckon that your mother's instincts are sound TKF :D I trust that your father has drawn up a suitable writ to serve on Stik should the worst happen and you plant the VP into the soft Kentish mud at an inappropriate angle.

2D

stiknruda
20th Oct 2004, 20:45
2D

I woke this morning having had a similar sort of occurence in a dream - tKf stoofs the Veep on my land and lies there badly injured. The insurance decide not to pay out as he was only a minor and his parents choose not to sue the vendor but yours truly because it was all my idea in the first place.

I call an ambulance and they take him to the Norfolk and Norwich, where Cusco (who is more used to examining girls bits) patches tKf up, he is as good as new and did not need the termination that Cusco threw in for free!

tKf decides to sue me because his film star looks have been lost. I tactically employ the services of FNG who amazes the jury with before and after fotos.

The veep is a rebuildable wreck, post prang - tKf has lost all that excess weight and thanks to Cusco now resembles deCaprio so the judge awards me damages and I live happily ever after.

tKf continues his flying career and ends up on a Virgin flightdeck - (thanks to Cusco!)

Stik

AerBabe
21st Oct 2004, 08:39
I think you should stop eating cheese before you go to bed at night, Stik. :suspect:

LowNSlow
21st Oct 2004, 22:09
Where do you get that cheese from Stik :ok: :ok: or have you been at the free range mushrooms?

TKF hope you enjoy grass roots aviation, it's the best kind :ok:

Cusco
21st Oct 2004, 23:07
tKF:

So sorry I missed the departure:

D. told me that you had acquired the Veep;

I'm gonna miss the old klunk heap at LKI, but I know you'll enjoy it.

Just be careful: it can bite and carb icing is a nightmare in those VW engines.

Let us know when you're airing the VP and I'll certainly try to get down there to give you support!!!!

Flying D: 70 kg of lard max or you'll never get above 10 f.p.m.!!

Holy cr*p Stik: you should put more water in it!!

cheers:8

TheKentishFledgling
22nd Oct 2004, 12:15
FD - let's assume I'm fourteen stone with all my flying globber (fleece, jacket, helmet etc) on. This means I can fly with just under 16 litres of fuel, which equates to an hour and a half in the air. Realistically I think an hour or so in the Veep will be enough before a warm drink and a pee is needed.

It can take 30 litres of juice full, but you really would need to be a stick insect to be able to use that much and be legal....

Cusco - will keep you informed as to when I'm flying her first. Am hoping to come to LKI to say hi to Rob and introduce him to 'TT end of next week, but that's a long way off at the mo.....

tKF

stiknruda
22nd Oct 2004, 16:54
Cusco - dear chap, I don't drink any more.............................but I don't drink any less! Actually may want a chat with you shortly, no need to worry, all to do with MRCP2 exams !

Okay, so last night CD, a babalicious aerobatic pilot pitched up at mine, wandered into the hangar and said - "My God, wtf is that? Don't you have a skip that you can throw it in!"

I, later recounted the story in the local pub with CD, who generally attracts an audence of blokes with tongues hanging out like my choccy lab, and a few mates then started to run through the usual VeePee jokes:

"How do you double the value of 'TT?"
"Fill her with Mogas"

"How do you treble the value of TT"
"Kindling"

"TT - so ugly you'd think she was built backwards, err with that inbuilt headwind she probably was!"

"TT - 20,000 homemade bits flying in close formation around an oil leak!"

I thought it all to be in very poor taste, so ran my keys down their Porsches when I left!

I spent an hour this morning in the hangar, gently telling her that she was almost as beautiful as the biplanes either side of her, but she'll never know I had my fingers crossed!!!

Stik

TheKentishFledgling
22nd Oct 2004, 17:44
I spent an hour this morning in the hangar, gently telling her that she was almost as beautiful as the biplanes either side of her, but she'll never know I had my fingers crossed!!!

But her owner will :* :}

tKF

Keef
23rd Oct 2004, 21:55
There are some things that are just meant to fly...

Veeps aren't among them. I had a friend who flew one: when I saw the thing, it scared the wotsit out of me. "You flew that to the PFA Rally?"

TwoDeadDogs
23rd Oct 2004, 23:22
hi all
Pay no heed to those unwashed who are denigrating your VP. It's a good aeroplane if a little "homely" and it'll give loads of fun flying to you. Worse things have flown into the PFA Rally!!!
regards
TDD

TheKentishFledgling
24th Oct 2004, 07:02
They're just jealous :=

tKF

Monocock
24th Oct 2004, 21:31
I think your last comment has just summed it up well old chap.

In my opinion there are far too many people out there who feel a satisfying flight is a perfectly executed trip to Booker Air Park in their hired PA28-161 with their GPS III telling them where to go. They wouldn't dare consider a single seat open cockpit taildragger because.........they are scared of it.

My hat is off to you for showing us that you have balls.

My hat will be off to you in years to come too when you sit in the LHS of a 747 at 45 years old telling the PA28 loving first officer about your VP-1. You'll look back and be glad you had it.

Fair play to you.:ok:

stiknruda
24th Oct 2004, 22:01
"They wouldn't dare consider a single seat open cockpit taildragger because.........they are scared of it."

Yep mono, as was I!!

Stik;)

shortstripper
25th Oct 2004, 04:56
Hi Ed,

Did you see my VP video in this forums sticky video post?

Expect plenty of stik (no not that one :p ) over owning a VP ... kind of adds to the fun really lol. Take no notice though, you'll have great fun in it ... just watch you stay ahead of the drag curve on take off, mine nearly bit me there!

SS

Kingy
25th Oct 2004, 12:41
Question...

'How do you vastly improve the looks of a VP1?'

Answer...

Park it next to the mighty Sky Scooter!!

http://groups.msn.com/LatinFlyersAirportBar/pprunegallery.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=849

I can’t be absolutely sure, but I think the other aircraft in the hangar turn away and kind of shuffle away slightly over a few days when I park it. The lonely old microlight however seems very keen judjing by the unsightly stains he keeps leaving.

Seriously, watch ignorant tin drivers with all the put downs shut the f**k up when you offer them a go. They’ll shuffle off mumbling something about no checklist, no check out… no auto pilot… er is that the time….

Best of Luck with it mate

Kingy

Monocock
25th Oct 2004, 21:21
When's the big day TKF?

Andy_R
25th Oct 2004, 21:51
Monocock

Sorry to go off thread, but the facility to PM you has disappeared. Can you let me have your e-mail address again?

tKF

Don't take any notice of the micky-takers. Enjoy it. Let the jealous ones be miserable :ok:

stiknruda
25th Oct 2004, 22:21
Mono - I don't think that tKf is "web enabled" at this time, he is at CLN in a "sh!tty B&B, drinking pints in Weatherspoons "(sic), waiting for the wx to ameliorate so that he can gain his tailwheel endorsement.

The plan was to whisk him back here tomorrow, let him trundle the veep around a few friendly local grass strips, then send him home to Kent at the end of his half term hols.

The wx seems to have scuppered that plan and he is yet to fly the Cub but does have a couple of flights booked for tomorrow. Tomorrow's weather seems to be lighter and he has a further 2 sorties booked for Wednesday. Although the Wed wx is not set fair, Clacton may just miss out on the high winds until later in the day so he may acheive his primary goal.

I don't realistically think that he is going to fly the Veep home this week, given that it unlikely he will qualify at all. He is due to check in with me tomorrow lunchtime, so I shall let hinm know you are interested in his progress.

Stik

Monocock
26th Oct 2004, 06:26
Thanks for that.

I'd love to see a picture of him getting airborne for the first time in it. Those VP1's have always fascinated me!

Cloud, PM's reactivated!

J.A.F.O.
27th Oct 2004, 14:20
How'd tKf get on at Clacton?

I think that I may have spoken to you on the telephone last week, either that or there are lots of people buying VP-1s right now.

When shortstripper gets his VP-2 back in the sky and tKf has his tailwheel rating and I've done all of the million things I need to do to get my VP-2 in the air we can form the PPrune VP Squadron.

Suggestions for the Squadron motto, please.

TheKentishFledgling
27th Oct 2004, 18:36
Well tKF is now tailwheel rated, after a few days at Clacton.

Managed to get all the flying done in a day as it happened, and even had an hour of Cub "pootling" over the local area - bloody good fun.

That's all for the training now, but watch this space for a bit more of a write up.

tKF

Flyin'Dutch'
27th Oct 2004, 19:04
Well done matey!

FD

Monocock
31st Oct 2004, 15:45
Come on.........you must have collected it this weekend?!?!?

Let's see the pic

TheKentishFledgling
31st Oct 2004, 17:55
Nope :sad:

tKF

Monocock
6th Nov 2004, 16:24
Have you got her home yet?

Just to be an annoying bas*ard I will keep bringing this to the top until we see the promised pic.......:cool:

TheKentishFledgling
6th Nov 2004, 16:46
Still nope :(

tKF

Monocock
15th Nov 2004, 17:55
:confused:

Still waiting old chap!!!

You must have got her by now????

surely not
15th Nov 2004, 17:57
do all your women play this hard to get home? :D

TheKentishFledgling
15th Nov 2004, 18:39
Nope :{

Next aim day is next Saturday - seems a long way off :(

tKF

stiknruda
15th Nov 2004, 21:53
Tango squared lies under an old leaky tarp(aulin) in a corner of my copse where the deer outnumber the trees. Last time I looked, she looked pretty complete...........

I urged tkf (or tcf as I occasionallly refer to him) to take his toy home last w/e. Wx = perfect. Owner playing lead fairy in the school play - say no more!

He knows I need the space!

Bliddy boy!

Stik

Ludwig
17th Nov 2004, 09:46
Stik

Will it burn?:cool:

stiknruda
18th Nov 2004, 15:28
Ludwig - we were both there when the man said, "Anybody flying a bloody VeePee should wear a hat with a bell on the end!"

tkf aka Rupert?

AerBabe
18th Nov 2004, 16:02
The weather for Friday & Saturday look ok. Fairly light winds, so the smoke shouldn't drift too far. :E

J.A.F.O.
18th Nov 2004, 19:36
I shall sew a bell onto my flying helmet in preparation for next spring.

bar shaker
18th Nov 2004, 19:48
Where, exactly, is T2 based at the moment?

I shall be flying in Essex, on Saturday, if I know its distance away, I may have a rough guide to its altitude. If its more than 10 miles from Maldon, it may be above 2000ft. ;)

Have a good flight Ed :ok:

Monocock
19th Nov 2004, 09:52
Drum roll........................................:D

Andy_R
19th Nov 2004, 19:06
Barrel roll...........

Snap roll...............

What's a drum roll?????

surely not
19th Nov 2004, 19:09
nothing like a spring roll

stiknruda
19th Nov 2004, 19:18
I do find English a very confusing medium.

Mid-week, Ed says "next Saturday".

It's now Friday and I've heard zip. Is next Saturday not this Saturday but next or is it the next Saturday to occur?

Off to The Bell to see if Adnams can offer a solution!

Ed if it is this w/e - it'd be great to know and if it is not this w/e it'd be great to find out why? Surely your school nativity play is not on tour - the tutu had to go back to your sister, I recall you saying!

Just a shame the TeeTee isn't heading off, too, too! However, I'm sure that I'll have space in my cellar for all the wine that you owe!

Stik

DubTrub
19th Nov 2004, 20:23
Stik:

He's probably out with the girls:}

Don't rib him too much, else I'll PM him with tales of your antics in Ozark! :ugh:

DT

ShyTorque
19th Nov 2004, 22:51
Gosh, the suspense is killing me..... :bored:

Monocock
20th Nov 2004, 06:13
Me too.

I'm out all day shooting fluffy things.

If it happens can someone text me......:D

Whirlybird
20th Nov 2004, 06:23
So who's going to start taking bets? :)

stiknruda
20th Nov 2004, 08:13
I'm out all day shooting things too (must get as much in as poss before this government start to ban that, too) - so even if tKf's school play has not gone on nationwide tour and he expects to play with his new toy today, he will be a little dissapointed.

Tonight, I'm partying with a cute little fluffy thing so will not want to open up the hangar at first light tomorrow.

Having not heard from Ed in well over a week now, I wonder if he is still alive?

Stik

DT - Ozark? Never heard of it - I fear that you are confusing me with Spanky?

bar shaker
20th Nov 2004, 16:06
I was bimbling around Essex in a flexwing microlight today. Over to Felixstowe, into Andrewsfield for the all day brekkie and a warming coffee with the boys.

TkF missed a classic day.

I would have thought the Chinese Army wouldn't stop him flying his new toy. Has he got cold feet?

DubTrub
20th Nov 2004, 23:28
Mr Stik,

Since it evidently wasn't you, I can reveal all:

There was aparently a group of Brits who turned up to a US Fly-in, and all hell broke loose in the deep and dark depths of the Alabama countryside. The local men were frightened, the sheep scared, and the llamas...well, they were all wearing neck braces the moment they heard of the arrival.

I heard that nastershiums were cast,
insults exchanged,
threats threatened,
beer drunk,
vocarious songs sung,
and devout promises of an annual return promised.

So can I come next year?

DT

AerBabe
21st Nov 2004, 08:30
Lucky you, barshaker. I had planned to do some flying with Genghis in the Thruster, and then some solo. As we drove down the M3 it started to rain, then sleet. By the time we got to Popham the snow was coming down thick and fast. So much for the weather forecast which had been showing sun in the south. :(

Monocock
21st Nov 2004, 19:59
Another poorly forecasted weekend by Mr Tyler, Fish and his cronies.

I was expecting blue skies at dawn and a crunch under foot yesterday as I went out to polish off some pheasants. Instead I was met with drizzle, sleet and fog. What a downer, but at least I wasn't looking overhead at a sky I would rather be flying in.

When I returned home I did the usual www.xcweather.co.uk check and realised the South west had drawn the short straw this weekend. The SE was stunning all day by the looks of things.

That VP1 will be a collectors item soon.........

Andy_R
22nd Nov 2004, 00:10
The SE was stunning all day by the looks of things

Uh......NO!!!

Ended up being dragged around every possible kitchen DIY store in Sussex :{ At least I'm on a promise if it's done by Christmas :p

Come on tKF - any news?

stiknruda
22nd Nov 2004, 08:49
Dubtrub - if you let me know who you are, I'll point you to the URL that has all the nasty pix of this alleged incident!

Stik

DubTrub
22nd Nov 2004, 08:56
PM in the post, Stik.

J.A.F.O.
22nd Nov 2004, 12:52
That VP1 will be a collectors item soon......... That's just the problem, it hasn't been collected.

stiknruda
22nd Nov 2004, 16:33
tKf phoned me at 1430 today (why wasn't he at school - waste of my tax?)
Saturday 27 is the day - he intends to arrive Fri eve, fly it early Sat and then head off home. This then gives him Sunday as contingency or time in Kent to show it to his mates.

Stik

TheKentishFledgling
22nd Nov 2004, 19:19
Greetings all - been away since Friday so missed out on this thread coming alive.

This weekend just gone was never an option, I was in London all weekend (A level stuff :() - sorry for the confusion caused - especially stik.

Anyway, this Saturday is hopefully going to be the day...let's keep those fingers crossed then :)

tKF

TheKentishFledgling
26th Nov 2004, 09:51
Well tomorrow's the day! Wx looks quite promising, and fuel stop is sorted (Great Oakley).

Fingers crossed, wave if you see a Veep flying between Norfolk and kent!

tKF

bar shaker
26th Nov 2004, 12:22
tKF

I'm away for the weekend or would have joined you for the Essex to Kent bit. Are you going Shoebury to Sheerness, or Canvey to St Marys Marsh? The chaps at Southend give a very good FIS and are always very helpful. Its always busy in the South Essex/North Kent area, so do radio them up.

If crossing at Canvey, you can normally see the refinery chimneys/flare stacks from the Blackwater. Easy Nav.

Don't forget to stay clear/above 2000' of Bradwell.

Hope its a good one.

Didn't know Gt Oakley did fuel. Is that something you have arranged?

stiknruda
26th Nov 2004, 16:40
He's on the train as I type this!:ok:

I really hope that the wx holds for him.

Actually a little bit of trepidation :eek: is creeping in (for me!) - quite a thing for a 17yo who can't actually drive to try and find his way back to Kent via Gt Oakley in an aeroplane that is probably a better bonfire than an aerial conveyance!

Tim at Gt Oakley does keep fuel but I don't know the details.

Tomorrow's wind looks like it it out of the south east so I hope he leaves in plenty time after he has done a circuit or two here.

Stik

Andy_R
26th Nov 2004, 22:09
Good luck to him................ the boy's got b#lls :ok:

stiknruda
27th Nov 2004, 00:02
He's serviced the slip ball, replaced the asi with one that reads less than warp factor 3, has had a good look at the a/c with my friendly pfa inspector and has a list of wee tasks to alleviate the boredom that many young men endure on winter nights!

We've looked at the chart, we've gone over the route, salient ground features, get out of trouble scenarios, what-if scenarios and he's now zizzing like a baby.

We are up at 6am and his adventure will begin! The hardest part so far has been convincing him to minimise the effort and make things simple - avoid using the radio, follow the A12, M25 to the QEII bridge then head home. He is going to have enough on his hands in a strange noisy open cockpit aircraft without being distracted by radio agencies and chit-chat!

His north-up map reading is something else that defies logic as is flight planning for 65kts! Pull the power back 100 prm and work at 60kts - make life easy. As for electonic gadgets, well I can say that withthe exception of his Casio wristwatch, all the dials and gauges are engine, static/pitot or magentically driven!

I've an 1100H appointment but intend to make sure that he gets to WP1 - so may just follow at a discreet distance. The speed differential may prove interesting!

Stik

Cusco
27th Nov 2004, 00:59
Ed:

I'll be thinking of you:

Sadly a/c not free Sat or I'd be in for a bit of shepherding.

If it all goes tits up weather wise tomorrow I'm free on Sunday with a/c so will gladly follow you down if you like.

Good luck mate.

Peter

PS Stik: watch that boy.

Guern
27th Nov 2004, 10:48
Good luck TKF let us know how you get on.

J.A.F.O.
27th Nov 2004, 11:57
tKF

Hope it all goes/is going/has gone* well.

The first of the Pprune VP Squadron.

JAFO

*Delete as applicable

Whirlybird
27th Nov 2004, 17:32
So?????

The suspense is killing me.

stiknruda
27th Nov 2004, 17:54
The good news is that tKf is safely home.

I'm sure that he'll post an account of his epic later!

(when he gets back from the pub!!)

S

AfricanEagle
27th Nov 2004, 18:37
BRAVISSIMO, tfk !!

Congratulazioni.

AE

Cusco
27th Nov 2004, 21:45
Brilliant Ed.

Knew you'd do it.

Andy_R
28th Nov 2004, 00:58
Glad he got home safe and sound :ok:

vintage ATCO
28th Nov 2004, 07:52
Must have been a good night up the pub! :D Where is he? :confused:

LowNSlow
28th Nov 2004, 08:52
Well done Ed, welcome to the enjoyable poverty known as aircraft ownership :ok: :ok:

TheKentishFledgling
28th Nov 2004, 09:04
Hi all.

Yup, I'm home and safe, but flew back by Pitts not VP-1.

Unfortunately on the first take off in the Veep, at about 400' the power dropped suddenly, picked up again and then dropped right down. So sadly I had to put the aircraft down in a field which resulted in a smashed prop, bent u/c legs and a smashed wingtip - the field was a very soft, muddy winter-wheat field.

So quite an interesting (read terrifying) first flight. All in all I'm glad I got down in one piece - the aeroplane can be repaired - for humans it's not quite that easy. Also very proud of myself that in the situation I managed to do what I was trained to do and execute a forced landing - with my very low total time and zilch time in the Veep, as it turned out I don't think it was a bad result considering what happened.

The shock of what actually happened still hasn't totally kicked in - I'm sure it will, and so the next day or so could be interesting.

In time I'll write up more about what happened, but at the moment it's all a bit of a blur.

My infinite thanks to stik for the help before and after the "flight" - from driving to the landing field at warp speed to flying me home in the Pitts later in the day, stik was a mate through and through yesterday - thank you.

tKF

AerBabe
28th Nov 2004, 09:43
Really sorry to hear that, Ed. Such a shame after the build-up you've had. :(

BUT, you've now got that first forced landing over and done with. Next time it happens, you'll be that little bit calmer about it.

Stik - You're a good bloke. :ok:

stiknruda
28th Nov 2004, 10:06
From take-off to his successful forced landing took Ed just 6 minutes! He chose a big drilled field to put her down and had it not have been so wet, he probably wouldn't have nosed it over but the wheels caught in the sprayer tramlines and she came to rest on her nose.

That's only £25,000/hr!

It is rather sobering recalling some of the things that were said prior to his first flight. I told his mum that the worst that could happen is that if he lost an engine, he'd just glide down! On Friday night Ed and I talked about the flight and I said that the VeePee being such a low energy machine was VERY unlikely to kill him or do him serious damage.

After some vigorous taxy runs up and down the strip....THE FIRST FLIGHT

I stood halfway down the strip as a distance marker - if Ed was not airborne or very close to it by the time that he reached me, he was to abort.

Ed's departure was spirited in a way that only a first flight on type can be - he climbed straight out (in a crazy-flying act :) manner) to the giddy altitude of about 500' - he then executed a left turn, he climbed a further hundred feet or so and orbited to the right. At this stage the engine sounded fine but I could see that he was struggling to climb. I spoke to him on the radio and urged him to get a bit higher (Norfolk is thankfully very flat!). He responded that he was having problems climbing. He continued to fly around and I began to realise that a) he might be having BIG problems and b) that he although was just over a mile away - that he might be disoriented. He then dissapeared behind a large plantation and then the engine died.

Feeling utterly sick I ran to the car and heard a very weak call on the radio, "Stik, help me!" I tried to raise him on the handheld but to no avail.

Not knowing exactly where he was - and not knowing how he was, I dialled 999 and asked for the amby service.

(I've lost friends in aircraft crashes and saw two fatal crashes at very close range - one a chum, so I'm really expecting the worst but hoping for the best)

I live in the middle of nowhere and I would expect it to take about 30 mins for them to arrive. I explained my predicament to the operator and drove around for 10 minutes before I found Ed standing by the side of the road. In a straight line Ed was just 2 1/4 miles away from the strip. As he appeared to be fine and rather proudly showed me the very short landing run, I deduced that he'd not suffered any injuries and cx-ed the amby.

What I didn't realise is that as soon as I'd uttered, "light aircraft, forced landing", to the operator that she turned out all the services! So about 20 minutes later, when we'd made a plan to recover the aircraft, enlisted the help of a neighbour with a truck, plod-u-like and the fire service both arrived with blues and twos!

The firemen were great and really ripped the piss from Noddy, errr Ed. The policemen decided to cordon of the crime scene and initially wouldn't believe that baby-face is old enough to fly. They then decided that the aircraft could not be moved until the CAA Air Accident Investigation branch had been out and, "They are probably busy people, Sir, so it might not be until the middle of next week".

I slowly explained that as no-one was injured, that there were no unusual circumstances, that the PIC has 7 days to report the incident. They must have paid heed to this for they radioed "Control" to check the authenticity of this. At this stage there were probably half a dozen cars being held up on this very quiet country lane and the police helicopter was hovering above!

Of the 6 cars - I knew 3 of the drivers including a lady who on seeing the tail T2 behind the fire appliance, said, Oh my Gawd Stik, is Ed alright! I pointed to Ed who was posing with the firecrew as they had their picture taken next to the front of the VeePee! He certainly seems alright, she said!

After about an hour plod got bored and decided that we could remove the offending article from my neighbour's winter wheat field!

The firemen, having nicknamed Ed, the brave teenage flyer, later assessed that he was up for fun, amended it to the "the brave teenage crasher". Ten burly firemen soon had the Veep on board the truck and off we all (recovery truck, firecrew, Ed and I, plod-u-like, the old bill helicopter!) trundled to mine, where the sad little Veep now rests in the hay barn.

After a cuppa, Ed decided that he'd best let his folks know, just in case they'd be interested. He told them he'd be at Manston at 14H00 and could they meet him.

I prepped the bipe and off we went to Manston. I levelled out at 1900', 24 square and turned the controls over to tbtc. "I have control, can I do an aileron roll?" So we basically rolled and looped and flew inverted down to Kent in the warm winter sunshine! Can you show me an avalanche, can I follow you through on a down 45 flick?

The resilience of a seventeen year old is remarkable.

He did a very fine job of choosing a big field and putting her down safely. It is unfortunate that the Veep nosed over at the end of his abbreviated landing roll and suffered a bit of damage but Ed walked away from it. Good instruction, 'cos the trg kicked in, just when he needed it to.

Well done, Edward. Now, no crashing tomorrow during your driving test!

Stik

Monocock
28th Nov 2004, 11:17
Bloody hell Ed!!

What a maiden voyage that was.

Careful how you go after your experience. My similar happening was four months ago now and I still think about it more than I would like to.

Glad you're ok.

M

Chimbu chuckles
28th Nov 2004, 11:32
Well done lad....another 4 and you will have caught up to me....ok 2 were in twins and one in a 4 engined jet :E... however as my old and (once) bold Dad said many moons ago after my first..."One must maintain a sense of humour about such things":ok: :E

Whirlybird
28th Nov 2004, 15:08
Well done Ed. :ok:

I'm seriously impressed (and relieved!) that you handled it so well. Shame about the aircraft, but as you say. it's replaceable, and you're not.

AfricanEagle
28th Nov 2004, 18:43
Hey Ed, welcome to the club :)

Very good to hear you are okay and did an excellent job landing.

I misunderstood Stik's first post but now having heard all the story you deserve a double "Bravissimo"!!!

Ciao
AE

shortstripper
28th Nov 2004, 18:54
Well done Ed

I'm sorry to hear about the VP but SOOOO glad you handled it well and live to tell the tale. Actually that sounds too dramatic! You did what you were taught, did it well, and turned adversity into an adventure and a tale to tell your Grandkiddies ... well done you! :ok:

SS

J.A.F.O.
28th Nov 2004, 19:56
Shame about the Veep but well done Ed, as you said the aircraft's repairable, young daredevils not so.

Good show.

LowNSlow
29th Nov 2004, 05:39
Well done that man. Now you have a nice winter project with Uncle Stik demonstrating his wood working and fabricking (sp??) skills to you! Who knows he might even talk you into building a Pitts!!!

bar shaker
29th Nov 2004, 19:32
Ed

Sorry to hear of your woe.

When I read that Stik was sending you down the M25 to the QEII bridge I wanted to post that the area is seriously lacking places to put down, if the worst should happen.

But I decided that such talk could be bad karma on a first flight.

I am serious relieved that you had a good field to go into and that you walked away.

You are, however, a lucky lad. Few of us have a mate as good as Stik and even fewer who would get to P2 a Pitts home as consolation.

:}

Stik, you are a good man.

bs

Shaggy Sheep Driver
29th Nov 2004, 21:30
Bleedin 'eck Ed, you do lead an interesting life. An engine failure just after your PPL - and handled 100 percent professionally. Very well done - I hope I cope as well if it happens to me.

And Stik - he couldn't have asked for a better mate or more dedicated support. Hope he buys you a pint or 3 :)

Vince

Kingy
1st Dec 2004, 15:14
Crikey,

The whole episode sounds like a carbon copy of my little incident in the FRED last year, right down to the VW partial, then full loss of power and the hoards of keystone cops arriving.

Sounds like you did a great job in putting her down. Very well done for keeping your head and your speed up for the forced landing - it's very easy to get caught out by how little inertia these things have, not to mention the poor glide ratio.

Well, at least your log book will be interesting reading for your grand kids!

Kingy

bar shaker
1st Dec 2004, 19:30
Now for the disectiction...

What caused it?

They are famous for icing and several taxi runs would not have helped, if the grass was wet.

Was it that???

Monocock
2nd Dec 2004, 07:04
Now for the disectiction...

If you mean by "disectiction" what I think you mean can I suggest we don't bother.

The poor chap has had a hell of a fright and if the Amateur AAIB lot get going it's just going to make the whole thing a lot worse for him. After my EFATO I was amazed at how many people wanted to tell me what had happened to me and believe me, it becomes rather irritating after a while.

Can I suggest we focus our energy on getting the guy airborne again.....:ok:

Whirlybird
2nd Dec 2004, 08:12
Can I suggest we focus our energy on getting the guy airborne again.....
Well said Monocock.:ok:

englishal
2nd Dec 2004, 08:32
I'm thankful that I live a boring life nowadays ;) Maybe I should get myself a Pitts to liven things up....

Well done for not getting hurt, lets hope you're back up in her soon.

Small Rodent Driver
2nd Dec 2004, 13:28
Just been reading about recent events after taking my eye off the thread for a few days.

Well done that man!

Glad to hear that human cargo intact and sorry to hear that aircraft not quite so.

Hope the VP1 is back in the air for Summer 05

SRD

bar shaker
2nd Dec 2004, 19:27
Mono

Sorry if my post was out of order.

I suffered massive carb ice just over the end fence, this summer, on one of those rare flights that my wife had plucked up enough courage to come flying with me. Her screaming was quite off putting, as I lined on one of the areas that my farmer kindly leaves as set aside for us resident pilots.

I wasn't trying to detract from Ed's magnificent efforts, resulting in him walking away, but wondered if anything had been readily apparent, in the inevitable checks afterwards.

bs

stiknruda
2nd Dec 2004, 19:57
Mono - concur 100% with your sentiment.

BS - lots of checks, nothing conclusive - but bearing in mind the amount of time that we were precluded from the a/frame initially by ensuring that Ed was okay, then by plod u like, carb icing would have not been apparent.

Ed passed his driving test on Monday morning but is unwilling currently to post as he feels he might project a "too cool" image. (Actually tonight he's out on a promise with Latvian triplets!)

Englishal - just buy a Pitts, all I can guarantee is that it will increase your quality of life!

Popped out for a pint earlier and was button-holed by two farmers who wanted to know all about the micrololight in the field next to Loxxxx Rd, Sat am!

"Micrlolight, don't know chaps - best speak to the folk at xxxxx xxxx - they may have some info ;)

Stik

bar shaker
2nd Dec 2004, 20:24
Ed

Sod the flying, let us know how it went with the triplets :D

And as regards being too cool... you did a great job and deserve to feel cool about it.

Vont phood
2nd Dec 2004, 22:08
Latvian Triplets!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully you'll need a four seat a/c after tonight then!! Same as flying though........ don't go down too soon....

sorry for lowering the tone

J.A.F.O.
2nd Dec 2004, 22:31
Just hope that you can keep it up for more than 6 minutes this time, Ed.

Don't worry about appearing to be too cool, what you displayed was cool - cool calm professionalism. I only hope that if and when the day comes for me I can handle it so well.

Big Hilly
2nd Dec 2004, 23:24
Am I alone in thinking that this is one of the very best threads here on PF in a very long time?

It goes without saying that the young chap has my utmost admiration but, more importantly; the entire saga from start to finish (especially Mr Ruda’s help and assistance) just demonstrates what an exceptional GA community we have here in the UK.

BH

Whirlybird
3rd Dec 2004, 08:50
No, Big Hilly, you are not alone. :ok:

stiknruda
3rd Dec 2004, 22:41
Late Fri eve and I want to share the following with you (all y'all as they say in Ozark, DT!) ;

1) Ed's mummy phoned and said that she, Pater and babalicious elder sis (not Latvian!) were all going flying tomorrow with Ed in a Piper "PAtwentyeightdashwhocares" sort of aeroplane.

2) Ed apparently felt the need to show the triplets exactly how to get back to Riga as he has not been home since stepping out last night.

3) My gardener arrived this morning at 0700 (whom Ed has met several times) with daring stories of some young sky-God executing a perfect forced landing as described by plod-like to the Eastern Daily Press, Diss Mercury and East Anglian Daily Times. Gardener took one look at Ed's VP and announced that "joost a coople of week--enzs and we coould 'ave it souarted out for yoong lad, waat yoo saay - baas? Gardener is not from Soweto but very, very local but I don't have a Norfolk keyboard to hand!!

I firmly told him that to leave aviation matters to the experts (or actually the PFA) and that it was high time he cut back the asparagus ferns and mulch the bed with well rotted horse-poo.

Then I made him a mug of tea!

So Ed , when are the horsey-girlies going to be able to reach the hay without passing bales over TT? Sarah and Sue would love to know your plans, lad!

Stik

J.A.F.O.
3rd Dec 2004, 22:48
I agree about this thread being one of the best, I started off wanting to know how Ed got on with his Veep and now I'm hooked on the tales of his nights with Latvian triplets and Stik's life in rural Norfolk.

It's better than The Archers, this is.

BRL
4th Dec 2004, 02:51
Any photos then Ed? (of the prang that is......)

J.A.F.O.
4th Dec 2004, 03:28
I know he's a moderator, Ed - but don't feel that you have to limit yourself to photos of the prang.

BRL
4th Dec 2004, 09:44
:D :ok:

bar shaker
4th Dec 2004, 13:12
... and pictures of the Latvians, please :ok: :ok: :ok:

DubTrub
4th Dec 2004, 21:24
Oh really, bs, wake up and smell the coffee.

bar shaker
5th Dec 2004, 11:49
DT

Are you trying to say they are ficticious?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AerBabe
5th Dec 2004, 15:55
What's so special about Latvia? England produces plenty of good-lookin' birds, dunnit?

Monocock
5th Dec 2004, 17:27
Yes Aerbabe, England does produce plenty of good looking birds.

Sadly though, the last ten years seems to have turned them all into "right-on, bra burning, ovary freezing power freaks".

(Not my words, they are the words of a well known politician I recently had the pleasure of dinner with....!)

I'm not saying I totally advocate his theory but there is a tiny amount of truth in his words.

Then, at the other end of the scale there are Latvians, Poles, Hungarians and Russians............:E These lovelies still like being female and make it ever so apparent in the lovely way they conduct themselves.

Oops, have I said too much?!?!?!?!:ouch: :hmm:

Whirlybird
5th Dec 2004, 17:39
Monocock,

Quoting someone else or not, I think maybe you're possibly showing your age. ;) No-one to my knowledge has burned a bra since around the 1960s. Most women find them extremely liberating, particularly when doing enything energetic

Monocock
5th Dec 2004, 17:49
Sorry Ma'am.

Would you like me to delete my last post?

DubTrub
5th Dec 2004, 19:55
b s

Not at all, just that the two previous posts seem to have said it all!

camaro
11th Dec 2004, 19:07
Another VP-1 to return to the skies soon....

After several years in storage VP-1 G-AYXW should be flying again early 2005. 'The Red Baron' was built in 1972 by John Penny who sadly passed away earlier this year. John very kindly left the aeroplane to the members of Netherthorpe PFA Strut with a view to us returning it to airworthy condition for some cheap flying.

Ed - get yours fixed and we can have a Pprune VP Fly-In!:ok:

Pic of G-AYXW (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/730116/M/)

stiknruda
11th Dec 2004, 19:30
Volk-me,

That is even uglier than Ed's aeroplane!

Stik

J.A.F.O.
11th Dec 2004, 23:07
camaro

Sorry to hear about John Penny, I had no idea until your post.

I spoke to John a couple of times in 2003 as I'd just bought what remained of a VP-2 that he built in the late eighties/early nineties.

The Veep is heavily modified and all of the mods are John's very own creations. It also had the eagle on the tail, just like yours, which I didn't intend to put back on now it's re-covered but if it's a Penny trademark I'll definitely try to do it.

I'm still rebuilding but hope that it will be in the air in the summer of 2005.

We'll either have to see about forming a Pprune VP Squadron or Penny's Flying Circus.

camaro
11th Dec 2004, 23:31
Stik

It ain't a VP if isn't ugly!:)

JAFO

I think our VP was John's first of many projects. Others that I know of are a Sopwith Triplane replica (G-PENY I think) your VP2, a Kitfox and RAF2000 auto gyro. Don't know if the eagle is John's crest but we are leaving his name (Baron Von Penny) on the side of the cockpit.

A Pprune Veep squadron, now there's an idea!:D

TheKentishFledgling
12th Dec 2004, 08:48
Greetings all. Love the idea of a proon VP fly-in - let's get 'TT back in air and then who knows ... :)

Thanks for all the messages of support and advice - very much appreciated. Just waiting for a few quotes for the airframe work and then we'll decide what's going to happen.

And yes, the triplets were good fun, pictures on request ;)

tKF

Chimbu chuckles
12th Dec 2004, 12:57
What's the attraction with VP-1s...why not something pretty like a Corby Starlet?

J.A.F.O.
13th Dec 2004, 00:24
It's in the eye of the beholder.

stiknruda
13th Dec 2004, 08:24
JAFO, Camaro,

Neither of you would happen to have a spare serviceable port wing and a serviceable undrcariage for a VP1, perchance?

Or does anybody else know where these parts may be procured?

Ed - know that I think about it, wasn't there some Veep bits on thehangar a few weeks ago? Might be worth contacting the vendor.

Stik

J.A.F.O.
13th Dec 2004, 13:28
Stik

I know someone with 80% of a VP-1 which he keeps threatening to rebuild but so far hasn't and he's not too far from you (Mid-Suffolk) - I'll ask and see if he's willing to do anything.

JAFO

PS I hope he does as I've been trying to steal bits for the last year but he won't let me because he thinks he needs them.

camaro
13th Dec 2004, 18:40
Stik

As it happens, I know a guy who has a VP1 in bits after somebody drove a car into it. Will have a word and see what his plans are.

stiknruda
13th Dec 2004, 22:31
JAFO/Camaro

If you chaps can't help, I'm a guy who will quite willingly reverse his tractor (DB) over a Veepee to get me and Davey Broon out of the mess that we find ourselves in!

Alternatively, I suppose I could unbolt the broken the wing, but tKf hasn't sanctioned the work, yet! Jeez - a bottle of red only goes so far!

Stik

camaro
13th Dec 2004, 23:11
Stik

Unfortunately it's been sold on to someone else. Apparently it was the port wing that was knackered anyway. The undercarriage would have been great as it was titanium!:eek:

Camaro

J.A.F.O.
14th Dec 2004, 00:03
Everybody who knows someone with a Veep also knows at least one person with a part-finished/part-destroyed Veep.

There is a moral here somewhere but I refuse to work out what it might be.

shortstripper
14th Dec 2004, 06:29
Oh dear :uhoh: I have 2!

Well VP2's that is. One will be flying early next year and the other (hopefully) the following year.

I'm afraid I don't know of any spares but as far as unbolting wings and repair work goes, I can assure you there are few aeroplanes as easy. VP's are not pretty, but they are very easy to construct and repair. That is the main part of their appeal ... cheap easy construction, and safe (ho hum :ugh: ) if sedate flying.

Good luck Ed (and Stik :E )

See you at the VP fly-in next summer :ok:

SS

IFHP
16th Dec 2004, 13:13
Share in VP-1 for sale on Ebay

stiknruda
16th Dec 2004, 17:03
Six man hours to remove wings and tailplane. I'd estimated an hour and a half.

Access to the live nuts behind bulkheads was very poor, why did they not use captive ones?

To withdraw the rear spar bolts, it was necessary to remove the harness lap strap as the fittings share the same bolt but won't let you get a spanner or socket on with harness attached!

Detaching the aileron control cables and the tensioner cable from the stick probably caused most swearing and certainly produced most blood as my fingers kept finding shards of stainless steel locking wire! The fact that this was all done sight unseen caused the outbreak of the vocal symptoms of Tourette's!

Anyway I was quite surprised by the weight of the wings and the tailplane and after 6 hours began to contemplate whether a match would have made a more conclusive job!

Stik

camaro
18th Dec 2004, 11:48
Stik

Where was Ed? Hope you weren't doing it by yourself!

stiknruda
18th Dec 2004, 18:17
Ed was probably trying on new ball gowns for the next school play...., well that's what he tells the girls in Pronuptia! A size 18, Sir? None of our ladies are an eighteen!

Elapsed time was 3 hours but I did have the help of a rather glamorous assistant, who is far more used to doing rectal examinations on cattle but seems to know her way around a tool box!

There is a very sexy VP (take my word for it.....) that just needs a right wing for sale in PF today!

Stik

Big Hilly
18th Dec 2004, 18:35
Share in VP-1 for sale on Ebay
I found THIS (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5348680335) 'Fly Away VP1' fpr sale on EBay too. I have to say it looks rather flimsy and having seen it, you wouldn't get me flying one but I can see that the Latvian Triplets would look good in it. . . . :D ;)

BH

DubTrub
19th Dec 2004, 00:09
There is a very sexy VP
Yeh, I used to work for a posh Company that had one of those...

...got me fired, though:ugh:

J.A.F.O.
19th Dec 2004, 22:00
Stik

Saw the Veep in PF - are you sure it's ugly enough to be a Veep?

shortstripper
22nd Dec 2004, 17:57
Ed,

Check your PM's

SS

bar shaker
13th Jan 2005, 20:05
Ed

Have you nailed any new bits on yet?

TheKentishFledgling
14th Jan 2005, 15:30
Not yet. Had a very promising phone call this afternoon though.....

tKF

surely not
14th Jan 2005, 15:51
The Latvian triplets again TKF? :)

TheKentishFledgling
14th Jan 2005, 16:12
No, they've returned to Latvia sadly.

There's a lovely Russian girl I know though whose Dad learnt to fly on Yaks ;)

tKF

Cusco
15th Jan 2005, 02:19
Ed: Please tell me she's not called Tatiana.

Safe (and prophylactic) flying.

Cusco

TheKentishFledgling
17th Jan 2005, 15:44
No that's her sister.

tKF

Rod1
24th Feb 2005, 16:21
Any news on the aircraft?

TheKentishFledgling
24th Feb 2005, 16:29
Written off. It's not going to be economical to repair an aircraft with such a low value, and others can hopefully benefit from the parts.

:(

Now the hunt starts for another aeroplane.....

tKF

shortstripper
24th Feb 2005, 16:31
Sorry to hear that Ed :( ... Don't let it put you off small PFA types though (I'm sure it won't)

SS

Rod1
24th Feb 2005, 16:41
Sorry to hear that Ed. Hope you find another.

Rod1

stiknruda
24th Feb 2005, 17:00
Written off but incurring huge storage bills at a Yellow Box in Norfolk.

Ed's bill to date
-------------------

Positioning costs
Ten pound landing fee

Hangarage for 2 months
Taxi costs from Diss railway station
B&B for owner

Recovery from crash site
Dismantling into component bits 6 manhours
Storage

I'll soon be able to retire at this rate!

Stik:E :E

shortstripper
24th Feb 2005, 17:17
Careful Stik!

Without wings, tail and engine, the VP1 is a perfect shaped box to, errrrm, well .... ? Lets say that if the bill gets to high, TKF might recoupe his costs by selling it to you as a future investment, or .... put you in it prematurely :E

SS

TheKentishFledgling
24th Feb 2005, 17:18
:oh:

Did you get my email earlier this week Stik - not heard anything back.

tKF

surely not
24th Feb 2005, 17:27
I'm sure you'd accept a night with the Latvian triplets as payment in kind wouldn't you Stik?

stiknruda
24th Feb 2005, 19:56
tKf - not heard a thing, dear boy!

tKf - totally wrong about LadyDoc - wrong genus!

sn - Latvian triplets, that would be "incestuous", where did you think Ed found them!:ok:

Stik

TheKentishFledgling
24th Feb 2005, 19:58
Re-sent!

tKF

bar shaker
26th Feb 2005, 16:43
Ed

Sorry to read that mate. What's the new plan then?

TheKentishFledgling
26th Feb 2005, 16:48
At the mo, try and get rid off the bits of the old one, then start thinking about another machine, be it a Veep or other.

:(

tKF

shortstripper
26th Feb 2005, 18:54
Did the insurance pay out Ed? What's your budget? I'm sure there will be plenty of advice on a suitable replacement, be it whole ownership or share :ok:

SS

LowNSlow
28th Feb 2005, 09:30
Bad luck Ed. There's a VP2 in January's PFA mag for 3,750 including a spare engine. There's also a Rand KR2 single seater, no sensible offer refused plus a Minimax 91 for 4k. If you can strech to it there's also a Jodel D9 for 6,550 ono.

Good hunting.

stiknruda
16th Jul 2006, 20:23
Well folks, it's been a long time coming............ the Veep has gone, not far short of two years since Ed's epic "once in a lifetime flight"!
I shed a tear................
http://www.brockfordtechnology.co.uk/albums/Misc/VP0ff2_1.jpg
then the car started...............and I started to smile
http://www.brockfordtechnology.co.uk/albums/Misc/VP0ff2.jpg
then I let out a huge cheer and opened some bubbly as the bl00dy thing trundled down the drive
http://www.brockfordtechnology.co.uk/albums/Misc/VPoff3.jpg
You have no idea how much space a dismantled aircraft can take up in a 60'x80' barn.

The funny thing is that the trailer was as ricketty as the aircraft, ho hum - I'd not want to tow either!

The End

Stik

Zulu Alpha
17th Jul 2006, 14:22
".................. and they all lived happily ever after".