PDA

View Full Version : Is any N reg training legal in this country?

vsukpadman
19th Oct 2004, 08:00
Hi all..

A few of us chatting about N reg stuff in the pub (as you do) and noone could decide the real legal position to this

A N reg aircraft is owned and flown in this country by a Ltd company ...it has full club insurance ....
The aircraft is hired to someone wishing to transition onto that type, and an instructor who has both JAA and FAA appropriate ratings , charges for his time doing the transition training....
Is this legal ?
It would be deemed Aerial work under the ANO (or so it would seem) but the fact it is N reg would seem to cloud the water ....

The pub concensus was that this would NOT be allowed under the ANO , thereby invalidating the insurance in the event of a claim...

This would mean that ALL flight training schools in the UK using N reg aircraft would be operating illegaly , - so how do they do it....is there a method by which this is possible so as not to flirt with the law ?

I have read a lot of threads here skirting this issue but there seems no clear cut answer...

any help appreciated !

Padman

NorthSouth
19th Oct 2004, 18:01
Some months ago I e-mailed the two main organisations doing N-reg training in the UK asking precisely this question. Got no answer from either. Maybe they're just very busy.....

In any case, before too long they'll be required by EASA to meet European ops and licensing requirements which may well eliminate any of the benefits. For details see www.easa.eu.int

IO540
19th Oct 2004, 18:23
In any case, before too long they'll be required by EASA to meet European ops and licensing requirements which may well eliminate any of the benefits. For details see www.easa.eu.int

Where on that website did you find the above?

2Donkeys
19th Oct 2004, 18:28
I think that NorthSouth is prejudging the outcome of the recent EASA Consultative process.

DFC
19th Oct 2004, 21:11
I believe that if the aircraft is an American aircraft (N registered) and the pilot in command holds the appropriate FAA licence to fly and instruct and the instruction is following the US system and is training towards a US licence or rating then;

Provided that the pilot in command flies the aircraft legally there is nothing wrong.

However, it is not possible to train student pilots on such aircraft since the FAA student certificate and ability of an FAA instructor to give solo authorisations is not valid in the UK.

If that was not the case then Airlines of US origin would never be able to train (checkout) pilots on flights between the UK and USA or on flights that overfly the UK.

Where there could be a problem is when the operator of the aircraft is UK based but the owner of the aircraft is (has to be) American.......in that case, the UK "legal person" (company) is hiring an aircraft out in the UK jurisdiction and under UK law and that could cause problems. A far tighter way to operate would be for the US based company to own the aircraft and also open an office in the UK to provide training/ hire out the aircraft.......that would seem to sit better with JAR, EASA (so far) etc.

I believe that Naples tried to open an office at Calais some years ago. Don't know what happened but perhaps they could provide some advice.

Regards,

DFC

vsukpadman
20th Oct 2004, 09:04
Thanks for the replys

this has been VERY fully discussed now on the "other" forum , and I think I have the answers I need now

many thanks