View Full Version : Luton Contract

atco_uk
28th Nov 1999, 19:40
We hear that NATS bid for Luton may be falling apart. What is going on? Don't Luton ATCOs fancy PPP either?

------------------
atco_uk

Special VFR
29th Nov 1999, 01:47
We hear that it is the malcontent(s) at Luton stirring the pot. This is known. Keep the faith.

PPRuNe Radar
29th Nov 1999, 06:21
But surely those two guys at LTN don't have that much power, do they ?

http://www.goldplace.com/ttexas/happy.gif

------------------
PPRuNe Radar
ATC Forum Moderator
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by PPRuNe Radar (edited 29 November 1999).]

getumdown
1st Dec 1999, 01:42
I understand that the staff are 100 percent behind the entire unit transferring into NATS stewardship. The HR discussions are thought to be on schedule.

The technical problems facing both NATS and Luton management are bound to cause delays according to local information. It is understood that because of severe under funding of the unit over the years, questions are being raised about the costs involved. This ain't a simple transfer. Much work is required in order to provide the infrastructure needed by NATS?

The employees are still on course to tranfer in Feb 2001, but It is doubted the contract will be in place?

getumdown
2nd Dec 1999, 00:30
Further to the above. The radar room is housed in the oldest terminal building at Luton, circa 1950. Wooden, rotten and nasty. Within this building are all the vital components that make up an ATC unit, ILS monitor, NDB, voice switch, etc, etc, etc. The company it is rumoured, wants to bulldoze the builing to connect two cul-de-sac aprons with a taxiway. All the component parts must be moved across the airport to the VCR to enable this to occur. So even if NATS gain the contract, huge money has to be spent by Luton moving the above. Money, which accoring to easyJet, Barclays Bank want back quickly for the lending they made to build the new tiniminal.

ATCO's at Luton are worried that the JCB's will move in whilst they control!

To effect a handover of radar to NATS by Feb 2001, contracts need to be signed now. It is doubted that the paper on which the contract will be signed has been grown!

atco_uk
2nd Dec 1999, 00:30
Surely NATS have so much to prove as far as being seen to gain and manage a 'new' contract is concerned, that they would throw almost everything at making it work? Southampton (BAA) would have serious doubts if the Luton deal fell apart.

You say the troops are 100% behind NATS, Luton Airport PLC must be pretty crap?

ATCexpert
2nd Dec 1999, 02:20
The fate of the old approach building has nothing to do with the NATS contract - it's got everything to do with improving the ground infra-structure to allow the airport to expand. This is a decision that has to be made by the Airport operator, not the ATC provider.

Has the airport got a future, or will it be the low-cost airport that can not make money.

getumdown
3rd Dec 1999, 00:19
When you say Luton Airport Plc are crap, although you are not quite correct in the Plc, the crap bit has been expressed by the employees within Air Traffic Control many, many times.

Regardless of the technical issues, expect a slow progress. Southampton are lucky in so much that there are no technical issues being reported.

Some of the best minds within the unit are working hard on the technical front. The trouble is that large money must be spent by the airport according to local info.

Where does leave the staff within ATC at Luton?

In a new state of art radar room with modern displays and callsign conversion. Still in a rat infested cow shed though!

All the staff are really excited about the NATS roadshow being held at the IBIS hotel on December 7th 12.00 and 14.30. Experts talking? Come and see for yourself?

atco_uk
4th Dec 1999, 21:58
Anyone can turn up to these NATS presentations at Luton then?

If I bring some friends can we expect lunch?

Should be very informative.

------------------
atco_uk

atco_uk
4th Dec 1999, 22:08
How about a PPrune ATCO Christmas Party at The Ibis Hotel, Luton then? Maybe Bill S. topping the bill followed by ATC Expert who could gives us the benefit of his wisdom on airport economics and I here that Luton's ATC Training bod is VERY good and could guarentee some media coverage :)

------------------
atco_uk

Special VFR
5th Dec 1999, 13:34
Yes, The Sunday Times and The Gruniad. By fax, no doubt.

Special VFR
8th Dec 1999, 23:13
Well, what happened at the Roadshow then? Do tell. Are you all still keen?

Special VFR
9th Dec 1999, 02:46
Oh, I see. THAT keen.... :)

getumdown
9th Dec 1999, 18:57
It is understood that there were differences on a number of issues. HR saying one thing, 'Airports' saying another. Very worrying time for all concerned.

dme4
10th Dec 1999, 02:38
I'm told that everyone is singing off the same hymn sheet and that all the staff are happy. Not listening to rumours again, are you? ;)

fredbloggz
10th Dec 1999, 04:25
Don't be too sure - same hymm, maybe, just not the version I remember from Sunday school! Seems more like devil LEAVES the hindmost, which ain't on. If NATS want the whole contract, they get it all, the union position is no one left on HMS LLAO when the lifeboats sail. Perhaps the head honchos didn't get that message through their heads, yet. They will.

[This message has been edited by fredbloggz (edited 10 December 1999).]

jumpseater
10th Dec 1999, 05:40
Hello fred! egnaro rools!

getumdown
10th Dec 1999, 19:28
It is understood that the staff at Luton are so happy following NATS two presentations that they have asked their union to call an urgent meeting for next week.

say_again
10th Dec 1999, 20:11
Same hymn sheet eh! I suppose that the union meeting has been called to celebrate Christmas and sing carols and toast the NATS presentations.

I for one want to know why 'NATS' aiports are saying totally different things compared to my understanding of recent assurances given by my employer.

Not many staff are happy at Luton currently that is why we have requested a union meeting.

Off now to start singing hymns

say_again
10th Dec 1999, 20:13
DME4 can I suggest you re-calibrate your perceptions of staff contentment.

dme4
10th Dec 1999, 23:37
Only what I am told, my friend. Clearly not all your colleagues are of the same opinion. No doubt it will all come out in the wash.

atco_uk
10th Dec 1999, 23:50
It's beginning to look like the Lutonites don't know what they want! You apparently work in crap conditions, with crap equipment and you hate your management. Somebody comes along offers something different, which I heard most of the troops thought was well presented and generally acceptable and you are still pi**ed off! (I never did get my invite, did Mike B sing a song or just take notes?) Why not get your Union bods to deal with what you didn't like about the deal and make it work. Ever thought your management might just be looking for an excuse to pull out?

------------------
atco_uk

say_again
16th Dec 1999, 01:07
Union reps walking around with big smiles at Luton. They are being very cagey. Must be good news following their recent meeting with NATS.

Keep it up chaps

ATCexpert
20th Dec 1999, 04:12
Come on boys - it's gone a bit quiet. Haven't the Luton mafia got anything to say - or are they rattled by the impressive display by NATS.

Over to you Mike T or B (or X or Y2K).