PDA

View Full Version : Approach Briefing...

south coast
18th Oct 2004, 08:06
Hi there all...

I am going for an interview shortly and would like to know opinions on the correct way to carry out an Instrument Approach(plate) briefing.

I know how I do one, as I have been flying for several years now, but would be interested to hear what people say when it is a interview question.

Or perhaps, as I sure is very possible, I have forgotten things or am doing things slightly different....

Advise would be appreciated.

SMJP
18th Oct 2004, 09:07
Mine is normally:
Procedure identification , Airport name, Primary navaid frequency and identifier, Final approach course, GS alt at OM lowest DA(H), Airport elevation, MSA, applicable notes in notebox, Rate of Descent and Missed approach procedure.
Hope it helps :ok:

Gin Slinger
18th Oct 2004, 13:43
Mention the number & date of the plate(s) you're briefing from.

Recently I had a situation when flying as PF into an Italian airport, expecting a 'non-SID' arrival that was very familiar to me, with a colleague who hadn't been there for many years. Our company SOP is that the PNF does the FMC entries on the approach, so when the inevitable happened and we were cleared a point off the planned route I knew from memory where to head, plus the point was clearly shown the plate in front of me, however my colleague initially didn't do anything, then when prompted my be, me responded in an unexpected way by (with LNAV engaged) entering & executing a similar sounding, yet incorrect point which he had picked off what it turns out was an incorrectly selected arrival plate.

Luckily I promptly steered in approximately the right direction with HDG SEL and we quickly sorted out the right entry when our mental picture became synchronised, however this experience did demonstrate the importance checking during the briefing you both have the same information in front of you.

No_Speed_Restriction
18th Oct 2004, 14:03
My own method. Start from the top of the plate downwards(omitting the unnecessaries); I dont believe in darting back and forth across the plate

Diabolo
18th Oct 2004, 15:08
1 STAR,
2 Approach briefing including Navaids, Communication + Failure if any special procedures for that airport(causion USA !!!! you can be shot) :) (no offence)
MSA including the highest relief nearby the field, IAF, ILS(or Non Pre.) Publish Missed App climb grad etc.... Bingo Fuel to Alternate.
After landing where to vacate the runway, if known gate No.

Depending on the WX CAT II or III special Brief but it is a long story.

I believe their is always something to discusse in an App briefing.

Last word on my brief " Any question or suggestions"

I use this when do the brief and sometimes add more , Happy landings !

Intruder
18th Oct 2004, 20:37
Start with the "briefing strip" at the top of the Jepp plate. Use your checklist, FHB, or FOM guidance after that.

73krijger
18th Oct 2004, 20:42
Just something small; If you fly a non precision, brief the PNF that he will call alltitude versus distance after point of descent.
And further more, I allways start left top and then descent 'south' on the approach plate. Not just read it! try to memorize the approach details, so you don't have to look on the plate during the approach or have to ask your PNF.
Good luck!!

Pilocol
18th Oct 2004, 21:28
I can relate to Mike Jenvey almost to the comas...
Very good briefing...
I will add... do it 200 NM from Destination, I had a very good instructor that told me... If you are not doing it at 200 NM you will not have time to do it later... if you are not doing something after that you might get in deep S#%@$#....
All the briefing described by Mike Jenvey is the best that you can get, but remember do it on time, you don't want to rush it ... the sooner the better, provided you copied the ATIS ... most of them you can get before 200 NM...

Keep it safe..

Human Factor
18th Oct 2004, 21:39
My preference is to brief from the FMC, as this is what the aeroplane will actually do, whilst continually referring to the plate. It also ensures that everything is covered in a logical order. This may vary between types but for me on the Triple, this is the order:

1. Legs page (covers STAR, Approach and G/A in order).
2. This prompts you to check for minima and Aa.
3. Vnav descent page (Mach/speed during descent, wind, transition altitude and MSA)
4. Approach page (weights, Vref)
5. Autobrake (prompts you to look at runway length, lights, airfield, etc.)

The above should cover most things. Finally, review using the checklist summary to mop up anything you're likely to have missed.

The main advantage is interaction. Get the other bloke to read the plate while you check the box. Better than the regular drone!

OzExpat
19th Oct 2004, 07:02
As well as all the aspects that have already been mentioned, I also brief the visibility minima for the approach.

keithl
19th Oct 2004, 09:02
Just like to endorse Ozex's last. We insist on min RVR in the brief on the basis that this is the only item which could actually make the approach illegal. (i.e. "Approach Ban").