PDA

View Full Version : Hard interview question

allwerp
18th Oct 2004, 06:51
I went for my cadet pilot interview today and the interviewer who is a captain asked me a lot of questions..One question was like this..'You are a co-pilot.you and your captain are flying on a route that has a 7000m+ mountain in the middle of the route.the captain decided to fly low over the mountain as he didn't know the exact height of the mountain and he under-estimated the height.you as the co-pilot understands the situation and know that you're going to jeopardize the safety of the passengers by flying low over that mountain.u have tried to convince the captain and yet the captain is very stubborn and decides to stand on his ground no matter what.What will YOU do?'
I was quite confused and dont know what to answer.What is the most appropriate answer to his question?

catchup
18th Oct 2004, 06:57
1. Insist on your objections.
2. No effect? Take over control.

regards

selfin
18th Oct 2004, 14:54
I think I'd be inclined to knock him out before taking over the controls.

No_Speed_Restriction
18th Oct 2004, 15:34
A bit of a no-brainer I have to say.

scanscanscan
18th Oct 2004, 15:39
Tell him it is a very good question and you will ensure this subject is fully covered in your training course.
You would then expect to react according to your company procedures training to cover this event
Say presently you are not a copilot and have not been trained to deal with this situation but if you insist I give you an answer I would not let him kill me, the passengers, or crash the aircraft.
I would act positively and reasonably and ensure it all sounded logical in the CVR. I would be happy to be alive without a job than dead and everyone knowing I sat there and let him kill us all.

allwerp
19th Oct 2004, 06:46
know what i answered?i just say that i'd have to take over the controls.as the safety of the passengers and the crew is my topmost priority.he also asked me a question..'since ur a college student,if ur lecturer has given u a project,and he has given a set of rules and procedures that u must adhere to in doing the project.but u noticed that a few rules are unimportant and can be skipped.thus,enabling u to finish the project sooner and u will be have more time to polish ur project and correct any mistakes in the last week before the deadline(i told him that i am a perfectionist and i like everything to be perfect,and he said in this way,i will have more time 'perfecting' my project).

So what's the most appropriate answer?do they want pilots to 'skip' some rules and regulations like that if the pilots are totally confident that it's the right thing to do..or do they want pilots who will obey the rules and policies set by the company no matter what? what would be the most generally-accepted answer to this question?

catchup
19th Oct 2004, 07:19
pilots who will obey the rules and policies set by the company no matter what?

Then commercial aviation will break down. (Try to obey ALL the rules driving a car).

regards

windtalker
19th Oct 2004, 07:38
give the old man a drink and have him believe in you, if it dosent work take over . and kick his ass on groung.:yuk:

MightyGem
20th Oct 2004, 01:45
Alwerp, if you're such a perfectionist, how come your typing, puncuation, use of capitals etc is atrocious?

High Speed Descent
20th Oct 2004, 03:36
if you're such a perfectionist, how come your typing, puncuation, use of capitals etc is atrocious?

Hey MightyGem,

It is spelt PUNCTUATION