PDA

View Full Version : D&D for practice

OneMileHigh
15th Jun 2000, 20:44
There's a big debate going on elsewhere about the use of 121.5 for practice pans. It's cause some real heat, not all of it justified, but it would be interesting and informative to get your views on 121.5 practice pans, and if a dedicated freq is possible and/or desireable.

Special VFR
15th Jun 2000, 21:41
The only people who can really answer this are D&D themselves and I am not sure if any of them subscribe. Under the current guidelines, listen out before asking for a practice pan, shut up if something for real happens, I wouldn't have thought it a problem. I would think D&D value the practice pans as much as pilots. Comments, anyone?

Capt Wannabe
15th Jun 2000, 23:17
Well, its been said before, but here's my tuppence worth.
When I visited D&D at LATCC a couple of months ago (thanks Mr Chips!), the guys emphasised several times that they are more that happy for practice pan calls. Of course they mentioned listening out on the frequency prior to the call, but I got the impression that they actually enjoy their job, and get as much satisfaction as we do in flying the planes.
On the day we visited they tried to arrange a practice pan from an aircraft in FIR, but as it was a bad day, there were only a couple talking to London Info, and neither were willing. Bit of a shame really, as the guys were keen to show off all their flash bits of kit.

OneMileHigh
16th Jun 2000, 03:21
Cap'n, that's what I thought and believe, but what's the feeling about a separate freq for training.

Not my idea, just pushing the thoughts of others.

Mr Chips
16th Jun 2000, 13:41
I have taken the other thread to D&D, they were very interested to read it. They do encourage practice calls, butthey would like a sep. freq as well. sadly no-one will pay for it. The other thread (in Tech) has lots of people declaring what pilots should and shouldn't do....
Hopefully OC D&D will register soon - she has the details! Hello Ma'am if you are out there!