PDA

View Full Version : Shoreham -credit where credit's due

DOC.400
17th Oct 2004, 17:00
Seems only too often people prepared to slag off airfields, so......

Me and DOG.400 flew to Shoreham this afternoon to go for a walk on the beach -yeh, decadent, I know, but why not??:O.

Friendly reception from the booking in chap (well, he was relieving me of fifteen quid!), lovely cuppa, from a china pot and in a proper cup and saucer, and a huge scone with marg (not butter!!) and marmalade, for the princely sum of two squid!!

They also do an airfield tour at 2pm every Sunday.

Has the little aircraft relics museum disappeared now? I assume it was where Ricardo's new building is?

Rgds
DOC

ThePirateKing
17th Oct 2004, 17:09
Darn. I was going to go to Shoreham today, but Farnborough and Heathrow were both showing clouds at 1400ft, so I didn't. :mad: :D

TPK:ok:

DOC.400
17th Oct 2004, 17:19
Pirate King -it was gorgeous!! 3,000ft out from LM and 2400' return, but only because I returned via Midhurst VOR -cld see LM from Farnborough -no probs. Just a few isolated squalls around, which cld be seen for miles, also a bit blustery at times, but nothing I cldn't handle!!;)

And it didn't rain on the coast at all. :D

Rgds
DOC

Monocock
17th Oct 2004, 18:36
I must say it's really nice to hear some praise for an airfield for once rather than the usual slating they get for their food, landing fees and height of urinals etc.

I too like Shoreham and really like just being inside that great building!!! The food is great, plenty of activity, the people are friendly and the last time I went the girls serving food were worth going for. Even if I had a 50 kt microlight I would take on a 49kt headwind to see the smile of that tall dark haired girl!!

I have yet to go to the beach from there. How long does it take by foot?

DOC.400
17th Oct 2004, 18:48
LOL Monocock!! But that's exactly why I posted. I always go on the premise, "If you have a problem, tell us. If you don't, tell your friends."

The beach was about a fifteen minute brisk walk, out of the terminal building, turn right, follow the road to a roundabout, straight on, right, first left, and there it is!! According to 'Autoroute' its' exactly one mile.

I walked along the beach towards the town, back a cross a footbridge over the lagooon (some STUNNING houseboats there, BTW.......), thru the town, over the road bridge(NOT SP airport), right at the activity centre and along a footpath (past a kids playground our boys have used in the past) under the railway line that brings you out at the SE corner of the airfield.

Always nice to find a walk near an airfield, as it's a very sedentary hobby!! Must do a book on it.....'Walks Near Airfields Wot I Have Known'

Oh, and since you mention the urinals, the first floor ones at the terminal well worth a visit!!

Then back to White Waltham for a beer -perfect!!

DOC

PPRuNe Pop
17th Oct 2004, 19:29
And it was pouring here all morning with stratus at 600' and I could have gone with him. :{ :{ :{ :{

Not sure about the brisk walk though!

Call you to-morrow DOC.

D

Cessna 210 Heavy
21st Oct 2004, 14:08
I love Shoreham! It was one of my stop off points on my Nav on my PPL.

I think of it as a small LHR. Tiny little taxiways and very professional ATC makes the trip a real joy for the pilot and pax.

GroundGirl
24th Oct 2004, 09:23
Sadly the D-Day Museum is closed now they auctioned off all the memoribelia well over a year ago now. I worked at Shoreham for a fwe years and it is a nice friendly place, the best bit was the views of the college on the side of the downs out of the office window. There is another nice walk if you take the same path at the SE corner of the Airfield and instead of going under the railway bridge to the town, go up river - lovely pathway along the banks of the river and will take you all the way up to Upper Beeding and Steying which both have some fine places to eat.:ok:

DOC.400
24th Oct 2004, 18:15
That would be a good 4-6 mile walk. Is Bramber Castle worth a visit?

DOC