PDA

View Full Version : Deadheading

catchup
17th Oct 2004, 09:16
Let's say you are working for an airline with high safety standards. For some reason during your trip you and your crew are scheduled for a DH flight with an airline holding a bad safety record. That bad that you wouldn't travel with them as a privat person. Would you accept deadheading with them?

regards

flyblue
17th Oct 2004, 10:18
At my airline there are safety checks on the companies we use for DH. The unions also check them, and if you are not satisfied you can submit a report, either to the company and the Unions.
But, to be more specific, some time ago a friend advised me that an African company we were using for DH was an accident waiting to happen (he was on the process of resigning from that same company for the same reason so he knew what he was talking about). I reported the fact, but had I been rostered on a DH with them I would surely have called sick. It's not your employer who's gonna raise your kids after you're dead.

eggplantwalking
17th Oct 2004, 13:40
Catchup,
At some time, someone must have thought you capable of making intelligent decesions, or you would not have progressed to your current level in aviation. To accept someone elses decesion which is contrary to your own reguarding your personal safety would, to me, be unacceptable. Unless you have a desire to join the list of other "Dead Heads," which I seriously doubt, best insist that other arrangements are made for your transportation needs.

catchup
17th Oct 2004, 13:45
Unfortunately it isn't that easy. Refusing a DH flight which you are rostered to MAY have serious consequences by the company who you are working for.

regards