PDA

View Full Version : Where at Humberside??

Humberella
16th Oct 2004, 07:01
Hi, I live in Hull and have decided that I want to learn to fly. I have seen that at Humberside Airport, there are a few schools, Frank Morgan, Soloflight and Humberside Flying Club but don’t know which one to choose.

I have heard rumours that Soloflight is in financial difficulty and is closing down or is been sold off. Has anyone heard the same? I have had a trial lesson in a Warrior and a C 152 but preferred the Warrior due to its size. (It was a little ‘cosy’ in the 152).

Being new to all this, I wondered if anyone can advise me as to which school to go to. I have heard so many nightmare stories of schools closing down mid training and am a little worried, to say the least, of parting with large amounts of cash and not being able to complete training with whom I started and then having to start all over again elsewhere.

When I hopefully pass, I intend to tour the UK and Ireland by air with my family and thought that the warrior might be the best bet.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Flap40
16th Oct 2004, 08:06
RULE 1: NEVER repeat NEVER, pay money up front for flight training!

RULE 2: Go back and read rule 1 again.:cool:

DRJAD
16th Oct 2004, 09:05
Whatever you eventually decide, I'd suggest you don't make up your mind until you have also looked at flying training at other fields within reach.

Obviously, training at Humberside would give you some experience of flying with an ATC service. Other (fairly near) fields would give you experience in flying with A/G service for example. The differences, and advantages of the various environments have been rehearsed many times on these pages, searches will discover them.

So, in addition to the vital advice posted above, also shop around. As an idea, there is flying training available at Beverley, I believe, and at Sherburn in Elmet, and, I believe, at Wickenby. I stand to be corrected, but it would be a good idea to do the research.

Humberella
16th Oct 2004, 20:10
Thanks for your answers so far.

I have heard of people paying up front, only for the school to either go bust or move to an airfield too far for the student to travel to, so I won't be doing that.

Do like the idea of ATC control as I will be in the thick of it so to speak right from the start.

Anyone else have any advice or suggestions?

Mr/Ms Mod...

Is there any way of getting a link with the instructors forum so I may get ideas from them aswell??

Chilli Monster
16th Oct 2004, 20:23
Do like the idea of ATC control as I will be in the thick of it so to speak right from the start.
This has to be one of the biggest misnomers that people come out with.

It doesn't matter where you learn, but the fact that you'll be training at an airport witrh commercial traffic, with limited access to the runway means a lot of your 'valuable' (costly) learning time is going to be spent sat at the hold with the engine running or flying orbits downwind while you're waiting for them to arrive or depart. (This is not me having a go at Humberside ATC, who do a wonderful job - it's just a fact of life).

You will get more 'bang' for your 'buck' at an A/G airfield in the early stages of learning to operate an aircraft where it's more relevant. The three rules of aviation are "Aviate, navigate, communicate" - it's not a bad idea to learn in the same order.

Humberella
16th Oct 2004, 20:47
Thanks Chilli,
People I have spoken to have said that they were petrified of speaking to ATC when flying so I thought it might be better to go in at the deep end but I see your point.

And are you really kept waiting that long at the hold? Hadn't really considered that point.

silverknapper
16th Oct 2004, 20:56
Speaking to ATC whilst you're flying can mean all sorts, from position reports to joining the circuit. IMHO the radio work near the airfield is the easiest. Were you to start at an A/G field you would easily learn how to talk to an ATC. And as has been said, the benefits of A/G are many, mainly culminating in less cost overall, or more time in the air. Never fear talking to ATC. As long as you have learned the book they will be patient and accomodating.

niknak
16th Oct 2004, 23:52
Check your PM's.

justinmg
24th Oct 2004, 15:01
Humberella,

I have recently trained at Humberside with Soloflight. I started last Nov. and got my PPL after 47hrs. I am very happy with the training I recieved. The aircraft are all PA-28s (four of them), and I could pretty much book lessons as I had spare time.
The instruction is very good, and they have an experienced ground school instructor, who gets students from all over the north of England (upto ATPL).
I am not sure how you heard that they were in difficulties, but this is not true. In fact, the school buildings have just been extended to add a further 2 breifing rooms in the last month or so.
If you want to know anything further, please feel free to PM me.

Justin

A and C
24th Oct 2004, 16:09
Go back up the page and read Rule 1 another six times !.

Megaton
24th Oct 2004, 17:12
I trained at Humberside and never experienced much holding for commercial traffic (except when sent on extended downwind for inbound traffic during my first solo!).

Humberella
26th Oct 2004, 01:45
Justinmg
Thanks for that post but I was told at the weekend that they have just lost their top instructor to another airfield and only have one full time and one very part time instructor left.

I Don't really want to take as long to do the course as you, I have a job where I can work my hours round flying. Would like to finish by Christmas this year or very early in the new year weather permitting.

I did hear that the lady who does the groundschool is very good indeed, might do the ground school with her and then find an alternative airfield with a few more instructors on site as I wouldn't have thought that one and a half instructors is enough to cope.

I was also a little worried on the advice I was given regarding medicals.
It was suggested that I went to my GP for a basic one then upgrade to another higher (class 1/2?) medical later. Surely wouldn't it be more prudent to have the higher class medical first? What if I were to fail the class 1/2 medical after doing say 30 hrs or so? I guess that I would end up wasting my money on lessons when there was no real chance of getting a license at the end of it all. (apart from the NPPL which won't be of much use to me as I want to be able to fly abroad.) Am I right in my thinking?

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

ShyTorque
26th Oct 2004, 07:54
I must concur with the comments about payment in advance - DON'T do it. History has shown time and time again that aviation does tend to be very much a "boom and bust" industry.

I received first class professional licence instruction at a once renowned flying training school in Scotland a few years ago. However, I was surprised to be asked to pay in advance, which I declined to do. During my few weeks there I kept getting phone calls from accounts, asking me to bring my account up to date. It quickly became obvious to me that the "writing was on the wall" for what had been a large flying training establishment. The accountants were running the place. They ceased offering flying training very soon afterwards.

Sometimes the easy option isn't the best option; it's sensible that you are looking a little further afield for alternatives. Make a broad decision. :ok:

Chilli Monster
26th Oct 2004, 08:41
I Don't really want to take as long to do the course as you, I have a job where I can work my hours round flying. Would like to finish by Christmas this year or very early in the new year weather permitting.

Then you're living in the wrong part of the world and starting at the wrong time of the year. An instructor is not going to risk his licence and livelihood by sending you off cross country in marginal weather - it's going to have to be better than someone who's a licence holder.

It was suggested that I went to my GP for a basic one then upgrade to another higher (class 1/2?) medical later. Surely wouldn't it be more prudent to have the higher class medical first?

It would - don't mess around. In fact, go the whole way. Are you just going to stay at PPL or are you eventually hoping to get a Commercial licence? If the latter is the case then book the inital class one at CAA house Gatwick. That's one of the stumbling blocks to Commercial Careers - you might as well find out now rather than waste a fortune to discover you aren't eligible.

Have a read of the links contained here (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/med/document.asp?groupid=211) . In addition you can find your nearest AME (Authorised Medical Examiner) who can issue a Class 2 medical through the site too.

Humberella
26th Oct 2004, 10:21
Chilli and Shy, thanks for your answers.

Maybe I am being a little too ambitious with the time factor but I thought that it was better to have a tight time schedule rather than allow say a year to complete the course and keep putting things off. I want to learn hopefully in the shortest period of time possible but I wont sacrifice safety or quality in the process of achieving my goal.

I definately won't be paying up front for flying training and take on board all of what you say on that subject.

I'll have a look at the link posted re the medicals, I think there might just be a trip to Crawley coming up!

Wearing broad decision head now!! And looking a little further afield too.

Is there anywhere that do a residentual course for either just the flying or ground school or both combined? I suppose I could look at that option. (excluding the US or abroad)

IFHP
28th Oct 2004, 10:00
I did my training with soloflight a few years ago and I still recommend them to friends. Their aircraft tend to be well loved and the PA28 is much more comfortable than a C152 and not that much more to hire. Learning to fly from "proper" airport means you have a bigger runway and better facilities to start with, however Humberside is not too busy but you occasionaly get kept at the hold (not as bad as Cranfield... 25 mins watching the hobbs tick round).
Beverly's handy for you alot less hassle plenty of room to learn to fly but with limited Radio work.
Sherburn is between the two, a choice of runways and more of a club atmosphere.
RE speed of getting your licence, is it important ?are you going to go further ie cpl or is just for fun.If its just for fun then it doesnt matter how long you take. Some of best flights were during my training because every flight had a purpose.
What sort of flying do want to do when you've got your licence?

A and C
29th Oct 2004, 18:46
Have you had a think about driving down the motorway to Sandtoft ?.
Its not far and I would guess you could get a good deal on the training and very little time wasted with other traffic.

Hotel Uniform Yankee
29th Oct 2004, 20:56
There is no training at Sandtoft anymore. Only microlights. Soloflight seem to be getting quite alot of bad press at the moment in the local press. I would think this is where the rumours are coming from. Which instructor has left Soloflight ?

DRJAD
30th Oct 2004, 10:18
Might be worth mentioning, apropos radio work in training, that Sherburn has a kind of 'halfway house' situation, being situated within the Church Fenton MATZ.

So, although it's an A/G station itself, as soon as you go out of the circuit, you have to negotiate a FIS or RIS with Fenton, and, of course, are close to both Leeds Bradford (Class D) and Humberside at that point, both of whom are very helpful in providing information and radar services.

There are also, of course, the other nearby MATZes, Linton, Leeming, etc., and Teesside and Newcastle airports with their Class D.

In other words, the entire area east of the Pennines can be said to have graded opportunities in the air for efficient practice and learning of RT, without either being devoid of 'busyness' nor so congested as immediately to be confusing for a student.

Justin Abeaver
1st Nov 2004, 10:27
Soloflight are no problem. Best of the bunch at Humberside. There are 2 Instructors as far as I'm aware (I'm off the scene at the moment), 1 full time and 1 part time. Since the sad death of the owner who was also the CFI, they have a very experienced Examiner who will come in when needed, and who is great to fly with.

The Ground school side is also good. Did all my flying and groundschool there and have no complaints at all. When I had to convert to FAA for a job I went for they did all the FAA groundschool and exams. I got 98% in my IR exam and 96% in my Commercial.

BUT in flying there are 3 golden rules:

1. NEVER ever, put money up front.

2. Read rule 1 again

3. Read rules 1 and 2 again.

Pip Pip!

:ok: