PDA

View Full Version : A student query

helicon
11th Jun 2000, 21:59
Hiya, I'm a CATC student and I was hoping someone could clear up a few questions I have. I am hoping to be an area controller, and have been told that if NERC opens on schedule, ( stop laughing, you there at the back ), then we'll all go there to validate. Otherwise, probably LATCC or a possibility of Scottish.

Can anyone give me an idea of how long it would take to validate at NERC, (hypothetically), and at LATCC & Scottish. Also, what is the starting salary once we leave the T&D scale? No bugger seems to have an answer at the college.

Cheers.

Roger That
11th Jun 2000, 23:18
Will look into the timescales for Scottish IVCs as there are no ab-initio IVCs planned for this year (the target validation time varies anyway, sector by sector - TMA could take a year or so, others less).

As for salary scales, get yourself IS access (an E-Mail account) and check the salary scales published on the intranet as they're kept up to date. If you have problems let me know.

Failing that the answer is (of course) "not enough"

RogerT

Goldfish Watcher
12th Jun 2000, 14:35
helicon,
I have recently arrived at LATCC from the college.

Current info/rumours suggest that course 110 will go to Swanwick. I beilieve that courses 111 onwards will see the majority of students posted there with possibly 2 to ScOACC and 2 to MACC. Both of these units really need new postings because LATCC absorbed all graduates from 107 & 108.

From what I hear on the training side it may be a while before any new postings get training at Swanwick. Basically, there will be no new training untill the OJTI's agree that they are confident in the system and are willing to commence a training programme. This will then involve writing a training plan - which is said to take 2 years from concept to implementation !!!???

As for T&D scale. Difficult to answer this because IPMS are trying to change the T&D system. They want to reduce the time to 1 year and add that you move off as soon as you gain first validation (could be as little as 6 months for some airports!). As it stands at the moment T&D runs from about 26K to 29K (including your UHP and London weighting). After that it is first point on ATCO 2 Scale which I think is mid 30's

Of course this could all be a load of crap, but get used to it...

Goldfish

[This message has been edited by Goldfish Watcher (edited 13 June 2000).]

Bright-Ling
12th Jun 2000, 21:17
Helicon,

What stage are you at, at CATC???

ADC/Skills????

Perhaps we should exchange funny handshakes in the dinner queue tomorrow (I will be wearing a blue tie!!!!!!)

[This message has been edited by Bright-Ling (edited 12 June 2000).]

Mr Chips
13th Jun 2000, 00:15
Goldfish - Hi!

I must point out that we DO have a training plan for AC, it is in a folder marked "AC Training Plan" It is not however SRG approved - because we are going to NERC any day now it was not deemed necessary. All training does adhere to this plan - I thionk that you are currently on a course in Section 8!!

Good luck

Chips

helicon
13th Jun 2000, 03:16
Bright-Ling>> I'm not currently at the college at all. That should tell you what course I'm on :) Flying training.

But we have already been asked what discipline we are interested in in our head of studies interviews.

What course are you on?

Roger, Goldfish, cheers for the info.

[This message has been edited by helicon (edited 12 June 2000).]

Goldfish Watcher
13th Jun 2000, 18:06
Mr Chips,

I stand corrected and will seek out the aforementioned document post haste!!! :)

Goldfish

Bright-Ling
13th Jun 2000, 21:05
Helicon - Well..... does that make you from the RN or the RAF?!?!?!? Me thinks that you are EGDY or perhaps EGUB....... any more clues!?!?

By the way - I am not at the college at the moment!

[This message has been edited by Bright-Ling (edited 13 June 2000).]

Bright-Ling
15th Jun 2000, 18:19
Helicon.......don't worry - I am NOT an instructor!!!!! Left the college in the last 18 months, that's all!

Enjoy yr flying! Are you in EGHH/EGTB/EGFF?

What are you going to do.......Area/Approach?

18th Jun 2000, 22:16
You may be pleased (or not) to know that all of course 109 have just been posted to LATCC as well....

Goldfish Watcher
19th Jun 2000, 00:20
Now there's a surprise!

more people to join the training queue ....

Goldfish