PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: dead, dieing and old GPS Units

WelshFlyer
14th Oct 2004, 19:49
I'm pretty good at repairing hi tech stuff like this and I have a lot of spare parts.

I'm willing to pay up to £25 for nonfunctional GPS units. Any age, condition or obselescence.

WF.

DubTrub
14th Oct 2004, 21:29
Why not offer a repair service then?

WelshFlyer
14th Oct 2004, 23:32
Would there be a demand?

I'm pretty sure if I fix up dead GPS units I could re-sell them - no-one wants broken ones, but would people acctually want their old boxes repairing?

WF.

IO540
15th Oct 2004, 07:00
The problem with "old" GPS receivers is that the software is usually naff.

Most of the anecdotal evidence of GPSs showing one miles off position, without any sort of warning, are related to the ~ 10 year old designs like the Garmin 195 for example.

Hairyplane
15th Oct 2004, 13:08
If you come across any old Garmin 100's - these are a cracking bit of kit and I'd have one off you!

A cinch to enter your own waypoints - who needs a database (says me wth a 430 and a 420 in my Robin.....!)

HP

High Wing Drifter
15th Oct 2004, 13:36
Most of the anecdotal evidence of GPSs showing one miles off position, without any sort of warning, are related to the ~ 10 year old designs like the Garmin 195 for example.
And the Skymap!! (see other thread).

ozplane
15th Oct 2004, 14:28
I agree with you Hairy, the Garmin 100 is a really good simple piece of kit and seems to be the GPS of choice on a lot of the warbirds at Duxford. My is so old it's actually a Pronav (before it became Garmin) but is still dead reliableand those nice people at IAE manged to source a rechargeable battery pack for it, even though the Garmin web-site says it's no longer supported. No bells and whistles but ideal to cross check the map-reading. So mine's not for sale!

Penguina
15th Oct 2004, 16:07
Would there be a demand?

You'd be in august company! Richard Feynmann used to fix radios about town at some tender age, didn't he? Maybe you're the modern equivalent! :)

IO540
15th Oct 2004, 16:39
I have a Skymap and have never had a problem, in about 100 hours that I used it as primary nav.

pistongone
16th Oct 2004, 12:54
i have an icom a33 surplus to requierments,any offers?

WelshFlyer
16th Oct 2004, 16:29
What exactly is it - Icom sugsts it's some kind of transciever.

What condition is it in - yes I'm probably interested.

WF.

BRL
16th Oct 2004, 16:32
........... and I take it pprune gets a cut of your earnings then? ;)

WelshFlyer
16th Oct 2004, 17:28
........... and I take it pprune gets a cut of your earnings then?

Why not, I waste enough bandwidth on this site!

WF.

VP959
16th Oct 2004, 20:23
Out of interest, what's an old GPS100, with well out of date database, two aviation rack mount kits (used) assorted bits of wiring loom, an external Garmin blade antenna, an internal antenna and the mains power unit (UK spec) worth?

The unit works OK, but the battery is dead.

If these things are sought after I may well dig mine out of the cupboard where it's lain for the past few years and flog it.

WelshFlyer
17th Oct 2004, 02:37
I'd give you about £30 for it.

Having said that, I can make up a new battery pack for you so you could sell it to someone else for more...

I can make up battery packs for about £20.

WF.

chrisN
17th Oct 2004, 23:44
I sold a Garmin GPS 100 on eBAY for £78 earlier this year. On the other hand, if only one person wants to buy something, it can go very cheaply, as something else I sold did.

Might be worth looking to see if any more come up, in Pilot's gear and/or instruments.

Chris N.

VP959
18th Oct 2004, 21:21
Thanks for the info folks. I seem to recall that the whole caboodle cost well over a grand; IIRC the aviation racks alone(with data interface) were a few hundred quid each, and the blade antenna wasn't exactly cheap.

If the whole lot's only worth £30 - £80, then I reckon I'll just wait until I acquire something that needs a panel mount GPS and plonk it in.

The thing had the advantage of being dead easy to use, from what I remember, and always seemed reliable as well. I particularly liked the fact that having lots of buttons meant that one didn't have to faff about with trying to do a zillion functions via a daft rocker switch.............

yakyakyakyak
18th Feb 2005, 09:18
does any one know how to contact welshflyer...?

i sent him my gps111 last year for a minor repair and hav'nt heard a dicky bird since...!

if a member knows him or can contact him please suggest he responds to my e mails /pm's at his earliest convenience !!

flying season is looming and i need it..

regards
yyyy

yakyakyakyak
10th Feb 2006, 08:47
does any one know how to contact welshflyer...?
i sent him my gps111 last year for a minor repair and hav'nt heard a dicky bird since...!
if a member knows him or can contact him please suggest he responds to my e mails /pm's at his earliest convenience !!
flying season is looming and i need it..
regards
yyyy
one year on still no gps111 :*