PDA

View Full Version : Clanking A330's

reverserunlocked
14th Oct 2004, 14:17
Just came back from MCT on one of GF's A330's. Are all A330's that clanky when taxying? I was in row 33, pretty much over the wheel well, and everytime we braked or slowed, there was a clanking sound akin to a hammer on metal? Didn't bother me, but it made the missus comment....

RU

Old Smokey
15th Oct 2004, 00:16
It's the brakes.

Messrs. PPrune and Company,
We really do need that forum "Strange Airbus Noises and other things that go bump in the night"

Vibrations after lift-off, French dogs barking at push-back....the list goes on.

Notso Fantastic
16th Oct 2004, 09:56
Even the 747 has a snorting rhinoceros fighting an elephant in the hold when it's taxiing. But those Airbus barking dogs in the hold just behind the wing are well weird!

timmcat
16th Oct 2004, 10:25
Whilst we are on the subject of Airbuses - why was the A320 I was paxing on this summer weaving like a good'un down the centreline of the runway on take off? Most disconcerting - felt like the crew were having distinct difficulty keeping the thing in a straight line.

Twas like when you have a really dodgy trolley in Sainsburys.

Seriously, I've never noticed this before - other pax commented too. Wx was fine, just light winds.

Old Smokey
16th Oct 2004, 13:38
See it all the time timmcat, when there's a trainee F/O taking off in a crosswind.

ABSOLUTELY no sarcasm, cheap shots at F/Os etc., I was one once too.

earnest
16th Oct 2004, 14:44
Timmcat

I was flying that one. Couple of noise protestors with banners on the runway. They made a run for it but I got two of the b*****s before V1. Apologies to your wife.

Anti-ice
16th Oct 2004, 16:26
All our A319s and A320s have that barking dog sound too - what on earth is it ? Most strange.

Again, the yawing seems to be endemic in the 319s and 320s - if you sit in what we call the 'death seat' at doors 2 (a jumpseat that swings into the aisle) it swings alarmingly from left to right on approach, by a number of degrees it would seem - any airbus pilot care to comment, as it seems mighty strange..............

Notso Fantastic
16th Oct 2004, 17:55
It's supposed to be 'hydraulic pumps' in the main undercarriage bay! Woof woof- pull the other one. I know my dogs, and them's dogs down there. Bloody Strimmer is underpowered and it's an ingenious French solution (not animal lovers see?) to have a herd of Huskies down there pulling for all they're worth. Weirdest noise.

catchup
16th Oct 2004, 18:44
Normaly I wouldn't tell it to anyone but now as its coming to speach in this forum I've the feeling it's time to do it.
My A300 is also producing some strange sound. To be honest it's the "Klabauterman" who lives in the deepest edge of the electronic compartment. Every time we are doing something which could have been done better he grummels some advice out of the dark.

reverserunlocked
17th Oct 2004, 14:25
You do get a nice smooth landing in an A330 though, I thought. I experienced three in the week I spent in the Gulf, one in AUH, one in MCT and then back at LHR. The AUH one especially was a greaser, very smooth indeed. These days a smooth landing is pretty rare as even a nice touchdown seems to be followed by the inevitable face-in-the-backrest-in-front in the rush to clear the active.

The worst recently was at CWL in a KLM Fokker 100. We floated for a long time and then...WUMF...followed by a crash from the galley.... :\ I've never experienced a greaser in a Fokker, are they a bit of a handful?

Old Smokey
19th Oct 2004, 05:08
earnest,

You only got 2 of the b*****s before V1, aw c'mon, you weren't really trying.

Our sincere thanks anyway, the world is a noticeably quieter place without the constant bleating of those 2 noise protesters!

White Knight
19th Oct 2004, 14:55
On a serious note, I do believe it's various "shuttle valves" that are part of the braking system. On some tail numbers we can even here it from the flightdeck :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

RUDAS
22nd Oct 2004, 09:14
speaking of Airbus noises...Tha A320 has a very alarming tendency to make a sound that can best be described as that of someone trying to start up a 30 year old Datsun with a flat battery when the takeoff flar/slat configuration is set before departure.Have often flown them as a pasasenger and i hear some priceless comments from those seated around me about this.:cool: