PDA

View Full Version : Applying for scholarship - advice sought

WelshFlyer
14th Oct 2004, 01:17
Hi,

I have got a form to apply for a scholarship in aviation and am a bit intimidated by it.

I was wondering if anyone had advice for how to present myself best to the people who (hopefully!) will read the application.

I've got the form filled in, but my psychological barrier is the dreaded 100 word report of why you want and what you'll use the scholarship for.

I've done plenty for General Aviation locally in the last year or so, and I'd like to think I'm a suitable candidate, but if anyone has any ideas on how best to present myself in the 100 words bit, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers,

WF.

Another St Ivian
14th Oct 2004, 09:56
I applied for and got a scholarship from GAPAN last year. Their application form had a similar question. I seem to recall that my spiel was along the lines of what I wanted to do in the long term, how I planned to get there and why I therefore needed the scholarship, or at least how it would help me along the way. I just had a crack at writing why I wanted to fly and why I would like the scholarship. If you start from there and refine it to something coherent and within the word limit you can't be far wrong.

ASI

Penguina
14th Oct 2004, 11:27
I've had a 100% success rate in getting through the first stages of these so far. (We won't talk about subsequent results! Psychometric tests always seem determined I should be a lawyer! As if!!! :( )

What works for me is a combination of:

*making it clear you're passionate by waxing lyrical a bit;

*proving you mean business by detailing what you've done so far, how your plans are coming on and maybe mentioning things that only readers of Flight (or ppruners) will know;

*explaining why you'd be a good STUDENT as well as a good pilot; and

*showing a bit of personality, so they remember you. Mine always stand out because my background's in music and I only got into flying a few years ago. Find something equally unique about yourself, while still being a typical earnest young thing. They're quite posh at GAPAN, so they like earnest young things.

And make sure your English is really good, when you do the final draft.

I always start by thinking about the structure of the thing and then listing points under each heading. Then just write, as nothing is worse than the blank form. Then refine the wording.

Should this be in wannabes, by the way?

Good luck! :ok:

(I'll make it to Caernarfon one day as well!)

Another St Ivian
14th Oct 2004, 14:15
Earnest young thing...pffh!

How's the bursary going, Penguina?

ASI

Penguina
14th Oct 2004, 20:22
Well, you're earnest enough to remember who I am, at least! :O Bursary's not started yet, as I'm waiting for the clocks to go back - thank you for asking! Any day now! :D & you?