PDA

View Full Version : COCKPIT DESIGN - results!

Mark_Hazeldine2
13th Oct 2004, 20:08
Hi, and thank you to anyone who filled in my questionnaire.
I had 135 replies! I thought the least i could do is share some of the results!
There were a few surprises in there.

It seems that a good 60% or so of you want completely glass cockpits in the future.
HUD's were also something a lot of you would like but almost as many weren't bothered!
Almost all of you wanted the same or more info from their avionics.
Nearly half of you voted to keep yokes insted of moving to side or centre sticks.
You gave an integrated GPS system an average of 9/10 for usefulness,
but most of you were only willing to pay $2000-$3000 for one.

Most of you came up with similar wishlists of stuff you'd want in your cockpit in 10 years time.

On the avionics side the votes look like this:

MFDs 24
HUD's 10
Autopilot 9
Highway in the sky 5
AOA indicator 3

GPS 26
TCAS 17
EICAS 8
WX RADAR 6
On screen charts/checklists 5
EGPWS 4
FADEC 3

On the comfort side:
Wider cabin 9
Better seats 8
More storage/cup holders 4
Air con 3

I've not listed the one's that got less than 3 votes. Some clever person put "cocktail cabinet"! I won't bore you with rest. Anyway, i got about 100 e-mail addresses, so expect some more questions soon!
Feel free to comment these results. I'd be interested to know what people think. I get the impression you lot like your toys, but don't really have the money for them. Which is fair enough because some of those things aren't cheap!

Thanks, Mark

P.S. anyone else who thinks they could help with my project give a quick note to [email protected]

J.A.F.O.
14th Oct 2004, 02:56
I certainly come into the like the toys but don't have the cash category.

I thought that it was interesting that the item with the lowest number of votes - 3 for AoA Indicator - is the only one that will actually assist in keeping you in the air.

Penguina
14th Oct 2004, 11:31
Think I missed this. Are you allowed to ask for all of it? :D

Mark_Hazeldine2
14th Oct 2004, 14:24
Yes, but you've gotta be realistic! I'm sure a lot of this stuff will be "affordable" in 10 years but i'm not sure that everything in the above list would be a standard feature. It's hard to tell so far ahead!