View Full Version : Employment in the UK as an ATC Officer

splir
13th Oct 2004, 15:26
Just a question to the members of this forum!

I am an ATC officer from Greece with current Tower, Approach and ACC licences.

I would like to explore potential employment opportunities in the UK and work as a NATS ATC officer. I would like to know if my current licences (ICAO) already held are recognised in the UK and if not what course of action I have to follow in order to become UK-CAA approved.

Thanks for your valuable feedback and advice. :ok:

magicarpet
14th Oct 2004, 15:56
Go to www.caa.co.uk and search for ATSIN No 38, this explains it.

Despite the new regulations, I doubt whether NATS, the UK's main ATS provider, would let anyone from another ATS provider, let alone another European state commence on the job training at a unit without at least a short spell of assessment at the college first. And don't forget that NATS controllers are "mobile" which means you could end up anywhere between Aberdeen and Southampton. Unless you work at Athens of course, in which case you can expect to be sent to Heathrow or the en route centre on the south coast. Who would swap the Mediterranean for Hounslow? Also you can say goodbye to at least one of your ratings. Company policy is rapidly separating aerodrome units from their approach and area colleagues.

Best advice is to phone up and ask!

Spitoon
15th Oct 2004, 21:34
What's it to do with NATS?

niknak
16th Oct 2004, 23:27
You will be required by he UK CAA to undertake an "Assesment of Prior Competence", which requires you to attend a one or two day course to demonstrate your practical, written and oral skills.

It involves, several simulator sessions, at least one oral board, and several written tests.

Depending on your performance and test scores, you will be informed on what is required in order for yo to obtain a UK CAA ATC Licence.

The absolute maximum dispensation from any course is 50% of the course time, although I would not like to join any course half way through and expect to pass it.
However, before you take any course with NATS, you will be required to formally apply for a cadetship, and undertake a further two day selction test.

Additionally, you may be asked by NATS to pay for some or all of your own course fees, with the proviso that if you pass all the courses, you will have your course fees refunded.
You will probably be expected to have to pay for all your own accomodation and subsistance fees.

In doing this, NATS are complying with all European legislation and the principle of a common European licence.

Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that NATS and any other UK ATCO employer, just as the Greek, French or any other European organisation, doesn't have to look any further than it's own back yard for potential ATCO trainees.

CAP670
17th Oct 2004, 07:40
Any controller who holds an ATC Licence that's compatible with the new European Harmonised ATC Licence as detailed in publication ESARR5 is eligible to work in one of the 'participating states'.

You would need to satisfy the National Supervising Authority (in the UK's case, the Civil Aviation Authority's SRG) regarding:

1. ATC Training - this must at least comply with the ESARR5 Common Core Content.
2. Proficiency in Spoken English - I believe this is Oxford Level 5 (based on the required ICAO Standard).
3. Successful completion of any conversion training required to become conversant with national legislation and national procedures, where these differ from the country in which you are currently employed.

These requirements are not UK exclusive and will be applied by any 'participating state' - however, in non English-speaking countries you would also have to demonstrate proficiency in speaking the language of that country in order to be able to efficiently co-ordinate with other controllers and units.

Go to Eurocontrol's website and search for ESARR5 (the requirements document).

Go to the UK CAA's website and search for CAP744 (the UK's defining document that subsumes ESARR5).

Then go to the NATS' website and search for recruitment.

Personally, I can't imagine why you'd want to leave a warm and sunny climate where the wine is cheap and the people friendly, to work in a cold, damp, crowded and expensive place like the UK - fancy a job swop...???

Good luck anyway!

:hmm:

commence now descend
18th Oct 2004, 20:31
Yasou file!
Are you sure you want to come over here? I agree with the comments previously made and further more I think you will find it almost impossible to get a job with NATS.
As I am honoured to be the one and only Greek with a UK ATC license my advise to you would be to think twice before taking the plunge!
If you were lurred by rumours of massive salaries remember that unlike the rest of the world overhere they are talking salaries before tax which means what you actually take home is not a lot more than what you make at the moment over in Athens.
The cost of living is extortionate: 1.40 euro for a litre of petrol!and 18 euros for a small pizza!
Yes I know you are wandering what am I still doing here.
I got here 15 years ago for the sole reason that my wife of 17 years is English and I had strong links with the country.
Further more back then the CAA would allow public exams which means that if you showed up at the college of ATC and you were good enough you get an ADC license and then find someone to give you a job and sponsor you for the rest of the ratings
Unfortunately its all changed these days as you know.
You could still get a job outside NATS and there is a shortage of Radar Controllers but you will have to do the APC cousre at the college and most probably fork a lot of money out for a radar cousre without guarrantee of a job!
I hope I haven't put you off too much but if you want a job swap please let me know!

Quokka
20th Oct 2004, 13:18
Are we able to apply for jobs in ATC in Gibraltar? Or is it military only? Aerodrome or Approach?

Chilli Monster
20th Oct 2004, 13:48
Quokka

Serco have the contract - Aerodrome and Approach Radar.

Quokka
20th Oct 2004, 14:04
Chilli Monster,

Thanks, do you need both or just one?