PDA

View Full Version : How is seniority determind

Turbine Cowboy
13th Oct 2004, 15:12
Hi Yall,

I am in a process of writing a paper regarding the length of the pilot's proffesional life.

I am very interested in knowing how Pilot's Seniority is determind at different airlines.

Please, won't you give your input as far as what kind of system is in place at your airline?

How is seniority determind in one class of new hires ?
How is seniority preserved in case of furlogh?
Is there a difference between the longevity (for pay) and occupational seniority (for captaincy)

Awaiting your responses,

Thanx
TC

Lou Scannon
13th Oct 2004, 15:23
Before you attempt to write a paper, may I suggest that you invest in a spell-checker or a dictionary?

Turbine Cowboy
13th Oct 2004, 15:33
Well, Excuse me.

Thank you for your intelligent input.
my paper, for your information is not in English so how bout I ignor your suggestion?

TC

leander
13th Oct 2004, 15:43
Single list - on the day you join you become the airline's most junior pilot. If there are two (or 20) on the same intake then the numbers are allocated by age or alphabet. The order in which you are originally placed remains the same as your career progresses, so irrespective of the order in which pilots are promoted (or the time gap between promotions) the later joiner remains less 'senior' for whatever purpose 'seniority' is used.

Separate Captain & Co lists - initial bits of the above apply until you get promoted, at which stage you become the airline's most junior captain, and commence your progression up that list. Any subsequent captains are placed below you on that list - even if they joined as co-pilots before you.

LIFO - see MYT thread.

Max Angle
13th Oct 2004, 16:13
Before you attempt to write a paper, may I suggest that you invest in a spell-checker or a dictionary? Yeah, and you might invest in some manners, which unlike a spell checker or dictionary are completely free.:*

The Greaser
13th Oct 2004, 16:19
No seniority system, no pay increments ie. 10 year Captain earns same as 1 year Captain. However we are all issued a staff number based on our date of joining.

Basil
13th Oct 2004, 17:59
1. Join as SO. Time to FO adjusted according to previous experience and performance as SO. You are fixed on pension longevity list by Date of Joining but not accruing seniority for promotion.
2. FO awarded. You are now on seniority list.
3. Company merges with another company. You are now further down seniority list. :(
4. (Many years after 1.) You are promoted to Captain. Good news!! Company operates 'Command bridge' salary structure so you go onto command salary equivalent to years of service rather than bottom of Captains' scale.

Only one of many systems.

p.s. Remote location - what's the language there? ;)

oldebloke
13th Oct 2004, 18:50
Generally it's DATE of hire(starting groundschool)..If in a class,the scholastic standings at the end of course dictate the class seniority(for ever)..Have heard of using AGE of candidates in the class..
Cheers.:ok:

bombshell
13th Oct 2004, 22:10
There are a few variations on how seniority is determined when you start with an airline, and also how it carries through your career.

On the start date, some airlines do seniority in order of past experience or your ability on the initial course with the airline, others by date of birth and some by alphabetical order.

On promotion to Captain, some airlines will have a separate list for "command seniority" where first to command will have the higher seniority, also known as "seniority in rank". Other airlines will just have the same seniority number the whole way through.

To non airline people it may sound like a strange system, but it works! It is important to many of us as we believe that it is the fairest system and helps prevent favouritism for promotion (assuming you have the ability) and aircraft type changes etc. However there are those that do not agree with the system.