PDA

View Full Version : AsA recruiting soon??

S.N.A.F.U
29th May 2000, 15:25
Is it true that AsA will be recruiting ATCOs soon? I have also heard that the behind the scene agreement between DoD and Dept Transport has been crushed. It has also been rumoured that AsA will over-recruit, directly target RAAF joint user experience, tell DoD to go to buggery and then aim to take over at least Darwin, Townsville and perhaps Williamtown TMAs when manning levels plumet.

Can anyone shed some light on these topics?

Wedding Tackle
29th May 2000, 19:31
The site,
http://www.selectnet.au.com/select.html

says quite clearly that "serving ATC officers of the Australian Defence Force are ineligible to apply"

Comments please

[This message has been edited by Wedding Tackle (edited 30 May 2000).]

jjj
30th May 2000, 01:30
Heard the rumour also. There may be a gutting of the approach room but there ain't gunna be any TAAATS put in its place. It will be run from Brisbane TAAATS centre if ASA take it over.

karrank
30th May 2000, 07:28
Not sure they can recruit while handing out redundancies. Tax office gets right narkey with that caper.

------------------
"Cut him off and call him shorty!" - Lorenna Bobbit (Patron Saint of ATC)
------------------

The Bishop
1st Jun 2000, 19:14
Heard a rumour in the confessional that the eligibility caveat referred to by WT above was put on the site to give the RAAF boys and girls a bit of a 'giddiyup' as in get them to pursue some action (resign or question its legality/validity) IF they want a job. The penitent (in between sobs) also reckons that terminal area and tower might be needing some bods for the mid to long term due to age dynamics.

Don't know if the snivelling fool was right or not, he might have been just pi$$ed (caught him in the belltower with the alter wine), but the caveat has appeared from the ether and there is only two to three months to THE RECRUITMENT launch (as in here's a wake up call), as I said, only if the sobbing wretch is to be believed.

RTB RFN
1st Jun 2000, 22:40
I don't know - smacks of discrimination. Aren't we bigger than this? I thought "merit based" was the fairest, cheapest and most efficient way to go.

Comments please hon. Minister/Commissioner.
:rolleyes:

Ausatco
2nd Jun 2000, 15:51
From the bottom of the first page on the website:-

How Do I Apply?

Airservices Australia invites men and women to apply to become Air Traffic Controllers only when an operational need has been identified to train, in order to satisfy future workforce needs.

Currently, no such operational need exists and therefore applications are not being canvassed. However, you are strongly advised to periodically re-visit this site for advice on any change in the recruitment status.

(My emphasis in the quote)

While they are offering redundancies, they are also not recruiting. They may be re-deploying internally, subject to screening, but that's a different matter.

AA

[This message has been edited by Ausatco (edited 02 June 2000).]

duck&weave
2nd Jun 2000, 16:59
What is absurd is that the very Senior members of our AF after 25 plus year careers are the ones that caused the underhanded agreement and then, themselves joined ASA. Hypocrits, liars and self proclamationists in the art of bull****. Your beloved AF will suffer an exodus of ATCO like never seen before due to your incompetence, poodle$%^&ingfactor and god knows whatever else it is you people do in Canberra. ATCO's are far above and beyond responsibilities and pay scale of ADMINOS and SUPPOS.
WATCH THIS SPACE BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KAPTAIN KREMIN
3rd Jun 2000, 06:18
Guess what AUSATCO!

you just aint't in the loop....they're interviewing/recruiting as we speak.

No offense.

"crazy people are only crazy if you don't have their perspective"

[This message has been edited by KAPTAIN KREMIN (edited 03 June 2000).]

Adamastor
8th Jun 2000, 09:37
Kaptain Kremin,

Can I enquire just where and what positions are being recruited?

KAPTAIN KREMIN
11th Jun 2000, 08:52
ADAMASTOR

Sorry for the delay - can't say where exactly but understand interviews were last week and courses start AUG and JAN. That's all I am aware of.

Ausatco
11th Jun 2000, 11:10
KK,

You are right. At the oustation where I work, I am indeed out of the loop http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

On behalf of a friend who is interested in ATC I have checked with Recruiting in Canberra about every 8 weeks for the last year. Each time I ended up speaking with different people, some of whom were taking redundancy themselves, and each time the answer to my questions about when Air Services might be recruiting for ATC were vague, non-specific or in the negative.

I eventually found out (from another source - outside management and the recruiting area!)that there was to be some recruitment from within the ranks of those who faced redundancy in Flight Service, ADSO and TGO areas.

The recruitment you speak of - is that internal or open to the public? If the latter, the recruitment website http://www.selectnet.au.com/select.html does not reflect it. (Not your problem, but perhaps an Air Services HR lurker might like to attend to it.)

AA

The Bishop
12th Jun 2000, 05:21
Ausatco,

The recruitment site opened for about 24 hours on the 5th June, apparently for internal applicants only. Rumour has an 'open' and extensive recruitment campaign opening at the end of the year for courses next year. A friend in the RAAF informs me that the caveat discriminating against defence personnel was removed after someone blew the whistle to a member of federal parliament about the discriminatory nature of such a caveat. The RAAFie also seemed to think that the Defence ATC's would leave in droves given half a chance.

Airservices Australia http://geocities.com/r337m0nk3y/net3/outtahere.gif RAAF

[This message has been edited by The Bishop (edited 13 June 2000).]

Ausatco
12th Jun 2000, 07:38
Thanks Bishop.

AA

P.S. The GIF is excellent! :)

[This message has been edited by Ausatco (edited 13 June 2000).]

The Bishop
13th Jun 2000, 07:13
RAAF Controller: "C'mon AsA recruiting....[ Click here (http://www.dailywav.com/0200hz/clint.wav) ]"

[This message has been edited by The Bishop (edited 13 June 2000).]

Raymond_V
15th Jun 2000, 17:01
AsA has three "off the street" courses recruited but they are waiting in the wings until the staff are required.

Ausatco is right on the money. With the recent decomissioning of Flight Service and staffing effiencies in the TGO and TFDC (ADSO) areas there are internal conversion courses being run as we speak. And yes they have been offering redundancy recently to ATC's due excess staff.

Thats all fact. As far as RAAF recruitment is concerned the rumour I heard only yesterday is that the RAAF and AsA have agreed that AsA won't recruit from the RAAF.

As for taking over Darwin Townsville and Williamtown. Very unlikely although I haven't heard either way. AsA already receives the AvCharges for those areas without having to provide the service. Also the RAAF have only recently spent millions introducing there own automated ATC system, ADATS.

I hear Euro Control is recruiting.

[This message has been edited by Raymond_V (edited 15 June 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Raymond_V (edited 15 June 2000).]

Zarg
17th Jun 2000, 09:50
So, AUSATCO, at which small, provincial outstation do you work with SIX wind analysers??

------------------
Be CAREFUL out there!

Ausatco
17th Jun 2000, 19:08
The one with six wind analysers (plus one that I didn't mention that doesn't work!)

Actually, the one that doesn't work is the one that points into wind :) Now everyone will know where I am!!

AA

375ml
19th Jun 2000, 03:28
Zarg/Ausatco LOL! Outstation haha

Zarg
19th Jun 2000, 18:59
I suppose that Tullamarine is an outstation for Essendon, 375ml??!!

------------------
Be CAREFUL out there!

get'em to heaven & back
20th Jun 2000, 03:46
any chance of a foreigner getting in if vacancies occur? and what chance getting to choose syd or mel?

375ml
21st Jun 2000, 11:44
I guess so Zarg.

Heaven: If you're a Kiwi, Sydney is good. ;) Apart from that, can somebody confirm whether you have to have citizenship or is permanent residence OK? Certainly a working holiday visa is probably out of the question... then you'd have to join the queue and sit an abinitio or ICAO conversion course.