PDA

View Full Version : GCI SVFR/VFR?

Capt Ted Striker
29th May 2000, 15:14
Recently GCI ATC have started to issue VFR clearances, where they used to issue just SVFR ones. Now that appears to make sense to do that on VFR days (obviously)
This begs the question though, why did they previously issue SVFR in VFR conditions?
Also Jersey continue to issue SVFR in VFR conditions.
No real problem, as the service as usual is excellent. Just curious.

U R NumberOne
29th May 2000, 17:29
Not being too familiar with GCI, looking at the charts I can only guess the reason for issuing SVFR clearances was the Channel Islands Control Area which was Class A SFC-FL195 - has this airspace changed catagory or vertical dimensions?

Just a guess.

Flybywyre
29th May 2000, 17:44
SVFR is issued because of airspace classification and not weather conditions. However it is normally only given when an aircraft is in VMC. Another anomaly is that it also given at night....for the same reason, airspace classification.

FBW

Capt Ted Striker
29th May 2000, 19:27
Thanks Guys,
I appreciate the airspace bit.
I just don't understand why Guernsey give VFR one way and Jersey give SVFR on the return.
Perhaps a Channel Island bod can sort out my confusion.

Flybywyre
30th May 2000, 00:53
Capt.Ted Striker.......................

Guernsey are unable to give you a SVFR because the Channel Islands CTR, which is class A airspace, is the responsibility of Jersey. Guernsey CTR is class D airspace and therefore does not require SVFR which is why they give you a VFR clearance. Once you leave Guernsey CTR you must obtain SVFR from Jersey before you can enter class A airspace en-route Jersey (or beyond). It is the same as if you are flying from Lyd to Booker via Fairoaks, once you decide to take off from Fairoaks they would give you a VFR clearance but could not give you a SVFR to cut the corner off, you would have to contact Heathrow Zone ( operated by Thames radar on 119.9) to transit class A airspace.

Hope that makes it a little clearer.......

FBW

Capt Ted Striker
30th May 2000, 11:37
Thanks FBW!
You can always rely on Pprune for an answer.