PDA

View Full Version : 44 gallon/205l drum opener

compressor stall
12th Oct 2004, 01:46
Hi all,

bit of an odd question.

1. how different are 44gallon/205lt drum caps worldwide?
In particular the differences between those supplied from USA, Russia, Europe and Australia?

2. If they are different, is there a universal tool (or instructions on how to make one) that is available.

Cheers

(PS - I know some of the tricks with screwdrivers, pliers etc, it's just that ops where we are going will be streamlined with such a universal beastie).

MeatHunter
12th Oct 2004, 05:25
Try using an axe and a large hammer. Works for me.

Old Smokey
12th Oct 2004, 12:37
Take a piece of flat steel about a metre long, the width just slightly less than the diameter of the bung. Bend the last 5 cm or so at right angles to the main piece, and voila! you have a good leverage to open the bung without scoring or damaging the drum and/or bung.

Now, go to the other end, grind down the width to the size of the small air vent bung, and bend it 90 degrees in the other direction.

It worked well for my grandfather, who handed it down to my father, who handed it down to me, and my son.....buys gas from the bowser.

Tinstaafl
12th Oct 2004, 13:11
Why not just get two longish pieces of steel (~30x1x0.3 cm) & bolt them together into a pivoted X shape but with a longer handle side ie similar to how scissors are pivoted? The business end to taper to a point so it can always engage the cap's lugs. Lumps of angle iron would also work if you ground them down a bit. The angle would help provide structural stiffness.

Then it will adjust to fit just about anything.

Loc-out
12th Oct 2004, 14:04
2 large screw drivers, or 1 large and 1 small. Even an open ended spanner works a treat. All to be used in the correct manner.

You don't need a special tool.

Old Smokey
12th Oct 2004, 14:10
compressor stall,

Apologies for an incomplete response -
is there a universal tool (or instructions on how to make one) that is available.

and, Tinstaafl referred to structural stiffness, and, it will adjust to fit just about anything.

Take thyself to Cyclone in DXB, wherein you will find an excellent cross section of international advisers in respect to universal tools and their relative performance characteristics and structural stiffness. Yep, they will adjust to fit just about anything.

tinpis
12th Oct 2004, 23:33
Open the drum?
Leave it sitting unattended in Arnhem land for 5 minutes.

compressor stall
14th Oct 2004, 04:42
At the end of the day we will end up making something ourselves, or maybe using the pair of pliers/screwdrivers trick.

What I really wanted to know was how US and Russian 44G drums bungs differ so the piece \of metal I weld up will fit them too....

5 minutes? That must be da other side of dat airstrip brudda! :ooh: