PDA

View Full Version : Wide Body Jet Time?!?!

flyboy007
11th Oct 2004, 18:02
Howdy all.

Quick question for those of you in the airlines!!

Would someone with about 1500 hours total time, of which 1200 were wide body multi engine jet time, be in a decent position for employment with an airline? I realise that generally the figure for getting into the RHS on a jet is 2500TT, but given that I have most of my time on jet, as opposed to having lots of hours on lighty's, would that help?? Obviously I would prefer not to go back to a turbo prop etc. Just wondering, any answers appreciated.

Cheers, happy landings.

FB

Spearing Britney
11th Oct 2004, 18:17
While 2500TT may be Virgin's limit I would suggest it is by no means a generally accepted figure. With your sort of hours I would say you are in a very good position for employment, if not on a widebody (other than the one you are rated on) on smaller jets for sure. 1500TT seems to be a figure quite a few contract jobs require, with 500 on type.

Of course relevant type ratings are valuable and may count for more than pure hours...

DC-10 MyTraveller by any chance?

Best of luck job hunting and check your pm's!

Bealzebub
11th Oct 2004, 18:33
Your question doesn't on the face of it make a lot of sense. Presumably if you have 1200 hours of wide body jet experience you would already be working for an airline ? That represents around 2 years experience in most companies. I would have thought with a reasonable level of experience in airline flight operations ( 2 years sounds reasonable) you would be in the running. Of course if an airline stipulates a higher requirement or a more specific requirement that is their right. It may well be a stipulation their insurers impose or a level of experience they require themselves.

In any event you can only apply and see what happens, the worst is they will say no.

flyboy007
11th Oct 2004, 19:43
Bealzebub.

I'm currently employed in world wide ops etc yes, however considering a change of employers if the option is available to me. I'm just trying to get a general opinion of how I might stand, given my slightly unusual quals, or lack of as the case may be. Essentially it would be a shame to burn my bridges if my options for a new job were not good. On the other hand....

Cheers for the reply.
FB

Gin Slinger
12th Oct 2004, 10:59
Why not apply and be damned? The worst thing that can happen is a negative response.

Old Smokey
12th Oct 2004, 12:49
Be careful of the "apply and be damned" approach. If you're rejected on a technicality (lower than nominally required hours in your case) then your name goes to the rejected folder in the HR computer. If you make a later application when you do meet the requirements, you may face an automatic rejection when your name is entered into HR's computer and the 'Rejected' tag is encountered. If pilots are in short supply that week you may be lucky, someone may go and have a second look, but if there is a large ratio of applicants to positions, you'll be bypassed.

Sadly this is no exaggeration, I have been involved with pilot selection, and when faced with 2000 applications for 40 positions, some VERY basic culling goes on.