PDA

View Full Version : Kamakazi Birds

jayteeto
9th Oct 2004, 19:57
I have just had to change my underwear after a night birdstrike at 1000' over aintree racecourse. Blood and guts over the nosecone but no damage, what a bang though!!
My question is... What birds other than owls, fly at night? This week there have been thousands of migrating ducks and geese overhead. Do they night fly?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Oct 2004, 21:03
Do they night fly?

Yep.. also Redshanks, StoneCurlews and other large items which can cause damage. Some smaller birds too, including Redwings and Fieldfares, but I do not know which other species.

lomapaseo
9th Oct 2004, 23:22
Migrating birds typically fly at night and feed and lounge during the day at unfamiliar locations where they can easily see predators.

They can be a big pain at both locations.

henry crun
10th Oct 2004, 08:37
It is thought that adult Godwits migrate from Alaska to New Zealand nonstop.

That is about 11,000kms, so there must be a fair amount of night flying in that trip.

I have also read of geese flying at night during their migration down the west coast of Canada and the USA.

ShyTorque
10th Oct 2004, 10:45
I have seen large Canada Geese formations flying in UK at night, in the moon light, especially at this time of year. Lapwings too.

I also had a heavy bird strike over Victoria harbour during a night casevac, never found out what it was, but the bird was so large it blocked out the cultural lighting and the moon for a split second before it hit, just above the windscreen. :ooh:

alexban
10th Oct 2004, 13:53
maybe some gees with IFR certifications....:)
you've just hit one without TCAS,old stuff...