PDA

View Full Version : Airfield closure .......

PH-UKU
9th Oct 2004, 11:57
Advice anyone, on how to tackle a rather sticky problem at a Local Authority airfield in Scotland ?

This airfield, which just happens to be the only suitable airport (probably in the UK) for getting floatplanes out of the water, onto a ramp, lifted onto a flatbed and then over to the maintenance facility.

Early days yet, but there are at least 3, (possibly five) aircraft that really need this facility.

However .... for various reasons (most IMHO, specious, and all along the lines of 'can't do that .. health + safety .... insurance ... too difficult ..... etc..' rather than.... 'how can we help you?') it has been decreed that access via this ramp is forbidden.

No consultation, nothing. I suspect that someone got wind that we were planning to try this procedure, and rather than think how to help make it work, has just become obstructive.

Now if this was closing down a facility for landplanes there would be an outcry and a period of consultation ......

I should stress that most staff at the airport could not have been more helpful, from ATC to engineers, but it appears their hands are tied. I would have thought a unique facility like this should be developed and encouraged - should that not be part of the airports remit ? - already the engineering facility could be losing 3 annuals and associated 50hr checks ... £20k per annum?

Short of hiring a kamikaze pilot for a clinical strike can anyone suggest ways of solving this irritation.

(Believe me, I feel we have exhausted all possibilities of researching other airfields. The only alternative seems to be helicoptering the aircraft as an underslung load, but at £800ph it really is for a one off operation).

:mad:

Genghis the Engineer
9th Oct 2004, 12:23
I can think of two alternative airfields, although sadly neither very local to you.

(1) Lee on Solent, near Portsmouth has ramps still in place from when it was a Navy establishment testing hovercraft.

(2) Stoke airfield in Kent is sat right next to the old "Medway" seaplane airport. I've heard from the airfield owner that he's been trying to see ways of ressurecting it as a seaplane operating centre.

Both sites, have some degree of maintenance presence and (to me anyway) helpful management. Lee is probably your best bet, just a shame it's about as far as you can get from you whilst staying on the mainland!

Incidentally I'd be very reluctant to hover a rotary over a FW without removing the wings first - just asking for trouble.

G

PH-UKU
9th Oct 2004, 12:39
Been done before with a single Squirrel and few problems. land alongside. attach harness. duct-tape planks and gutter to leading edge to kill lift. carry at 40kts. shortest journey about 1 mile. longest about 25.

Flap40
9th Oct 2004, 16:14
How about fly to Barra when the tide's in and then wait for it to go out? :cool:

There are other options that I can think of if your intention is to haul the aircraft out rather than drive it, eg Portmoak on the banks of Loch Leven. Glasgow has a ramp down to the Black Cart Water for the fire service rescue craft.
Why do you have to take it out of the water at an airfield if it's going to be trailered? There are any number of Lochs with slipways that you could use and what about the seaplane base at Loch Earn???

NorthSouth
25th Nov 2004, 14:49
Oban would be ideal for this but unfortunately (a) no slipway and (b) no engineering!

For the 50hr checks at least, wouldn't it be possible to get the engineers to come to you? E.g. could you land off Troon, moor at the marina there, and get Aircraft Engineers to send a man from Prestwick? Or are you not insured for salt water?

Does Langford Lodge have a slipway? Belfast City? Enniskillen (just re-opened)? Scotney Court in Kent, with engineers travelling down the road from Lydd? Shoreham Harbour (engineers from Shoreham)? Thorney Island (engineers from Goodwood)?

NS

RPMcMurphy
25th Nov 2004, 17:10
What about Sullom Voe? Loads of Catalinas and Sunderlands there in the war. Close to the slip is the recently vacated Bond Helicopters hangar which might be able to accept a small floatplane. Quite a few resident CAA qualified engineers in the area. Maybe a bit too far north though.