PDA

View Full Version : Engine life constraints

ozplane
8th Oct 2004, 17:17
Overheard a bit of hangar chat the other night which seemed a bit disturbing to say the least. Apparently EASA in their wisdom are intending to cancel the CAA "on condition" life on the typical GA engines, Lycomings and Continentals etc. The life will be as determined by the manufacturer e.g. "2400 engine hours or 12 calendar years". The fact that some operators get upwards of 4000 hrs on their engines I can see a bit of a debate going on here. Do any of the engineers on the forum have the latest?

A and C
9th Oct 2004, 17:21
I have seen nothing in writing at the moment but plenty of rumours are doing the rounds.

I think that it is high time that the GA industry got some statistics together to prove that operating "on condition" is safe then when the desk bound burocratic idiots at EASA try this one on we make them justify the decision on safety grounds.

If they can't make the saftey case stick then make a big political fuss and take them to court for mismanagement.

Cabotage Kid
9th Oct 2004, 18:23
An impression I have is that of the records of engine failure I seem to have come across, most happened shortly after some work had been done on them.

dmjw01
11th Oct 2004, 12:05
This thread (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9315) on another forum appears to answer your question. Let's all hope this is true!

ozplane
11th Oct 2004, 16:20
Thanks for that. I must have got one of the last CAA C of As, dated 21st Sept, so I hope that keeps me out of EASA's clutches till 2007. Either way it's going to be interesting to see how Lycoming and Continenetal cope with supplying new engines if EASA don't allow extensions

LowNSlow
11th Oct 2004, 19:35
If the time limit isn't waived for private flyers then my 1946 Cirrus Minor will only be useful as a boat anchor......

A half baked decision to keep the time limit would effectively ground at least 75% (I'd imagine) of the UK and Europe wide GA fleet. Even if it's 12 years from rebuild rather than 12 years from original manufacture there will still be a huge impact.