View Full Version : Biman RWY Excursion

8th Oct 2004, 16:51
Orignal Report - DELETED

SPOTTY M is right, the initial report I posted was from an older incident, however the pictures below appear to correspond to the latest one.

Italian news showed the aircraft lying in a pronounced nose down attitude in a deep ditch. Looks expensive...

8th Oct 2004, 17:04
It's amazing the crew survived this one. Strong radome I guess.



Mr @ Spotty M
8th Oct 2004, 17:26
I some how think this was not the aircraft in the accident, or the pax figure is incorrect.

9th Oct 2004, 17:17
I think you'll find that IS the aircraft, as described to me here in Dhaka.

Both pilots were got out with broken bones, told skipper was cut out of flight deck.

I'm told the skipper is one of Biman's female pilots, not enough information yet.

I'll find out more tomorrow when I'm flying.

No serious injuries, I was told about 70-80 on board, but needs confirmation.

VERY fortunate it wasn't more serious by the look of it.

Ian Corrigible
9th Oct 2004, 20:44
More details, including pilot's name, care of Auntie Beeb:

Fokker excursion (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3726534.stm)


9th Oct 2004, 23:05
The pilot was named as Shahana Akhtar and her cockpit passenger was Abdul Muyeed Chowdhury Are these things single pilot in Bangladesh?

9th Oct 2004, 23:21
2 cockpit passengers, standard.

10th Oct 2004, 00:46
Local Press Report

The Biman Bangladesh Airlines aircraft, which remains stuck in mud across a canal near Osmani International Airport in Sylhet will be removed after assessment of damages by the representatives of insurance company concerned.

Sources at the Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (CAAB) said the insurance company representatives would arrive in Dhaka in a couple of days from London to assess the damages caused to the BG-601 Fokker F-28 aircraft after skidding off the runway on Friday morning. Steps would be taken to rescue the aircraft after the assessment by insurance company representatives.

The CAAB and Biman Bangladesh Airlines have already constituted two separate committees to find out whether the wrong landing by pilot or low visibility due to inclement weather were responsible behind the accident.

Meanwhile, a deadlock situation, created over a comment of State Minister for Civil Aviation and Tourism Mir Mohammad Nasiruddin, came to end after fruitful talks between the Biman authorities and Bangladesh Airlines Pilot Association (BAPA) yesterday.

Protesting the reported remark of Nasiruddin, the pilots belonging to BAPA decided to refrain from working more than their fixed schedule unless the State Minister withdrew his remark. It is learnt that Mir Nasir told reporters in Chittagong that pilot Shahana was responsible for the F-28 accident. However, the State Minister yesterday denied of making that remark.

Instead, he said in a clarification that "the specific reasons of the accident could only be determined after investigation and an inquiry committee headed by CAAB chairman was formed instantly."

However, the remark that was published in a section of newspapers yesterday, created strong resentment in BAPA. As a result, a deadlock situation was created which continued as many as 10 hours. During the time, almost all the international and domestic flights of Biman were delayed.

In the afternoon, Biman Managing Director held talks with BAPA leaders at the Biman headquarters, where the MD told them that the State Minister withdrew his remark. Later, the BAPA joined the works.

The F-28 aircraft that met accident in Sylhet on Friday, was added to the fleet of Biman on September 30, 1991, skidded 150 off the runway after landing at the airport and stuck in mud of a canal with its nose entering five feet deep into the bank.

Earlier, the F-28 aircraft left Zia International Airport at 08.46am on Friday for Sylhet with 82 passengers, two cabin crews and the First Officer. After the flight took off, the Captain and the First Officer invited former advisor to Caretaker Government and Executive Director of BRAC to sit beside them at the cockpit. Accordingly, Muyeed Chowdhury did so.

But, the Biman officials said none, except the pilot and co-pilot is allowed to sit at the cockpit. "It is being investigated why it had happened," one of the officials said.

Muyeed Chowdhury, also a former secretary to the government, was badly injured in the accident. Immediately after the accident, Civil Aviation Secretary and former acting managing director of Biman Akhtar Hossain Khan and other officials rushed to the Biman head office in the city.

Khan told newsmen that the aircraft took off from Dhaka as usual. There was inclement weather, including rains when it reached the Osmani International Airport in Sylhet. "As a result, there was low visibility and we have learnt in our preliminary investigation that the low visibility was the reason behind the accident," he said.

The Civil Aviation Secretary said those who were responsible to look into the technical matters, they had already gone to Sylhet. "They will carry out necessary investigation. It's time consuming."

He, however, said Biman still has four F-28s in its fleet. "We hope that Biman would be able to maintain its flight schedule and provide services to passengers."

The Biman authorities said yesterday that the aircraft was unlikely to be able to fly soon although all of its passengers on board miraculously survived.

Though the aircraft is insured, the Biman authorities, however, could not tell how much money would require to repair it. They said losses due to the damages would be very high.

There are five F-28s in the Biman's fleet. These aircraft, including the one that met accident in Sylhet on Friday, were bought in 1981. Since these aircraft have become older and do not have the capability to fly at high altitude, these are operated by Biman on regional and domestic routes. In regional routes, the F-28s are operated on Kolkata, Kathmandu and Bangkok.

With the accident on Friday, the F-28 aircraft have so far met accident twice. In 1998, the pilot of a F-28 aircraft fell into a canal in Sylhet. Miraculously, none was killed in that accident.

Copyright 2003 by The New Nation

It's ALL politics this part of the world chaps. Loose tongue costs jobs (to steal a line from WWII and adapt it for life here).

10th Oct 2004, 06:22
Interesting reading (http://www.thedailystar.net/2004/10/10/d4101001022.htm) reproduced below

Cause of F28 crash not found yet
Authorities wait for insurance company's visit before starting recovery work
Staff Correspondent

The probe committees are yet to find the cause of Friday's plane crash at Sylhet airport.
The pilots however believe poor condition of the runway might have caused the accident in which all 83 passengers and crew miraculously escaped.

The F28 aircraft of Biman Bangladesh Airlines remains at the crash site under armed police guard. Civil aviation officials said the authorities would resume work to recover it after the visit of insurance company officials.

"We are waiting for the insurance company officials' visit, which may take few more days," said an official of Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (Caab).

The probe committee of civil aviation ministry headed by Caab Chairman Zahed Quddus has started probing into the crash while Biman's internal probe committee headed by its chief of flight safety is yet to launch investigation.

The three-member Caab inquiry team, which went to Sylhet last night, talked to the officials and staff of the control tower at Sylhet airport and collected flight records and documents related to the landing system.

Meanwhile, Biman pilots joined duty yesterday afternoon several hours after they had refused to fly domestic and regional flights in protest against a reported comment by state minister for civil aviation on Friday's plane crash.

Sources said they called off the work stoppage following the minister's affirmation that he did not put blame on pilots for the crash while talking to electronic media.

All the domestic flights scheduled in the morning were shifted to afternoon causing an average delay of eight hours in the wake of the wildcat strike called by Bangladesh Airline Pilots' Association (Bapa).

In a telephonic conversation with the media at Biman office in the afternoon State Minister Civil Aviation and Tourism Mir Mohammad Nasiruddin, who was in Chittagong, retracted his comment and urged the pilots to resume works.

Nasiruddin said he did not hold the pilots responsible for the crash, which injured 30 including captain and a first officer and a former advisor to the caretaker government.

"The reason of the crash will only be available after the probe committee report," he said.

Earlier, the pilots at a press briefing in Dhaka said the condition of runway of Sylhet airport is poor. The runway developed depression alongside the main wheel track and it gets waterlogged even after a little rain.

The runway went under waist-deep water during recent floods that caused serious damage but it was not repaired, the pilots said.

A Caab official however denied the allegation that faulty condition of runway had caused the plane crash. He said flight operation has been going on at the Osmani International Airport without any trouble.

Seriously injured Abdul Muyeed Chowdhury, executive director of Brac, and Captain Shahana Begum were still at the Combined Military Hospital while first officer Abu Safa was released yesterday afternoon.

Doctors said Captain Shahana was improving fast but still under observation.

Muyeed Chowdhury, who sustained injury in leg, hand, head, had an operation in left hand yesterday. Doctors said blood circulation and pressure was good. But due to his old age, he was in under close observation.

Two international flights of Biman were delayed yesterday after pilots detected technical faults in the aircraft after take-off from Zia International Airport (ZIA).

Biman's Jeddah-bound flight was delayed by nine hours as pilots were forced to land the DC10 aircraft after its take-off from ZIA.

Sources said the pilots detected technical faults after the flight took off at 3:45am. But they could not land the aircraft as it required dumping of fuel to lose its weight. DC10 planes have to dump fuel in case of landing soon after take-off.

As the fuel dumping gear was not working, the pilots flied around Dhaka sky for four hours to exhaust most of the fuel and landed at 7:00am. After checking by ground engineers, the plane finally took off at 1:00pm.

The BG 091 flight to Kolkata took off from ZIA at 10:39am and the pilots brought it back to the airport after they heard unusual sound in the aircraft. After handling by engineers, the Airbus finally took off at 12:33pm. )

Would have concern about the safety aspect of this airline considering the fact that fuel could not be dumped in a seperate incident :=

12th Oct 2004, 05:33

Whilst I can understand your assertion about safety standards, I'm not really qualified to comment on all the incidents, despite being a lecturer in Flight Safety matters in another life.

I CAN comment about the DC10 incident as I was the operating flight engineer when the failure occurred.

At about 50 feet after take off the whole of #2 Hydraulic system dumped overboard.

We cleaned up the gear as it was already in transit. We then climbed away keeping the rest of our configuration. #2 system feeds (amongst other stuff) half the flaps.

We climbed to FL100 before considering our options, which were to continue to Jeddah, or to dump to max landing weight and return to Dhaka (or I suppose to land overweight with the attendant almost certain tyre deflation/brake overheat or fire and possible passenger evacuation - a non starter).

The aircraft would have been nailed to the ground in Jeddah therefore the decision was to dump to landing weight (some 54 tonnes at that time) and land for rectification.

I then carried out the Dump drill from the checklist (twice in fact) and was rewarded by no movement on the gauges. A visual check by the cabin crew confirmed that no dumping was happening from the left wing and only a trickle came from the right dump mast.

This was followed by both dump valve c/bs tripping - ie the valves had failed in closed/ almost closed position despite correct indications.

Note. In 30+ years I have dumped about 5 times - all in the military and some of that was AAR. Commercially I have never dumped fuel - that's how often this system is used (I might be wrong but I think these valves are only checked on a D Check).

This was unfortunate. We then had one choice, to burn off fuel to landing weight. When sufficient speed margin was available, we put the slats back out, went for max airbrake and dropped the gear. We descended to FL060 (Safety alt 2000) to increase the fuel flow.

Most of the pax were sleeping anyway but were fed before landing. After 4.00 flight or so we landed safely at max landing weight and didn't even heat the brakes above 200C.

I have flown with pilots of all nationalities and abilities and I must point out that I was proud to be on this particular flight deck. The whole incident was handled in a thoroughly professional manner with cool, sensible and well considered decisions by the captain and attentive and accurate flying by the copilot.

I would have no hesitation whatsoever in flying with this airline on the DC10 (indeed that's what I do for a living). As in all airlines there are people with less CRM and ability than was displayed on this flight but that is a factor of employing human beings and has little to do with race, creed, religion or anything else that makes us different from one another.

As regards the F28 incident, it WAS an overrun. After hospital scans the pilots whilst bruised had no broken bones and the captain was in fact injured on the head by the rescuers cutting her out.

As for the cause, that is still to be determined but in the company there has been concern with the braking action of that particular runway especially in the wet.

I propose to wait and see.

Hope that clarifies one or two points.

Edited phor spellin

Lou Scannon
13th Oct 2004, 15:41
Thanks to Dengue Dude for such a clear explanation of the incident. (If he can operate as well as he writes he must be pretty sharp!)

I would very much confirm his remarks about his fellow crew-members in Biman. I had the pleasure of operating the '10 with them nearly twenty years ago and thoroughly enjoyed their company on the flight deck and in the hotels.

I don't think that I ever met the crew of the other aircraft, but my thoughts are very much with them at this time.

14th Oct 2004, 14:01
The problem with the F28 is that its engines have no reverse thrust, not helpful when the runway is wet and short. :uhoh:

22nd Oct 2004, 16:48
Chatting to two ex-pat F28 captains with Biman today, another little snippet came out.

The engines ran for nearly 3 hours after the incident as the controls from the flight deck were disrupted.

It'll make an interesting report when it comes out.

When you consider the evacuation aspects of engines still running it blows your mind.

Seems to me that the aircraft's nose down attitude probably SAVED lives as passengers would have evacuated towards a running engine's intake.