View Full Version : RT discipline

Fox in sox
10th Aug 1999, 05:10
I’m sorry but this is a bit of a whinge but with serious implications.

There are times when the standard of RT displayed from both sides of the radio is well below what it should be.

I find it hard to believe that crews, especially those familiar with busy environments, cannot tell when a frequency is busy. I therefore wonder why we get so many cross transmissions and people seemingly deliberately stamping on the end of someone else’s transmission. 9 times out of 10 it just results in a readback having to be repeated and normally doesn’t get you noticed anyway because all we get is indecipherable squeal. I realise that there are times when what has to be said needs saying now but if it’s just a request for push back or an ‘any chance of higher?’ surely it can wait. This does not mean that in an emergency you shouldn’t use any means necessary to make yourselves heard but if it’s just to decide whether to get the coffee out or not, surely it can wait. One day it could be you with something really important to say getting stamped on, and trust me it has happened.

As you probably already know level busts have been the big thing lately. This is not quite a level bust issue but close. Can some one tell me why some people having reported vacating a level then spend the next minute, or more sometimes, within 100 feet of it? Don’t forget if you report out of a level we can climb below or drop on top. Needless to say if you are still there it causes a problem and has done very often. So please don’t report ‘out of’ until you really are. The same goes for runways but with more serious implications. Vacated means exactly that, not ‘I’m going to take the next one’ or nearly vacated. You are not always in view and therefore we may have to take your word for it.

Having had a moan at you drivers now it’s our turn. I am actually appalled by the amount of controllers I hear shouting at and being sarcastic toward aircrew. Just because someone has misinterpreted what was said or simply not understood does not open hunting season on him or her. Apart from anything else it makes no difference to the situation, if anything it makes it worse. The time spent giving out tongue-lashings could be better spent solving the problem. Plus I have a theory that the regulars recognise our voices, like we do theirs, and therefore will remember who was the guy that helped them out or who just gave them grief. One day you might need their help to get you out of a jam and maybe paperwork!! Exactly the same goes for inter controller relations. Too many people try to blame someone else before sorting out the problem. Think priorities. Maybe if the stress today is so bad you should have stayed home. I am quite proud of the fact that I have never bawled anyone out and try to instil this in the new blood, because I don’t see how it can ever help.

Having said all that, idle chatter, of which we are all guilty of, is quite prevalent during quiet periods but sometimes, even when busy, can be good to take the tension out of what could otherwise be stressful moments for all concerned. Although it is well and truly against the rules I believe that it has a place. If we see each other as friends or allies maybe we can make the system work better. Trust me, us ATCOs don’t really hate aeroplanes and their crews. Apparently the world in which we all work is stressful enough without controllers or crews, making it any worse. How about we really try to work together and stop seeing each other as the enemy?

Nah forget that last bit, that’ll never work.

Sorry but I posted this on two boards because I didn’t think pilots would read the ATCO one.

Pointer
13th Aug 1999, 17:34
Well "Fox in sox" That's what i call getting things off your chest!

And to give you a fair reply from a driver; I do agree with what you say on the impatience of a lot of fellow drivers, some switch the freq and key the mike at the same time wich does not constitute good manners (first listening a second or two would help)But as you know a lot of times you guy's send a couple of us guy's(and doll's,sorry)at the same time to the next freq. and it just happens that we step on each other.

On the other hand, to limit the talk on a freq there are rules. One of these rules is for instance; report the atis and QNH received up on contact. It suprices me that 9 out of 10 times when i submit this on first contact, the controller later transmits the same info, wich gets a bit anoying if you get in and out of londen 3times a day.

But overall im very pleased and impressed with most of you ground hogs so keep smiling.

"Talk" to you later ! (p.s. you work the londen area?)

Fox in sox
14th Aug 1999, 04:16
Pointer,

Yes unfortunately i work the in the London area and yes I am guilty of at times transferring two of you together, sorry what can i say to that one?

As for the QNH thing, I'm not a big fan of it because i must admit i expect most of you cross check QNH against the rest of your toys and will notice if the airfield has jumped by 30' in one direction or another. Apart from that aircraft in the TMA fly on departure field QNH and so can vary by a couple of Mb anyway.

If you are asked the same thing twice it maybe because we had to wade through 60 flightplans to find yours and so missed it first time round, sorry

;-)) (always smiling)

Pointer
14th Aug 1999, 19:03
Fox,

As you mighthave noticed i had this posted on the other forum too (when i saw that there were more reply's there. i thought this might be a dead end.

Well i gues in the big picture of things we all work together for the same thing but in the close comfort of our little office we might have some hidden agenda points. (like passengers and cabin crew(walking steep deck angles gives them ugly legs and us ugly looks)

Next time you might be looking for that painter in the sky. i'll be talking to you.
pointer

Captain R. Sole
16th Aug 1999, 15:50
When the current read-backs of everything was introduced here in Oz a couple of years back, we also had to read back the Atis & QNH, however this only lasted for about 2 weeks. Why on earth does one need to read back the QNH after the Atis when it is a part of the Atis anyway? Since then, we only need to read back the QNH if that is issued seperate to the Atis. I am surprised to read that you need to do this over in your neck of the skies.

Pointer
17th Aug 1999, 16:38
Captain R. Sole

It makes me wonder to but since there are about six International airports in close range there might be a reason to it? I'm just guesing. There is also a frequent rwy change on som airports there so a change of atis might be significant.

But i agree that readback of the atis and QNH is a bit overdunn

Fox in sox
18th Aug 1999, 04:46
For any one interested.

Outbound from UK TMA airfields it has been decreed by those wonderful people at SRG (Safety Regulation Group) that all outbound aircraft should be issued, prior to departure, with the correct airfield QNH. Allegedly this was done to help with the problem of level busts but I myself don't see exactly how it is supposed to work. This goes back to the "stay on departure airfield QNH" thing within the TMA and also seeing as within 200' is considered to have reached a level then how can 30' really make a difference when we look at level busts. I would really like to know how may aircrew are worried about that last 30' when it comes to separation. We are talkin 3% here after all.

Inbound wise is slightly diferent because your average Approach Controller does not want his 'friends' to hit the ground 30' before they expected it and maybe that is why you have to put up with a few too many QNH readbacks. Also our QNH displays change almost immediately and even using our superhuman powers we can't always remember the last ATIS letter and it's associated QNH. As Pointer said there are at least 6 airfields under the London TMA and maybe another 6 that have the odd airways departure or arrival and even Carol Vorderman don't know all their QNHs.

All said and done it would seem that outbound QNH is a bit pedantic but inbound QNH could be the difference between seeing the runway and a needless missed approach or worse.

I don't think i should attempt to comment on the 20 deg thing because i wasn't there and it's not my airspace.

I might have a few stupid ideas though!

There you go, I've had my say again and i hope it makes some sense. If it doesn't, then bin it, but 'Trust me' it was meant in good faith.

Stay happy,
Fox

Captain R. Sole
19th Aug 1999, 06:52
Pointer & Fox....

Thanks for that. I did not realize how many airports you have operating under London TMA. That is amazing compared to here in Oz. No where near that at any of our places. It is always good to learn something new and how it is done on the other side of the globe in much bigger and busier airspace.

Pointer
19th Aug 1999, 14:31
Captain R. Sole

I'm not familliar with the airspace struktures on your side of the ball(are slip indicators installed upside down there?)but in terms of size you probably hold the trophy. i couldn't figure any body with more room to fill.

I'm looking forward to visiting your turf some day.

where are you based? east or west? Igues your in uncontroled airspace most of the time?

Captain R. Sole
19th Aug 1999, 18:09
Pointer....

You could be forgiven for thinking that our slip indicators are upside down. Our airspace structure are as follows:
Class C: Oceanic controlled airspace between FL245 & FL460 & controlled airspace over Australian continent at & below FL600, exludes Class D & E or GAAP (mentioned below)
Class D: Control zones of defined dimensions & associated control area steps, generally below 4,500 ft around designated airports.
Class E: Controlled airspace within east coast radar coverage between Canberra & Grafton (Northern New South Wales) between 8,500 & FL125.
GAAP: General Aviation Aerodrome Procedures - control zones where special procedures apply for high density GA aircraft activity.

That is it in a nutshell. I fly out of Sydney, Australia which is on the east coast and I am mainly in controlled airspace - that is Class D & E and occasionally C. Sydney TMA has only Bankstown & Camden which are both GAAPs and Hoxton Park which is General Aviation airport as well but not controlled. This would be the biggest in Oz. Compared to the UK, this is nothing. You would surprised how much ATC are hamstrung here to handle only a little amount of traffic compared to where you are from. When you come, arrive between October & March which are the warmer months and bring your swimmers. Great beaches.
Hope this has been a help to you.
Regards.

New Driver
22nd Aug 1999, 18:37
I once did a test to see what sort of time lag there was between transmission and rec.. with two boxes i was shocked to see that one one box the transmission might just finish while on the other the same transmission might just be starting......

any ideas?? get two scanners and see for your self..!!