PDA

View Full Version : Doing an IR part time?

smithgd
7th Oct 2004, 19:26
There are plentry of IR courses available that are done on a full time basis, what about doing it part time, say while still working full time? Is there anywhere in the UK to do that?

What would be ideal is to replace the "6 week full time course" with flying/sim'ing at weekends then do a 2 or 3 week intensive full time runup to the IRT. (The 2/3 weeks can be covered by holidays but the 5/6 weeks can't!)

Anyone had experience of doing this?

Thanks
smithgd

PS. Any reductions on the hours if you have an IMC?

S-Works
7th Oct 2004, 20:25
Atlantic flight training do it part time. No deduction for IMC but 40hrs deduction for FAA IR which is what I am converting.

Justiciar
7th Oct 2004, 20:32
I spoke to PAT in Bournemouth about this and they can do it, though don't advise splitting it into too many chunks. I think they said you could split the FNTP stuff but should really do the flying in one continuous period, but best speak to them as it was a while ago.

54.98N
7th Oct 2004, 21:14
Go to the US and get your FAA single engine IR (doesn't need to be a multi IR). Your existing IMC hours will be credited towards the 40 hours required for the FAA IR, but you must do a minimum of 15 hours.

When you come back to the ICAO IR to JAA IR conversion - minimum of 15 hours (although most people take longer unless you're very experienced).

For further info check out LASORS and the FAA FAR-AIM references.

Bit cheaper and you get to fly in the US for a bit. This is the route i've taken.

This is a less time consuming route and can be done in "chunks". I did my FAA IR (15 hours) in 6 days so it can be done quickly.

rustle
7th Oct 2004, 21:27
I did mine part time at Bournemouth Flying Club. I think they now only do IRs at their commercial division - but I may be wrong.

Several weekends (both days) then a final intensive week.

Would suggest the last few sessions, the 170A and the CAAFU flight test are done in the same week if possible.

CAAFU only do weekdays AFAIK, so some last minute practice Mon-Tue, 170A on Wednesday, CAAFU on Thursday, beers on Friday is a good plan :)

smithgd
8th Oct 2004, 16:03
54.98N
I did my PPL in USA and found quite a few differencies on my return to UK, how did you find the 15hrs IR training in UK? Was is easy to pick up the UK way of doing things? What were the differencies you found between the IFR flying in USA and the IFR flying here?

Cheers
smithgd

PS. Does ALL IFR time count towards the FAA IR or just IMC rating hours? I have 25hrs IFR so do I only have to do the 15hrs with a FI? (Assuming I'm good enough to pass with min hrs!)

smithgd
8th Oct 2004, 19:13
54.98N..... Just checked out the FAA IR thing, I assume the Part 61 is the one you referred to?

smithgd

Wrong Stuff
12th Oct 2004, 12:26
I did mine at weekends also. Didn't find any real problems doing it that way. Ended up doing about 90 minutes over the minimum.

The biggest problem was that clocking up 50-odd hours only at weekends simply takes quite a long time. I was also doing mine during the winter in a non-deiced aircraft, so inevitably there were quite a few cancelled lessons. By the time I'd finished my instructor was sick of the sight of me.

smithgd
12th Oct 2004, 16:47
Wrong Stuff....which school did you do it with?

alphaalpha
13th Oct 2004, 12:02
I did the (CAA) IR part time. Based on my experience, part time works OK, but you really need to concentrate on the training and put anything else out of your mind. You need to leave all your business/domestic/girl & boy friend issues at home. Otherwise you end up wasting very expensive hours.

I also found two training sessions in one day was the max that I could handle. One some days I tried one early sim session and two flying sessions, but this proved too much and the last session was largely a waste of time. Having time to think about the issues of each session afterwards and really learn the lessons will pay didvidends in speed of progress and cost.

However, I'm not superman. You may be. :p

AA.

smithgd
14th Oct 2004, 17:09
AA

Wish I was superman then I wouldn't need to bother with the licences :-)

54.98N
14th Oct 2004, 21:29
Smithgd,

As far as i'm aware all instrument logged time counts towards the max 25 hours allowed i.e. both PUT and P1 time.

Not sure about Part 61 reference as i'm away from home at the moment, and it's not part of my travelling library :) Give Naples Air Center, FL a tinkle. That's where I did my FAA IR and they'll be sure to give you the definitive answer.

Cheers,

54.98N

smithgd
15th Oct 2004, 17:37
54.98N

Thanks...